Nintendo switch and Vivaldi dac/upsampler

Is anyway I can connect Nintendo with Vivaldi system?

I find some informations about this. But cant find a way to connect Vivaldi system’s usb interface with Switch.

I]I think I'm seeing a pattern of what is supported by the Switch. Most likely only C-Media based USB chipsets using UAC1 (There is a report that Savitech SA9027 works too). -Either natively (chipset only has UAC1 support) -Configured by manufacturer (chipset has support for UAC1 and UAC2 but configured by the manufacturer to be in UAC1 only) -Via a hardware switch (chipset has both UAC1 and UAC2 but the mode is set through the use of a switch)

Just use a HDMI → HDMI+Audio adapter.

Many on Amazon for under $50. Like;

HDMI2HDMI-Audio

The connectivity would be;

• From your Nintendo Switch Hub HDMI Out to this Adapter’s HDMI IN.
  • This Adapter’s HDMI OUT goes to your TV HDMI input
  • This Adapter’s S/PDIF TOSLink OUT (or RCA) goes an appropriate Vivaldi S/PDIF input
  • Set Vivaldi DAC clocking to “Audio” on that S/PDIF input port

Hi Anup,

Thank you for replying.

I am using this one now:

But when I connect to upsampler, there will be unnatural high frequency sound.
It doesn’t happen when I am using DAC’s TOSLINK interface. Also, without the clock, I can’t set dac to ‘DAC Buffer’, it will cause delay.

But the sound will disappear 1-2 seconds at some point for both upsampler and DAC’s toslink interface.

So I wonder if I can connect Switch’s usb interface to dcs’s usb interface directly.

If you mean your audio via TOSLink is dropping out every few seconds, thats likely because your Upsampler/DAC clocking is configured incorrectly. They need to be sync’ed to the incoming audio stream on that TOSLink input;

• If you’re connecting directly to the DAC’s TOSLink port (SPDIF4), then set the DAC’s Sync mode to “Audio” for that TOSLink input.

• If you’re connecting to the Upsampler’s TOSLink input, then both the Upsampler and DAC need to be sync’ed to that TOSLink input;
    –Connect your Upsampler’s Word Clock OUT port to the DAC’s Word Clock IN3 port with a 75 Ohms BNC clock cable
    –Set your Upsampler’s Sync Mode to “Audio” for that TOSLink input
    –Set your DAC’s Sync Mode to “W3” (Word Clock 3)

That should fix the audio drop outs when using the TOSLink inputs.

I don’t think you can. As far as I know, the 2 x USB ports on the Dock are for charging the unit, for a USB-LAN adapter or USB-Keyboard, etc., but, if I’m not mistaken, they don’t supports Audio output to any DAC (hence the need for an external HDMI → Audio adapter).

Good luck! :crossed_fingers:t2: :grin:

Just to echo Anup, see this ( and similar advice is available for other brands of hub/switch USB ports):

Hi Anupc,

Thanks again for replying!

Unfortunately I am using USB port for audio output now. As you can see in the picture:

Thank you so much for your advices and apologies for my poor English.
The sound dropping out, but not so often.
And I connect my DAC and Upsampler with Clock, that’s why I said I can turn on ‘DAC buffer’ by using Upsampler’s interface, otherwise the sound will be delayed.
But if I using upsampler’s interface, the breaking sound is my main problem, it happened at some point. When I change from DSDx2 to 48(the same as input), it does not happen that often.Becuse of dual aes, the music is upsample to 96, the problem is still the same. (It still happen when I turn on the ‘Clone Mode’.
And I connect them like this:

And I got this information from reddit, and there are list of DAC works. But I can’t understand this conclusion.

I’ve seen some descriptions of people using USB Headphones with the Switch, so it’s possible I guess! Unfortunately I no longer have a Nintendo Switch at home to try.

Unfortunately knowing the chipset used is not going to help to get the USB Audio working if you tried and it didn’t work.

Thats the right way to connect a full Vivaldi stack.

