No female dCS owners?

We know women love music and make the most amazing music.

But HiFi is a hobby and most hobbies are male dominated because fact is, when do women have time for a hobby given 75% of all the unpaid caring work (for children and elderly parents) and domestic work is done by women? That includes women who work full time too.

My source? I’ve been reading this…

When you read that, the sad truth is that HiFi is designed by men for men. Imagine if we were to ask women, would you like beautifully reproduced music and how? What would they say?

Paul

1 Like

About that Philips EL3302… I can feel the controls under my fingers as I type. My mother bought me one when I was 10, 11 maybe. Press forward to play, pull back to stop, move sideways to fast forward/rewind. Press the red button, and then the main control (forwards), to record. No “premium remote”, no puzzling over a manual, and definitely no buttons so small they have to be operated with a fingernail! I’m looking at you, dCS.

Back to the topic: no responses from female audiophiles, then? At least the women in our lives appreciate the music (and provide good unbiased advice), and realise that this is a hobby that keeps men off the streets and generally out of trouble. It can be darned expensive, though, as we all know.

1 Like

Me too! After falling in love with the machine, I had to have one myself, and begged my parents for a long year, until Santa Claus came along :heart_eyes:

One year later, after more begging, he brought me a genuine Philips mono speakerbox, to connect to the DIN socket at the side. My first audio upgrade of many :grinning:

But no Ethernet jack, eh? :wink: Ditto on those dCS buttons.

My GF was heavily involved in the listening and deciding factors to get a Bartok.
When the world was normal, we used to go to gigs all the time, so our love of music was there long before our love of hi-fi. We just have less time now, so have to value greater quality when we do get time to sit in our living room and listen to music (and drink wine).
I think a lof of wives, husbands, partners, GF/BF’s to the main hi-fi enthusiast in the house has a big interest in the equipment and thus the purchasing decision. We would not have bought the Bartok unless we BOTH were 100% on it :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi,

Actually there is a big difference between going to concerts/gigs and having/buying a HiFi stereo. I know many girls who very often go to concert and they listen to music with the speaker of their smartphone…A sociologist should study why girls are not that interested in buying hifi systems, even though there are some exceptions. Not sure, but it seems to be the same with headphones…

I was commenting on my situation Chris. Hence the use of “we” referring to us specifically.

Hi, of course, it was clear in your message. But I was just wondering why some people, not only girls actually, enjoy live sessions and just don’t care listening music at home, with a decent stereo ?

If you can solve that one Chris - you may be on your way to solving a conundrum of why so many people listen to music on iPhones or Beats headphones. Mad isn’t it.

1 Like

Oh no, it’s even worse in headphones. I’m pretty sure that is an asexual reproductive system.

2 Likes

At least in part due to finance

my iPhone-toting twenty-something kids would think me insane if they knew how much I’ve spent on hifi

they would buy a couple of cars or make a downpayment on a property instead

Yes but that does not explain why people pay a lot more for beats headphones than for a nice pair of Grado headphones?

It’s marketing

1 Like

That’s the only one reason :laughing:

2 Likes

Professor Jordan Peterson nailed it when he stated “Women like to work with people, and men like to work with things” when he was explaining career choices difference between the genders… He also coin the tern “Scandinavian Paradox” to explain how efforts to change this behavior by governments have lead to the opposite effect…

In a nutshell… if you want a hobby that attracts women, electronics and audiophile isn’t the one.

3 Likes

Yet the first computer programmers / software engineers during and after the war were women.

Don’t confuse the shortage of manpower during the second war, and the job description of computer operator/programmer with designing them from scratch or the original development of said computers by the kind of nerds that do Amateur Radio and electrical engineers…

1 Like

Have to share this in defence of the better half…http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2011/02/in-1842-ada-lovelace-wrote-the-worlds-first-computer-program/

1 Like

My wife convinced me to buy the Rossini after one week of home testing the Bartok.
Then I turned the Rossini DAC into a Rossini Player and added in a Rossini clock for good measure.
But she started it all.

4 Likes

Welcome to the community, Zapp, and kudos to your wife!