Noise-Hiss-trouble shooting steps?

Good Morning, my Chain is as follows:

Lina DAC
Riveria AIC-10 AMP
Susvara HP
Roon Nucleus
MBP
Dedicated AC line run just to audio components
I run my Nucleus direct to my cable modem then to my network switch then to a direct run from my cable model to my Lina

Lately at times I am hearing quite a bit of what I would describe like a “Tape Hiss” like the old cassette days. At times it can be very distracting and spoil the otherwise terrific sound my system produces. I understand it can come from a number of areas. My question is can anyone suggest a starting point to trouble shoot this before investing additional $$$ on equipment fixes and the like? Any guidance will be appreciated.

1 Like

The connection should be: Cable modem → Network switch, and then both your Nucleus ánd Lina DAC should only be connected to your switch, all this by ethernet cables.

Please try this, and perhaps your hiss is gone.

If not, check your audio cables and plugs, also the ones on your Susvara. There may be a loose connection, or a plug not properly inserted.

Is that tube rush (or microphonics) from your Rivera’s input-stage 12AU7?

1 Like

As well as the excellent suggestions from @Ermos and @Anupc you could actually be hearing…tape hiss!

I say this as you are saying that it only occurs at times. Check if it only happens with the same recordings and at similar points. If they are from original recordings made before the 1970’s ( e.g. some classic rock) even though they have been digitised the treble response can still contain hiss. Sometimes post production steps are taken to minimise this but not always .

As I have mentioned elsewhere, headphones can act like audio magnifying glasses making such things more apparent than , say, via loudspeakers.

Thanks Guys, Im not totally finished moving things around. However just doing as suggested that the Lina and Nucleus connect off the switch it has already reduced the “Hiss” noise about 80%. I have some work on just rewiring and organizing my power supplies and cables on the switch. Tomorrow I expect to receive my new Nucleus One. When I set that up I will clean up the entire area I have my switch etc. Hopefully this will reduce it even more. Thanks again this was extremely helpful and its much appreciated.

2 Likes

Good to hear this, Anthony :+1:

On a related topic, Roon Nucleus One. I currently have a Nucleus with a 1 TB m.2 SSD mounted internally.

I am expecting delivery of the Roon Nucleus One tomorrow. I doing some additional reading I found a couple of potentially disappointing things out I was not expecting since this is their latest hardware offering. I may be missing something but here is what I understand. The Nucleus one does not have tany of the latest chip sets, in fact its chip set is several generation back (Intel Celeron) ???processor.
In addition you can no longer install M.2 SSD like Samsung Evos . Rather it only houses a 2.5 SATA drive . The Samsung 870 QVO I purchased has read/write speeds of 560mb/s??? which is light years slower than the 970 EVO M.@ ssd which is more like 3500mb/s. If I understand this correctly than how could this be improved for the Audiophile community??? Also if that is the case and I am not missing some other architecture improvement than I probably won’t even open the box and just send it back and research Plan B??? Anyone out there have better info?

Based on my comments below, I am researching a Melco solution potentially as an alternative. My question is how does Melco (like N1) work with Lina DAC and what streaming/service can I access?

Qobuz and Tidal through Mosaic with Melco? I am a little fuzzy on what would change for me in using my set up?

On a related topic, Roon Nucleus One. I currently have a Nucleus with a 1 TB m.2 SSD mounted internally.

I am expecting delivery of the Roon Nucleus One tomorrow. I doing some additional reading I found a couple of potentially disappointing things out I was not expecting since this is their latest hardware offering. I may be missing something but here is what I understand. The Nucleus one does not have tany of the latest chip sets, in fact its chip set is several generation back (Intel Celeron) ???processor.
In addition you can no longer install M.2 SSD like Samsung Evos . Rather it only houses a 2.5 SATA drive . The Samsung 870 QVO I purchased has read/write speeds of 560mb/s??? which is light years slower than the 970 EVO M.@ ssd which is more like 3500mb/s. If I understand this correctly than how could this be improved for the Audiophile community??? Also if that is the case and I am not missing some other architecture improvement than I probably won’t even open the box and just send it back and research Plan B??? Anyone out there have better info?

Close

Anthony , this is moving away from the topic . So I will briefly say that Melco needs to be configured as NAS or full streamer on installation ( part of set-up). For use with dCS and Mosaic you select NAS . As well as network in, Melco also has a dedicated “out” network player port. so you connect Lina to this . Internet sources (Qobuz/Tidal etc.) therefore effectively pass through Melco. Your local files stored on Mlelco are also sent to Lina via this. Mosaic continues to work as usual.

If you configure Melco as a full streamer instead you cannot use Mosaic. There is a dedicated USB port for connection to a USB DAC. Control is then made via the Melco HD app ( iOS only). The Melco app allows ( from memory)Tidal, Qobuz but off hand I don’t know about others.

