New Switch - Any suggestions

Not quite, Erno. I had a typo in my post that Paul corrected; the 8T-E-2G-L model is non-PoE but with an external 12V power brick (I actually have a unit at home though not in use). The PoE external PSU version has 54V Power Brick.

1 Like

Maybe I’m missing something, then why are you looking for a new switch? :thinking: What Switch is it?

1 Like

YES - And i many cases it locks you trying new SFPs.

But that is not the only thing to watch out for. Some of the above SFPs need attenuator when it is below XX km.

In the case of GLC-EX-SMD:
Distance ≤ 10km = Attenuator 10dB

Torben

Allow me… :blush: I don’t understand why either.

Thanks Anup. It looks quite confusing on the Cisco website.

Oh dear. I notice a problem with that setup….

…it’s missing a dCS DAC

:rofl:

Yeah, Cisco has so many products, and many that overlap in functionality :man_facepalming:t2:

2 Likes

All this seems rather complex. I’m using an ‘ 8 Switch’ Chord owns the company. It is unmanaged, great quality and not expensive.

1 Like

Presumably yours is installed just before your streamer where it will make the biggest difference to sound quality. @torbenrick is looking to replace his switch at the router end, which feeds into his optical chain, hence his not seeking an audiophile switch. :+1:

I can safely recommend the Ansuz Powerswitches. They took my Rossini Apex to a new level.

2 Likes

As above, Torben seeks a non-audiophile switch at the router end of things rather than an audiophile switch at the streamer end of things.

1 Like

Just installed the new Ansuz A3 switch with my Rossini and Melco. It‘s Ansuz‘s 3.rd generation. SQ is fantastic- very quiet, large soundstage, big improvements vs Gen2!
But it still doesn’t work with upnp/mosaic (same for Gen 2 switches). After a few minutes listening all upnp servers disappear, though roon works. Radio and Qobuz work as well. Honestly I‘m very frustrated…

…and if you remove the ANSUZ switch what happens?

BR

Phil

1 Like

If I switch back to the Innuos switch it works again. I was hoping that Ansuz fixed the problem with Gen3…

You may want to start a new thread on this (and link to it here), as this thread is about non-audiophile switches i.e. someone simply looking for a port replicator.

That must be hugely frustrating. Keep us posted - wherever!

1 Like

Oh, that’s too bad.

By the way, what mode is your Melco’s “UPnP Compatibility” set to?

My qnap and synology didn‘t work as well…

Do you happen to have a generic/stock/budget switch anywhere on the premises? If the Innuos works and a generic switch works, I’d be asking for a refund if you can’t get this sorted; you’ve been loyal in sticking with the brand and have the right to be disappointed.

I’m struggling to imagine why any switch would stop UPnP (or anything else for that matter) from working… whatever magic it’s doing to stop noise in its tracks, ethernet should be working how ethernet works and how UPnP works.

1 Like

You might want to read this thread for the history behind this issue with Ansuz Switches;

The problem seems to stem from the lack of support (or testing?) for mDNS (which UPnP depends on).

All switches should support it, yet some appear not to. The most common culprit appears to be some home routers, followed (it seems) by a few high-end switches.

1 Like

Well that’s really too bad. Looks like Ansuz is continuing to OEM that crappy $20 D-Link DGS-108 Switch :man_facepalming:t2:

That said, there are a couple of possible technical work-arounds though.

The simplest is to install an “IGMP Snooping Querier” on that LAN segment; it will periodically send out an IGMP general query to all hosts which will then elicit an IGMP responses from both your UPnP Server and the dCS, thus preventing the Switch from timing-out and filtering multicast packets on any port.

There used to be an IGMP Querier software package for Synology, but it’s no longer maintained and I doubt it works with the current DSM.

The next option would be to add yet-another-Switch on you LAN, one that support IGMP Querying, like the Netgear GS108Tv2, but that’s a managed Switch, and you’d need to know what you’re doing…

All in, that’s jumping through big hoops just to band-aid a bad product. :laughing:

3 Likes