Recognizing new files on NAS drive

I recently implemented a Sinology NAS with the minimserver app. I was able to transfer a folder of music files to the NAS and with some trial and error, got the Mosaic software to see and play the files.

Today, I purchased two new downloads of music. I moved the files from the computer’s download folder to the NAS and I can see the new music files in the same folder on the NAS as the original music files. I can see that the new files are the correct size and type.

BUT, Mosaic does NOT see the new files. It shows (and can play) all the original files, but not the two new files.

How do I make Mosaic see the new files and allow me to play them?
Thanks

When you add new files to NAS aside from loading them to the hardware you also have to load them into the UPnP server software. This is called “rescan”. With MinimServer you normally do this using MinimWatch which will find MinimServer and display a small green icon in the system tray. Click on this and you will see a selection of options. The top one of these is “rescan”.

2 Likes

…alternatively use the “Rescan” button on the MinimServer web interface on your Synology.

Best Regards

Phil

1 Like

Thanks… once I found Minimserver (under packages), I found the rescan button and that works.

It would be nice if there was a “button” in DCS Mosaic that would trigger this process without having to go into Synology and Minimserver. Perhaps in an update to Mosaic?

There’s no need to actually Craig.

On your Mac/PC that you use to transfer files to your Synology, bookmark onto your favourite Web Browser that MinimServer portal, Your_NAS_IP_Address:9790 (like you see on Phil’s image).

So, every time after you transfer files, just launch your Web browser and click that bookmark and hit [rescan], there’s no need to log into your Synology.

2 Likes

Hi Craig,

I’m afraid it isn’t possible for Mosaic to trigger off a rescan in MinimServer - MinimServer doesn’t have that kind of functionality exposed on a public API so it’s not possible for us to do that and also if it were possible then doing so would be something that was specific to MinimServer hence making the “Universal” in “Universal Plug N Play” somewhat incorrect and redundant. :slight_smile:

Mosaic SHOULD monitor the folders that it indexes for the addition of new files and automatically update its databases when new files are added however this can take several hours to complete and may only be triggered once every 24 hours - I don’t remember offhand which mechanisms MinimServer uses for monitoring for new files.

Cheers

Phil

3 Likes

I have simply put a shortcut to the NAS_IP_Address:9790 page onto my tablet which runs mosaic. Allows me to trigger a rescan directly from the tablet

1 Like

I think easiest way to deal with that is to install minimwatch on the computer and rescan from minimwatch after you add new files.

1 Like

Esoteric, Teac, Lumin, … allow to rescan minimserver from their control point app.
Regarding functionalities Mosaic is also behind many other things, but dCS sound is way better.
It seems we can’t have it all :grinning:

The only inadmissible point is no gap less playing for 24/192 flac files on dCS.

An example of the perils of implementing proprietary API calls into the Control Point App :laughing:

Hello @Anupc,

That post is 3 years old. Now it works perfectly. It was fixed long ago.

Please don’t get me wrong, I love dCS and I recommend it to all my friends, that are now migrating to dCS, but it doesn’t mean that we al sold to say the do everything well, they don’t.

On the above mentioned apps you can scroll down on your minimserver folder navigation picking the letter you need. On Mosaic, if you have 4000 you have to scroll them all to W, say wagner… on the other apps you can tap and holt on a folder and read the complete text, you can also tap on the small cover on the list and see full screen, and many other easy to use features. I can live with that, not really a problem.

HUGE problem is that dCS can’ read capless flac files 24/192. How they expect you to listen to an Opera , Oratorio … if it doesn’t play gapless that particular files?

The problem has been reported looooong ago and they ignore it.

I have a dCS worth 100.000€ + and can’t play gapless an opera on it.

24/192 is more frequent bay the day. Deustche Grammophon, Decca are now digitalizing old analogue recordings on 24/192, just to mention an example.

@Phil
Is dCS ever take care of that problem???

1 Like

Manel, I am alongside you in being frustrated by the gapped replay of very hi-res files. However was I hallucinating when I read a little time ago that this issue is on their “to do” list ?

However my main point is that this is drifting off topic as the thread is about recognising newly added files i.e. rescans. If you feel dCS need a nudge about gapless hen perhaps it may be better to create a new thread in the "dCS Products " category ?

Have you tried indexing the files. Certain times Synology NAS unless reindexed doesn’t show files on Mosaic. Also the file format should be one of the format Mosaic supports. I have several .iso files from SACDs Mosaic wouldn’t show them.

BTW with Synology NAS you don’t need minimserver rather the inbuilt audio server of NAS becomes DLNA server and Mosaic recognizes it.

That is understandable. The normal full process of ripping SACDs is completed by converting .ISO format ( which will not be recognised ) to .dsf or .dff formats ( which will). In fact later versions of ripping software have automatic conversion rather than some early ripping software (e.g. PS3 based) which require the user to undertake a separate process though the conversion software may be included in the package of executable files.

The potential issue is not that the file may not be found but that the loose interpretation possible with DNLA protocol can result in conflicting commands. This is why dCS recommend only MinimServer as they have ascertained that MinimServer and Mosaic speak the same language and ( to extend the metaphor) with the same accent.

Hi,

Be aware that Mosaic never “sees” the files on your NAS … the only things it sees are the lists and the “virtual” files presented to it by the UPnP server.

ISO images are not supported by Minimserver (as far as I am aware) and dCS provide no support for directly playing ISO images from - say - a USB memory stick.

Best Regards

Phil

1 Like

Hi Manel,

Can I refer you back to my earlier reply when you raised this previously…?

BR

Phil

2 Likes

Hi,

Mosaic should recognise any UPnP / DLNA servers on your network - we recommend using MinimServer because it has a proven track record of being maintained and for being a stable and reliable platform and because of this we test our products against Minimserver.

BR

Phil

1 Like

At long last !!!

After this update, now it plays gapless on 192, DXD … (using Mosaic and minimserver).

Mosaic 1.4.2 150 and Network Board 1.4.2 (511)

1 Like