As with all dCS units , network connection is however superior to USB so IMO use as NAS is preferable.

There is also the question of using the S100 switch with it. I would suggest a home trial first.

I have no comments on Roon.

Thanks, I understand. as usual just looking to improve my streaming quality. ( Lina DAC has been my one constant so Im not really looking for a solution that takes me away from DCS DAC’s (Maybe I should go back and relook at Bartok as I did not have Apex when I had mine? That’s for responding

Also just to be clear, a Melco N1 configured as a NAS will work with my Lina DAC without compromise ? Just set it up as noted and Mosaic can continue to provide the interface with links to my Qobuz and Titdal (I also subscribed to Audirvana recently as I read it worked with DCS and Lina DAC specifically to ensure quality and compatibility.) As I mostly stream but have over 1000 albums I ripped to storage (some out of print) I am just looking at a set up many thousands of $$$$ and just want to make sure I am doing all I can to maximize the quality of my streaming with it. The Melco interest in purely to look at it if its a potential improvement in sound quality to Roon? Any and all tips along these lines is much appreciated

Yes. Exactly that. You also transfer your 1000 album rips to the storage in Melco. I try to avoid subjective comments and will leave it that you are unlikely to be disappointed.

Given that Lina is entry level for dCS I would say that NI may be considered OTT. All of the Melco models of the same generation are mostly similar and if you don’t require the extra luxury casework and the additional USB ports ( you don’t as far as I can see), one of the lower models in the range may be more suitable and save you a lot of money e.g. N5 or N100 ( with Melco the lower the number, the higher in the range).

I would also point out the S100 switch. As I am not going to make an SQ judgement I would suggest try it and see; it’s a personal choice.

Bartok Apex? dCS ensure that each step up their hierarchy of products provides both a measurable and audible improvement. Remember that most dCS sales in the main 2 channel market are made by demonstration.

As you should use ethernet connection remember that unshielded cables are correct for dCS products. You really do not need costly cables made from exotic materials.

I do not have Roon and cannot make any comment regarding SQ. However I do not recall reading any post saying that Mosaic is not preferable on this ground. However the Roon GUI may be liked better if you need what it provides which, I imagine, is excellent.

Do not overlook an Antipodes server with a Samsung PM893 installed. Well worth investigating.

I concur.
I’m very happy with my K41 Gen. 4, with Samsung PM893 (x2) installed.

Happy 4th Pete. Your unshielded cable comment gave me pause to think. I had a full Meridian audio set up a couple years back. I remembered how much I liked using their Speaker link cable. Do think I can use that with my streaming connections?

I ask because I am battling with “Hiss” noise on and off at different levels. Yesterday during playback I had virtually none , today it sounds like I am playing a cassette deck. I have had installed a dedicated ethernet line along with PS audio grade dedicated a/c plug-in outlets installed for the Lina. I am using nether unmanaged gigabit network with located where the Cox modem is. I trying to trouble shoot where my issue may be, Cox Modem/router ( should I go the separate modem, separate router set up?)etc. That’s why all the melco questions. I have a system that is pretty TOTL high end but I’m so frustrated I can’t clean up the sound. My next planned move was to move up to a Bartok Apex but I don’t want to keep investing until I can figure out how to clear the background noise which is sometimes worse than other times??? Any thoughts would be appreciated

Meridian rate their cable as “Cat 7”. That means that it is shielded. Shielded cables are not really suitable for dCS units because the shield needs to be routed to earth. dCS units do not have connectors with the lugs for this. In regard to induced noise, unshielded cables are designed to reject this anyway. So unshielded cables such as properly certified Cat 5e UTP are good for this purpose. However I think that is likely to be a red herring with regard to your hiss issue.

I am afraid that as I have no hands on experience of your issue I, and others, have suggested some possibilities. I particularly like @Anupc and his suggestion that a tube in your headphone amp may be a cause. Can you hear any hiss through your cans when music is not being played? If you turn them up to try this be very sure to turn them down again before further use.

2 Likes

Thanks for the response. FYI, the AIC10 is brand new just a couple of weeks old so possible but I think unlikely the tube would be the issue. In addition there is no sound at all coming from the headphone when no tracks are playing.

That said I just got the new Roon Nucleus one to. replace my older one. Ill check the network connections and wires I guess as although the same ones my ethernet cables I did move around a bit.?

Also I do have Silver Dragon network cable from Moon Audio from my RJ45 Wall jack to the Lina DAC and from my Network switch to my Cox Modem . Do you think that can be a possible issue?

1 Like

Cat6 opt ok?

As Pete says in his earlier post;

Some people choose to buy ‘exotic’ Ethernet cables which is, of course, their choice…

However, for any dCS system, all one really needs is a properly certified Cat 5e Ethernet cable.

Fibre Optics is another matter, which I cannot comment on, as I’ve never felt the need to try it.
I’m happy with the sound from my Cat 5e set up.