New PS Audio SACD Transport and dCS

And you have read all that, downloaded the software, prepared the set up, all offcourse in a few minutes, big stories my grandson :wink:

1 Like

The same for the Jay’s Audio transport, it’s a Philips Pro 2 top-loader, which is why I specified Redbook only.

Many of us have well over 1000 CDs and as stated, I don’t stream even though I have them ripped as backups.

I always grab and play the silver disc.

1 Like
3 Likes

Actually, it’s not so bad. As I mentioned earlier, I have always ripped on my MSB Transport or either of my Oppo players. But I took Miguel’s advice to heart and decided to finally get the Sony BDP-5100 set up that I bought a couple of years ago. It was almost too easy. Start [plugging the Sony in for the very first time, getting it on my network, out of quarantine, updated, etc.] to first rip-in-progress was under 45 minutes. Although more finicky than the Oppo process, a friend of mine and I walked through it in tandem. At first I thought there was a missing step in the power-on/off sequencing, but it’s’ correct. And on the BDP-5100, using the back USB slot does in fact seem more reliable. No such difficulty on the Oppo.

1 Like

Just for sh*ts & giggles, I decided to do a comparison of extracts between the two software choices [Sonore’s ISO2DSD and SACD Extract] using both the Oppo and the Sony and the MoFo SACD of Thriller I received yesterday. Interestingly, both software apps produce slightly different results. Using ISO2DSD, the rips from both machines produced identical folders containing identical files. However, using SACD Extract, the rips produced slightly different files, with the files produced through the Sony 5100 being just a little bit larger, though not by much:

1: SACDExtract + MSB Transport [Oppo]: 1,797,045,074 (bytes)
2: ISO2DSD + Sony 5100: 1,797,045,209
3: SACDExtract + Sony 5100: 1,797,045,722
4: ISO2DSD + MSB: 1,797,045,209

Naturally, all files play back bit perfect, but that doesn’t mean much. They all sound identical—though I probably won’t listen to Thriller for a little while now, and I have no doubt my ears have tuned it out a bit, no matter how good it is. :wink: There were no discernible differences between beginning and ending of tracks, no clicks or pops or any other distortions I could find.

2 Likes

Greg, I also use a Mac and the Oppo 205. Can I ask you to share what software you run to rip discs on the USB and Mac, or any pointers with more info for me to read. Many thanks.

Andre, I highly recommend this post:

I wish I had access to this when I first went down this path. That post has all the links you need. It is Sony-focused, but it is 90% usable for Oppo. If you run into a problem, PM me. I will be happy to help.

2 Likes

I don’t believe you can rip with an Oppo 205, you need an older Oppo like the 103/105 unless they’ve found a way to make the 203/205 work in the past few years.

1 Like

I fear BillK is correct. I just took a run through the AudiophileStyle and HiFiHeaven threads, and it appears that no one has succeeded at cracking the 205. In the PS Audio post, the 203 and 205 are explicitly absent from the list of compatible Oppo players. Likewise the very coherent instructions shared by PS Audio commenter dschamis.

Because the setup is so easy, even if the execution sequence is a bit clunky, I highly recommend the Sony BDP-5100. But make sure you get one with a remote. Setup is very difficult without it.

There is another advantage to the Sony that I think is under-appreciated. It’s so compact that it is easy to locate it near your computer. My Oppo has to stay in another room. But the Sony fits in a little cubby of my desk. Just had to run some Ethernet to it. And I can plug the HDMI cable into one of my monitors and simply switch inputs when I need to rip. So, no need to walk back and forth during the clunky sequencing.

2 Likes

I really appreciate this thread.

Over the last few weeks I have downloaded over $500 in files from NativeDSD and was lamenting the only disks I have not digitized, the SACD lot, including the Brothers In Arms remaster, which I consider the one of the best “rock” recordings/remasters ever made. I just bought the Sony BRP (with remote) on Amazon used for $70, and will rip…

Thanks especially to @PaleRider and @miguelito for sharing your expertise and experiences on this topic!

4 Likes

Excellent! Good luck! I’m embarrassed to say that, even though Amazon has a truck permanently stationed in our driveway, I never thought of looking there. Anyway, I encourage anyone who owns SACDs to think about this project. The players are reasonably plentiful, but the supply won’t last forever, and even if you prefer to spin your discs, it’s nice to have a backup, as well as the files available for eventual serving/streaming should you choose.

4 Likes

don’t dismiss the other Dire Straits SACD’s from Mofi, they are really good also.

I hope mofi will also do a version of “On every street”, although the original CD already sounds great.

2 Likes

Hi All,

Just a quick note …

According to page 6 of the PS Audio SACD Transport manual the PST will play back pure DSD only through DACs employing PS Audio’s I2S protocols so it looks like home-made DSD DVD-Rs will play but for SACDs (the whole point of the transport), it looks like there is no DoP output of the SACD layer.

Cheers

Phil

4 Likes

Outch…just checked the Rossini SACD transporter costs now almost 26000€…

I know that SACDs are big in Japan, what about the rest out there?
I f.ex. have only 5 SACDs vs 500 CDs (roughly) but I bought tons of qobuz, bandcamp and tidal (must be 3500 albums over the years). Got an old Pioneer CD player which I use as a transport only, so sometimes I’m spinning some CDs.

Well, I had thousands of CDs before giving those away. I have hundreds of SACDs and a few dozen DVD-A and Blu-ray Audio discs.

2 Likes

Ok then of course ripping SACDs makes perfect sense. I thought about getting the Sony as ripper + Mac SW as mentioned here… but for 5 SACDs it’s too much effort.

True. But do consider that none of the MoFi releases are available in download form, and same holds true for Analogue Productions so far. These days rip about one SACD a month give or take.

I just checked some SACDs that MoFi provides- so some albums are available for download (f.e.x Paul Simon) but not from MoFi. So provides a MoFi SACD rip a better SQ vs download from Qobuz ?

Don’t forget the incredible SACDs from Dutton Vocalion, also not available as downloads.