However, you need an additional clocking connection and configuration (as I described in my previous post) if you want to properly synchronise to external S/PDIF sources which do not support clock inputs.

This is explained very briefly in the Vivaldi DAC manual on page 27, paragraph 3;

Word Clock In3 is primary intended to be connected to the Upsampler’s Word Clock Output to improve performance with sources that do not have a Word Clock input.

So, if you’re using TOSLink input on the Upsampler, you have set this up or else there will be clock slips and audio drop outs, even if infrequent.

By the way, sorry, I can’t understand what you’re trying to say about the buffer and DSDx2 to 48 etc.

Thank you very much. I will read and try again tonight!

This is what I mean. With clock’s help, even if I turn it on. Delay is pretty small.
The upsampler has many output option from 48 to DSDx2.
When I set to higher one, it always has some ‘broking sound’(cant find a correct word for it), but when I set to 48 which the same as my input. The situation is going to be much better.

Sorry, I still can’t understand what you’re trying to say.

Actually, the Clock synchronisation has nothing to do with Buffer and Delay setting. As indicated in the manual, the DAC buffer setting is designed to cater to sample rate changes.

But what has this got to do with the Nintendo Switch? :thinking: The Nintendo will only output PCM, so just set the Upsampler to upsample everything to DXD, then you don’t have to worry about any sample rate change on the DAC, just leave the buffer off for minimum latency between video and audio.

When I turn on the ‘DAC buffer’,
the delay between DAC’s interface and Upsampler’s interface is quite different when I do this compare:
Switch - audio clock - dac
Switch - word clock - upsampler - dac

(I know this is wrong now. I will try the word clock 3 setting tonight! Thank you very much for point out.

Oh yes, they will be different of course as the Upsampler will add additional latency to the audio, but the Clocking configuration will have nothing to do with the latency of the audio.

By the way, when you tested USB audio, did you try switching the Vivaldi to “USB Audio Class 1” (see DAC manual page 15), as based on your reddit quote, it seems that the Nintendo Switch may be limited to “UAC1” only? :thinking:

Hi Anupc,

Yes! I try both USB1/2. Neither of them work. PS5 is the same. (No idea why they remove toslink interface at PS5)

Hi Anupc,

When I do this setting, the sound will suddenly stop sometimes (the dac will lose signal and reconnect again after 1 sec. )

Is the problem the same if you connect the TOSLink directly to the Vivaldi DAC and configure Sync mode on the DAC to “Audio”?

If the problem is the same in both cases - connecting to the DAC directly vs. connecting to Upsampler+DAC (with proper clock configuration in both cases) - then the issue is likely to be with the source. :thinking:

Since the Nintendo Switch/Dock does not have a native TOSLink interface, where is that TOSLink coming from? What Adapter (brand/model) are you using? You might need to get a better one that properly conforms to the S/PDIF, TOSLink specification (IEC 60958)

Hi Anupc,

It is glad to get your reply.

No. They are different. When I connect to DAC and set to Audio, the DAC will lost signal and reconnect. But the music doesn’t stop. Otherwise everything is the same.

And when I connect the DAC+Upsampler+clock by setting to auto word clock, the previous problem doesn’t happen. But their is a new problem. The music will suddenly become fading or sharp at random time. (I successfully got the recording. But I don’t know how to show you)

I use two way to seperate the sound: the blue convertor or TV’s toslink out. They have the same problem. It is pretty hard to get a new try in New Zealand. :sleepy:

If the problem is the same from both this blue box and your TV TOSLink audio out, then it’s really an issue with the source, i.e. the Nintendo Switch Dock. I don’t think you’re going to easily solve this problem without spending more time and money :sweat_smile:

Maybe the following thread will give you some ideas - the Wyred4sound Reclocker seems to work well to address TOSLink issues into dCS systems.

Hi Anupc,

This link is pretty helpful!
Unfortunately I am using LG tv too. :joy:

And when I change the sync setting to auto word clock. The problem is gone. But the new problem come up: the fading/sharp sound.

I will send the recording to technical support to see why.