Only 1 song at a time?

Anup, I had missed your reply, but you are spot on.
Maybe Mosaic has it already and I haven’t found it (my bad), but yes, I’m hoping to be able to see my Qobuz playlists in Mosaic in grid/album view. You guys rock!

1 Like

I’m not sure a separate/distinct API call is necessary. All the album info that Mosaic needs is contained within the Playlist. I suspect it’s just a question of visual formatting (which no doubt is easier said than done :wink:)

Hi Pete,

Just a note to be aware that we do not directly access the Qobuz API …

We use Airable as a streaming service provider and so the hooks that we have are those into Airable, not Qobuz or TIDAL (etc.) and it is totally possible that some streaming services may offer functionality that we either can’t access or that we don’t access as it would be inconsistent with functionality that is available from other streaming services and would make Mosaic inconsistent as well as requiring a bunch of “special case” programming.

I have previously been in an environment where support for the various streaming services was implemented directly on the streamers themselves (rather than going via an aggregator) and it was a total 'mare to write and maintain your own interfaces to even 3 or 4 providers…

As always we’re happy to have things flagged to us to be looked into as to whether they should be / can be supported but we will always need to get full information to go along with that to give to the software team… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi,

There isn’t any way to have this view in Mosaic but I can (and will) flag it up to the devs to so see if it is something that could be supported - the thing is it really would need to be something that ideally would then need to be available over other services as well otherwise you’re getting into implementing special cases into Mosaic and that invariably becomes a bit of a nightmare to maintain going forward…

BR

Phil

Phil, thank you for being super helpful, and I really like your meme (I think that’s Baloo from the Jungle Book, which was a great character and voice actor). Anyway, I might be the only one that needs to view Qobuz playlists in album view (since I have several playlists with almost 1,000 tracks), but I think Roon allows that, so maybe I’ll just switch to Roon. After all, I bought the Bartok for its sound quality (which is better than expected). The Mosaic app, for me, was just a free added benefit. Thank you again!! Rush

Phil, any update? I can’t imagine I’m the only one that wants to see an “album” view. Why? Because that’s what artists release, and have since the beginning of the recording era. Artists don’t release tracks now and then, they release an album. Always have and still do. They think about the songs to be included in the album, they strongly consider the order (I’m an old artist and recording engineer, and have played on, engineered and released many albums). I.e., the album is the important thing, not just a jumble of tracks.
Why am I so adamant? Not only is the album the most important thing in all of music, but here’s the problem: If you have several “albums” in a playlist, Mosaic will only show them as a whole bunch of tracks (maybe dozens for a classical album). So how do you play the 4th album in a playlist of 6 albums? You can’t, at least not easily. If you play the first song/track on an album in the middle of a playlist, then it only plays that song/track. If you want to play the next song you have to pick up your device and play it, and so forth. If you start at the first album of the playlist (really just a list of tracks), you can click on “play all”, but you can’t “play all” of an album after the first one (in the playlist), even though the tracks (for that album) are listed in order, and the “album” is known. That backwards of how it should work, and how the industry (and artists) have chosen to release their music. The album is the important thing (according to the people that made it). So only allowing playlists of a long list of tracks is backwards. The default should be the album, not a list of tracks, because that’s what the artists release, and they always have.
So, why cannot Mosaic allow an album view, and the ability to play an album through, from a playlist, whether the album is first in the list or 5th. The metadata in the track (and thus the playlist) has the album information in it (and the album art), so why would it be so difficult to tell Mosaic to show an album view? It’s the most basic function that a player should be able to accomplish - to be able to see and play albums, as the artist released it and intended you to hear it. Being able to play various tracks in an album is fine, but it should be secondary to the ability to see and play the album.
If I can’t tell Mosaic to play an album (not at the top) of a playlist in Mosaic, is there a way to cause the Qobuz app to stream directly to my Bartok? Sorry to grouse, but it’s hard to imagine this is not the single most basic thing that a player should do.

Actually, you can, and it’s not difficult. For example, with the Qobuz “dCS Americas” Playlist, when you see the list of tracks, click on the vertical 3-dots on right of the track time of any track, and you’ll see a list of things you can do, including a “Go to album” selection near the bottom. Selecting that takes you to the album which you can then play in full.

Not until Qobuz themselves add a “Qobuz Connect” capability into their platform (which apparently is in development), and dCS can then incorporate that into Mosaic Processor (like they’ve done with Tidal Connect, and Spotify Connect).

In the mean time, you could re-direct Qobuz App plays via Airplay to your dCS. That does double the traffic on your home LAN though (once over the Internet to your device running the Qobuz App, and then back up to your dCS unit).

1 Like

Rush, your problem is that you are using Playlist for the wrong purpose. A Playlist is not an album store. It is what it says it is ; a list of songs to be played.

So for example, I have a Qobuz Playlist called “Pete’s Birthday”. This is a list of songs that are used as background music during a birthday gathering. In a way a Playlist is a digital equivalent of a cassette tape “mixtape”.

If you want to build a collection of albums on Qobuz you do not save them in a Playlist but use the other way of saving that Qobuz provides. Favourites. Then each album is saved as a separate entity and will be displayed as such.

2 Likes