New PS Audio SACD Transport and dCS

Interesting, I don’t know that label. Recommend some titles please?

There are plenty of same-albums available on Qobuz vs the MoFi versions. But they are not the same masterings.

I have many examples of albums I bought from MoFi over the years (most actually redbook CDs) where the MoFi version sounds better than the streaming version. One example that comes to mind is Jean-Michel Jarre’s “Oxygene”. There is a remaster on Qobuz at higher than redbook resolution, but the MoFi redbook version I have ripped sounds better. Possibly because the tape was transferred to redbook digital 29 years ago - 29 years can degrade the tape, I would assume.

Oxygene is one of my favorite albums of all time, so I actually purchased the Qobuz version. But the MoFi CD rip sounds better.

2 Likes

I took a look over there when you mentioned them the other day. They have an interesting variety of titles.

Is this CD still available?

There aren’t many running around out there, but here is one. Not cheap. Here is a less expensive one.

1 Like

They specialize in making albums that were released in Quadraphonic in the 1970s available in both stereo and multichannel format on SACD, allowing you to hear the quadraphonic mix once more, but they also provide a lot of other content on SACD for the first time.

Examples include Ted Nugent:

Ted Nugent: Free for All / Cat Scratch Fever

Or the soundtrack to the Broadway musical A Chorus Line:

A Chorus Line: Original Cast Recording

Note they do their own transfers from the master tapes, so while the current remastered CD of the title above is horrifically compress dynamically, the SACD is not.

It’s also a bit weird as the stereo mix is made from the quad tapes, so the stereo mix on the SACD does not match the stereo mix on the original or remastered CDs.

Mac Davis: Baby Don’t Get Hooked on Me / Stop and Smell the Roses / All the Love in the World / Burnin’ Thing / Thunder in the Afternoon

Mott the Hoople: The Hoople / All the Young Dudes & Mott

1 Like

Thanks, this is not a cheap one, indeed…

And im still buying them

found this on amazon for 89Euro. , it has an add on …seems a re-mastering
grafik

1 Like

Looks the same as this one. I believe it’s the remaster. I have (one of) the remaster(s) in the Trilogy. It’s quite nice, but I have no doubt Miguel is correct that the first MoFi is the better one. For me, Jarré is more casual listening, so I am probably satisfied with the one I have.

1 Like

This thread over at Steve Hoffman might be of interest, along with this one about the re-recording.

This thread compares several of the CD pressings.

2 Likes

this CD SACD thing makes me nervous :sweat_smile:…I buy CDs now like crazy and dream of the Rossini SACD player…bought 20 CDs last week (many used for 5€!!!)

1 Like

U will not regret buying Rossini Transport.

After I bought it my frequency of (re)buying CDs also has gone high. I hardly listen to streaming these days.

Regards,
Sourav

3 Likes

Pretty sure this thing is a killer but it costs a fortune. And for that money one could jump on the Vivaldi train + Innuos Statement

1 Like

Yes. It is too costly. I am a broke now. Ha ha ha.

Since I already had many SACDs+CDs and used to enjoy PS Audio’s transport, when I moved from PS Audio stack to dCS I wanted the transport to be in the mix.

Regards,
Sourav

2 Likes

Well, not really. Vivaldi DAC is USD46,500 and the Innuous Statement—that can’t play or rip your SACDs—is another 17-22. So, actually 3x the cost of adding a Rossini Transport. And that doesn’t include the cost of adding network capability to the Vivaldi.

You‘re right but in that case I would sell my Rossini, Clock and Nagra…

4 Likes

If u really like to spin media then u have to go for Vivaldi Transport too. That wud add another $36k

Regards,
Sourav

1 Like