New to dCS. Lina DAC

Hi, I’m Colin, and I’m new to the dCS family, having just purchased a Lina DAC.

I’m using it in my 2 channel system, comprising an Audio Research Ref 6SE preamp, Ref 75SE power amp and Quad ESL 57 speakers.

The Lina replaced a Schiit Yggdrasil DAC, which despite its price point was a very good DAC. The Lina is better by far. Out of the box that much was obvious. I’ve been burning it in with a combination of music and the burn-in feature.

I know it’s not going to be long before I buy the clock to go with it. Will it be the Lina clock or the Rossini clock ? I don’t know yet.

Lots to read here, so I look forward to contributing to the forum.

Thanks
Colin

9 Likes

Welcome to the community, Colin, and enjoy your new Lina(s).

1 Like

A special hello from me as well. I believe there are not too many of us electrostatic speaker owners within the dCS community. I also used to power my Martin Logan’s with Audio Research kit prior to migrating to Chord electronics amplification. Love them both. As a Lina user I suspect you will find a healthy community of electrostatic headphone (or should I say ear-speaker) users. I replaced my SME turntable front end with a dCS Rossini and clock after a brief flirtation with a Chord DAC.

1 Like

The Quad ESL 57 are wonderful speakers often voted as among the best ever produced. I used them from 1970 to 1986 ( replaced with 63s then ATC actives).

However the speaker has its own foibles and one thing that does catch my eye is your use with AR Ref 75 SE amps. What I am going to say depends upon the 57s you have and their provenance.
Original 57s did not have protection circuits and were designed to be used with low powered amplification, namely the Quad II - 15W/channel from KT66s. Refurbished 57s will sometimes have protection fitted but you need to find out if you do not already know.

The issue is that 57s with no protection are vulnerable to voltages greater than those for which they were designed. Excess voltages will burn holes in the membranes. The speaker may be in danger if experiencing voltages in excess of 33V peak to peak. You should check with AR what this figure is for the 75SE as it is not a quoted specification.

4 Likes

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your reply. My association with Quad’s goes back to 1978. I’ve had three pairs since then, including my current pair. The most recent two have been fitted with protection circuits.

The current pair were restored by a gentleman in Florida, Wayne Picquet of Quads Unlimited. He did a first class job. I believe he’s no longer in business, however.

As I’m well-acquainted with these speakers I’m definitely mindful of their low power requirement. I never drive them hard. Apart from anything else my domestic situation doesn’t allow it.

I also have a pair of ESL 63’s, also restored, that I swap with them on occasion.

Thanks
Colin

3 Likes

Count me in with the electrostat lovers (very fond memories of both 57s and 63s), and electrostat headphone owners (Stax X9000) — lovely to have you here, Colin!

You may not hear a difference with the Clock. I notice it in seconds, but you may not be afflicted by the same sensitivity. All is not (yet) lost! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi Ben,

Thanks. I am very sensitive when it comes to any kind of change, unfortunately for my wallet. We’ll see. I may ask my dealer if he’ll loan me a clock for a few days. Can’t hurt to ask.

Thanks
Colin

1 Like

Ha — it could definitely hurt to ask :wink:

I’m convinced that Gregg (who we both seem to know) doesn’t want to compare a Vivaldi Clock to his Rossini Clock for exactly that reason. Mind you, his system sounds pretty bloody good, so maybe it’s a “not broke, don’t fix” kind of thing.

3 Likes

Hahaha, now that you put it that way, yes, it could definitely hurt to ask. I’m considering the Rossini clock, my thinking being that I will more than likely upgrade to the Rossini anyway, so why not get the clock now and bypass the Lina clock ?

1 Like

This might be sacrilege, but I’d get the Lina Clock. The Rossini Clock is a good deal more cashish new, seldom comes up second hand (if that’s how you buy), and would pair less beautifully visually with the Lina DAC.

I still fully expect to have a Lina DAC and Clock powering a pretty tube amp and some DeVores one day, even though I have nothing but love for my full-width gear and my Von Schweikert speakers.

2 Likes

Because unless you have fixed plans for buying Rossini at a defined time which can be relied on ( like using a retirement lump sum) rather than it being just an aspiration, you may never actually do it. I agree with @all2ofme .

1 Like

Hi Colin and welcome!!
Congratulations on getting the Lina, couldn’t be happier with mine, preferred it over the bartok.
I was close to a used Rossini player but the form factor of the Lina won out.
Unfortunately the Lina clock once heard can’t be unheard, so saving frantically for mine.

3 Likes

Hi Pete,

I take your point, but it is my plan to purchase a Rossini in a year or two. Not an aspiration, hence it made more sense to me to buy the Rossini clock in the meantime as a stepping stone.

Colin

2 Likes

Welcome Colin and enjoy your dCS Lina.

1 Like

Welcome Colin

I’m also an electrostatics fan, and as I’m moving on my main pair I may end up with some Quads in the near future. Mainly I listen on headphones though, SR-007 and SR-X9K.

I’m curious about the differences between clocks, and watch your journey on that front with interest. (I have a Rossini clock but am curious what a Vivaldi clock would bring.)

2 Likes

Update. I purchased a Rossini clock and picked it up from the dealer today. Right out of the box I could hear an improvement overall. A general opening up of the sound, improved depth and an almost 3D effect.

I’d say it’s a substantial improvement to my ears and has lifted the Lina up a notch or two. I’d like to get used to it in my system, then my dealer says he’ll loan me some clock cables to play with.

Colin

4 Likes

Will look forward to your thoughts on clock cables - I need to be convinced :grinning:

1 Like

How did you decide on the Rossini clock over the Lina clock, to use with the Lina?

1 Like

@andrewt

I chose the Rossini clock because I thought it would make more sense if I upgrade to a Bartok or a Rossini then I already have the clock.

1 Like

@frederick184

Isn’t it fascinating how our audio journeys, though personal, can share such striking similarities? I felt a sense of connection reading about your transition to the Lina DAC and your affinity for the Ref 75SE.

I have a special place in my heart for the Ref 75SE. Its marriage of clean, linear power with a warm and enveloping tone, courtesy of the KT150 tubes, is something akin to art. Every listen is an intimate concert, a personal serenade.

I ventured into the realm of solid-state not as a step up but as a journey into a different sonic landscape. It’s not about superiority but rather a different flavor of musical expression. The precision and clarity it offers coexists with the rich, immersive warmth of the tube sound, each with its own distinct allure and character.

For those considering a switch or looking to amplify another space in their home or office, both my Ref 75SE and Yggy are currently listed on Audiogon. It’s a golden opportunity to immerse oneself in a distinct auditory experience or bring that signature sound into a new environment.

In an uncanny twist of fate, my journey mirrors yours, even with our DAC choices. Your ponderings on the choice between the Lina and Rossini clocks struck a chord with me. Every piece, every tweak in our setups, isn’t just technical—it’s deeply personal, almost spiritual.

I’m eager to follow your journey and share in the discoveries and the subtle transformations each new piece brings to our auditory experience.