I recently switched from TIDAL to Qobuz about 2 weeks ago. Play times have been very good on my Rossini as it usually takes 2 - 3 seconds to start playing a hires title.
Today I upgraded my Rossini network board version to 1.1.0 (503) and the Mosaic app to 1.1.0. The same Qobuz albums are now taking about a minute to play. I don’t think it’s a Qobuz issue as the same hires titles play on my Qobuz Android phone app in 1 - 2 seconds.
I don’t have an issue with playing titles from my SAN’s Minim server.
Anyone else experiencing issues with Qobuz play times?
Thanks in advance,
What’s an example of an album for which playback takes a long time to start?
Thanks Andrew. It doesn’t seem to be album specific but here are a few albums (all hires):
- Steely Dan - Gaucho
- Joni Mitch - Hejira, Court & Spark
You may need to go back and forth selecting various albums as the problem isn’t a bad after booting up the Rossini.
BTW, my WiFi has 53MB download and 7MB upload speed.
The issue isn’t specific to hires. I just loaded Jimi Hendrix - Axis Bold as Love (Redbook) and it took 2 minutes to play the 1st track.
I can’t reproduce the issue here, but I’m fairly certain that I know what’s going on. When we get the listing for the track contents of an album each track has a URL for the file to be streamed. When playback for a track is started we fetch that URL and it gets redirected to a server in the content delivery network that Qobuz is using. Either the redirect is taking a long time or the CDN node that your device is being pointed to is being very slow to respond. I’m guessing that it’s the redirect that’s taking a long time since there don’t appear to be any playback issues once the track starts.
This is a server-side issue and will likely correct itself.
The Qobuz app isn’t exhibiting this issue as they’re using a somewhat different mechanism to queue and play tracks.
Thanks Andrew. What will need to take place for the server-side issue to itself? Does the Rossini perform DNS resolution?
correcting a typo below.
What will need to take place for the server-side issue to correct itself? Does the Rossini perform DNS resolution?
I am seeing similar behavior using Roon. The delays in playback I am seeing are not with specific tracks, but just happen at random. I have always thought of this as “Qobuz is taking its time today”.
@jacobacci - is the Qobuz using Roon delay something that happened recently for you? In my initial 3 weeks on Qobuz, tracks played with 1 - 2 seconds. For me, the Qobuz delay started about December 18.
I haven’t looked at this systematically. It seems to me I noticed it the first time one or two months ago
I use Qobuz with Roon and sometimes directly in Mosaic and never encountered any problems.
I only use Qobuz directly via Mosaic these days. However as Qobuz is a different service in each territory that it serves it may be helpful if those having problems would identify which Qobuz service they subscribe to. NB: I am a subscriber to Qobuz UK and have no problems at all.
I live in Sweden but my account is in the UK. I use Qobuz many hours a day with zero problems.
Thanks to all of you that have replied and a special thanks to Andrew for the technical information on how Qobuz tracks are accessed via a URL. I did some more testing and I believe the Qobuz latency issue may be related to my home network, specifically my AT&T UVerse modem/router, model # 5268AC FXN. I also confirmed this suspicion by using my Qobuz phone app. When I use my home WiFi on my phone to connect to Qobuz, the latency is present. When I disable my phone WiFi , I experience the I briefly viewed some YouTube videos from users about the UVerse router’s DHCP service conflicting with other routers in their home network. Later today I’m going to follow the YouTube video instructions and I’ll report back to let everyone know the results.
Sorry, below I corrected some typos
Thanks to all of you that have replied and a special thanks to Andrew for the technical information on how Qobuz tracks are accessed via a URL. I did some more testing and I believe the Qobuz latency issue may be related to my home network, specifically my AT&T UVerse modem/router, model # 5268AC FXN. I also confirmed this suspicion by using my Qobuz phone app. When I use my home WiFi on my phone to connect to Qobuz, the latency is present. When I disable my phone WiFi, no latency on Qobuz, thus I suspect my home network to be the issue.
I briefly viewed some YouTube videos from users that have the same UVerse modem/router.
The YouTubes discussed the UVerse router’s DHCP service conflicting with other routers in their home network. Later today I’m going to follow the YouTube video instructions to manually configure the UVerse router to provide a static IP address to my home network router. I’ll report back to let everyone know the results.
I contacted AT&T re: the Qobuz latency issue. Much to my surprise, they offered to upgrade me to a fiber plan at 300MB for half the cost I’ve been paying for my 50MB plan. The tech also logged into my UVerse router and suggested changing the SSIDs to have only 1 SSID in my home network as this may be contributing to the Qobuz latency issue.
I don’t know if the upgrade to 300MB or changing to a single SSID or something else corrected my latency issue, but so far so good. I’ve been able to play an album from start to finish and repeat the album with no problem. I don’t think I’ve ever been able to let a Qobuz or TIDAL album repeat successfully. I can skip to the next track and also fast forward/reverse in tracks and it only takes 1 - 2 seconds.
Thanks once again for everyone’s input on this.