Resisting Temptation

I was reasonably content with my system, but had gone down the proverbial rabbit hole in an attempt to get the best out of it.

After a several months of many tweaks, I decided that I should upgrade my streamer.
I was using a Lumin U1 Mini USB --> Matrix SPDIF-2 --> Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 HDMI --> PS Audio DirectStream DAC i2S.

I have always aspired to get into the ‘wonderful world’ of dCS, so arranged to audition the Network Bridge.

My dealer set up the NB with the PS Audio DS & P15 Power Plant and Gryphon Diablo 300. They’re not a Wilson dealer, so used Magico A3’s.

As soon as I pressed start on my playlist, I was hooked!

During the audition, I kept looking at the various other dCS components on the racks next to the NB…

and started to wonder…

(you can guess where this is going)

I just couldn’t resist the temptation…

to hear the Bartok…

and then the Rossini DAC…
which was delivered yesterday, together with a Rossini Master Clock!

It sounds superb already, so I’m looking forward to the burn in process (I’m assuming 100 hours…?)

I failed to resist temptation, but what I’m hearing is amazing, and makes me very happy!

To quote John Miles;

Music was my first love
And it’ll be my last
Music of the future
And music of the past.
To live without my music
Would be impossible to do
In this world of troubles
My music pulls me through

5 Likes

Congrats Jonathan, and welcome aboard :grinning:

You can run it 24/7 for approximately 100 hours using its built-in, burn-in program, see manual.

Thanks Erno. I noticed the Burn in feature in the manual. I don’t have a secondary system, so will just enjoy the music as it burns in over the next few days. I also leave it on overnight, playing Radio Paradise (very quietly).

Congratulations on your new purchase. Yes that journey from Network Bridge to Rossini is so worthwhile. I also expect that whatever you may think of it now in a week or so you will be finding good things in your music that you never even anticipated existing!

I am not sure about the burn in generator conditioning the DAC itself but think it is really intended as an output to burn in your system. That is what the user manual says it is for. So I think it is similar to a demagnetising source that generates a sweep tone. It demagnetises the component it is connected to but doesn’t demagnetise itself. I am now expecting someone to correct me :wink:.

I like the idea of using music during burn in anyway as I do find it fun to identify a musical passage that doesn’t sound too good ( for me that’s usually the upper reaches of strings which can laser the ears) and listen every so often to see if the issue has resolved itself during the burn in ( sweetness reigns instead).

Thanks Pete. I am already hearing much more detail in my music which, until now, I didn’t know was there!
It’s as though a veil/musical obfuscation is gradually being removed.
I look forward to hearing the progressive unveiling as the burn in process continues.
The rest of my system is already burned in, but I’m now having fun rediscovering aspects of my music which, as you say, are now so much sweeter!

Simply love my rossini and clock, its such a great bit off kit

Congrats and welcome!

I agree Duncan. My only regret is that I wish I’d bought the Rossini & Clock sooner!

Thanks Greg

The first time i stumbled across the rossini, i knew i had to have one, and luckily i was able to add one to my system
Enjoy yours

Thanks Duncan.
My dealer set up my DAC with Mapper 2 and 2V Output. I’ve been experimenting, and have changed to Mapper 1 with the Output at 6V (I read the 6V vs 2V post on this forum).
Out of interest, which settings do you use?

Lucky Guy…Enjoy :+1:

Page 43 in the Bartók manual, mentions ‘Burn In’, but can’t see it in Mosaic, Settings > System Test?

Not every option is duplicated in Mosaic ( I checked with my Vivaldi). Burn in selection is one of them as is, for example, factory reset. Burn in is selected from the Bartok front panel menu.

Probably a good safety feature as if you were playing music loudly and a slip of a finger on the Mosaic device’s touch screen engaged burn in you may damage your loudspeakers.

Also note my comment above :

I am not sure about the burn in generator conditioning the DAC itself but think it is really intended as an output to burn in your system . That is what the user manual says it is for. So I think it is similar to a demagnetising source that generates a sweep tone. It demagnetises the component it is connected to but doesn’t demagnetise itself. I am now expecting someone to correct me :wink:.

1 Like
2 Likes

Always 6 volt
Map mostly on map 1
Dsd x 2
Filer mostly on filter1, but sometimes use filter 3
Dsd filter on filter 1
Clock well i switch between them all, but can’t really tell any difference when i do, unless i turn it off and forget to switch it back on

Interesting. Thanks Duncan.