New Switch - Any suggestions

And to reduce your bank balance.

5 Likes

Good riposte!

Why is the burden of proof on the critical listener who hears sonic differences?

We know from experience, the limitations of pure measurement approaches. We also know that the discovery of noises and how they impact sound is an ongoing journey.

Thanks, Anup :slight_smile:

1 Like

The burden of proof should be with the manufacturer. Ansuz, unfortunately, fails miserably in this regard (as do many others).

In the absence of any objective evidence from the manufacturer, or worst still, when bogus claims are made, it falls on the technically-savvy consumer(s) to seek out the truth. Don’t beat yourself up if you don’t have the ability or knowledge to investigate objectively :laughing:

1 Like

I think the Ansuz founder worked for Nordost ( or Gryphon?), so my guess is they know a little bit technology. Apart from that I do a/b/c testings in my setup f.ex cables, NAS, switches, so if they claim they use Voodoo to improve SQ and I don‘t hear it‘s just marketing then.
So we have two parties again, one say measurement is key and the other say listen to it. I‘m in the second boat (price- of course- is a different animal…)
Anyway, it seems that the digital domain is a mine field for some folk…

1 Like

If your hear any difference, it can only be related to the level of noise in your system - the music signal is not changed.

But why spend 3.000 - 5.000 EURO on a switch, when reduction of noise can be done for a fraction of that price.

Torben

1 Like

I had some LAN filters (isolators) here for testing as well, imho they made strange things regaring SQ…, so I ended up not to use it and focus on short Ethernet cables (50cm-1m max, shielded), better NAS system, better powersupplies (Sbooster for Nucleus f.ex) and better switches. Of course LAN filter/isolator may work for some in their setup! What really sucks (sorry to say) is this try&error approach…that costs time and my wife’s patient :slight_smile: because our living room looks like a messy studio…

3 Likes

The effective values of the interference from the isolators will increased and an increase in interference can also be seen in the audio frequency range.

I can’t recommend them.

Torben

2 Likes

Likewise a man without experience is man without an opinion.

Until you and others here try these Ansuz devices with a dCS dac then you are not adding any value to the discussion.

I’m pretty sure I’ve “heard” more Ethernet Switches than you can count with both your hands and feet :slight_smile:

There’s absolutely nothing Ansuz does that’s “extraordinary” with respect to Ethernet Switches. Absolutely nothing. On top of which they have a number of totally absurd and bogus claims.

3 Likes

Yet you disparage what myself and others hear in this Ansuz switch.

We should have a more civil discussion here that includes people reporting honestly hear in this switch with a dCS system.

I have not read anything which I interpret as disparaging or uncivil. I am simply reading an engineers comments, based on his training and the science behind the ethernet standard and switches. I for one like hearing from a trained engineer - especially one who happens to listen to a totl hifi system :laughing:

Hifi dealers who sell the stuff - call me not particularly impressed. I just had a conversation with a former dCS dealer who gave up the franchise 2 years ago. Even though he sold the Vivaldi system for all those years he was astonished to hear from me that the Vivaldi clock puts out a warning message on the front panel when recalibration is required. He had absolutely no idea. I have had conversations with some dealers who have no idea how streaming works or that Qobuz streams full resolution files. I needed to explain the difference between uncompressed and Tidal MQA files.

Unfortunately many dealers I know have little knowledge of the products they sell. Good ones are far and few between. I always welcome an engineers perspective, particularly the dCS folk who actually design the equipment. If a dCS engineer tells me to use an unshielded spec CAT6 cable from Amazon then I am fine with that. It saves me money buying a Chord Music ethernet cable at $6k :laughing:
I also own a Linn Klimax DS which I use in a headphone system. Back in the days of the original Linn forum their engineers made a point of recommending a Netgear consumer grade switch for their $25k Klimax DS box. I believe this recommendation is still posted online in the Linn Documents section of their website. They are now on record as recommending optical with the new NGKDS as they have implemented optical ports on the back.

5 Likes

+1 I see nothing disparaging in @Anupc responses. IMHO his posts are among the most informed and well written on the forum.

I came to dCS because of the rock solid DAC engineering and networking implementation. The later requires no special ancillary equipment to achieve maximum performance.

I think it is safe to say the forum here has been dominated by networking dialog over the past few months. I feel for those new to the dCS brand trying to wade through all of this. When the reality is the manufacturer clearly states that all one needs to do is to connect their dCS, DAC, bridge or up-sampler to their router via unshielded cat5e to perform as the manufacturer intends.

3 Likes

Hi @Anupc

Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t you say that a clean power source for ethernet switches does make a difference? It looks to me like they’ve put a lot of effort into this side of things.

J.

2 Likes

Healthy debate is always a good thing and I think it’s fair to say that those new (and those not new) to dCS will probably ignore those subjects they have no interest in.

I generally don’t comment as the conversation seems circular, but that shouldn’t stop those who have valid questions from asking them.

That’s fine but my point is that T38 and I also are trying to share devices and approaches that worked for us. Anup is dismissing our opinions by effectively saying that it cannot be true.

1 Like

Same here, I had Ansuz D2 switch + Rossini, everything worked great.

1 Like

For the record, I have absolutely no problems with anyone posting about subjective preferences, for example;

However, when that subjective preference crosses-over into objective territory, for example;

Then, please be prepared to receive arguments and requests for objective evidence. Otherwise it’s just a classic lazy anecdotal fallacy. :laughing:

1 Like

Jeremy, Ethernet Switches with built-in Switching Power Supplies with proper regulators and filters are perfectly fine.

If you check my posts related to Ethernet Switch Power Supplies, they’re in the context of Fiber Media Converts and the need to avoid using those very cheap external Switching PSUs near sensitive Audio kit especially because they’ll spew noise back into the AC mains.

As I mentioned before, there’s nothing that an Ansuz Switch is doing for $3,00-$6,000 that can’t be achieved simply at 1/10th that price.

1 Like