Network Bridge - second hand unit

I have the opportunity to buy a second hand dCS Network Bridge!

I currently have a Cyrus Stream Xa with attached PSXR power unit.
The Cyrus Cadence app is awful, that’s being kind!

The rest of my kit is Cyrus Pre2DAC QXR with PSXR2, Cyrus CDi with OSXR, a pair of Gold Note PA10s (power amps), with B&W 804D speakers.
I have TQ black interconnects and speaker cable plus two Entreq grounding boxes.

I would welcome your thoughts as to the Network Bridge in my system, please!

I have a home demo arranged in a few days time. :smiley:

Hi,

I had a Network Bridge in my system, really happy with the sound and also the Mosaic software and Roon software too.

Now this NB is in the stereo of one of my sons, he is as happy as I was.

Some people may tell you the product is no longer supported, true, but there wasn’t any software/firmware upgrade until now…therefore, until now, the difference between supported products and non supported products is null.

Reliable, nice looking, good sound, and in your case, not a too big box, so it won’t be an ugly mix with your Cyrus gear…

You won’t be disappointed with your home demo.

ChrisK, thank you for your comments, most useful.
I look forward to listening to it.

Before buying think about its limitation first.

Hi Vule, what do you mean by its limitation?

24/192 & DSD64 output
IMHO one of main reasons people started selling their NB.
Remember that time when dCS was selling to customers a vast number of units with promise that USB output will be enabled and later on giving up from it. It will remain remembered as black spot in legacy of dCS.
Other than that NB is one excellent device you could easily live with.

The Network Bridge demo was my gateway into dCS so keep that in mind when trying it out. It may end up more expensive than you anticipate.

The NB datasheet tells another story:
“2x AES/EBU on 3-pin male XLR connectors, each outputs PCM at up to 24 bit 192kS/s or DSD/64 in DoP format.
Used as a Dual AES pair, the interface outputs PCM at up to 384kS/s, DSD/64 & DSD/128 in DoP

1 Like

That is true uf you have a dCS dac with 2xAES/EBU input on the receiving end. I still haven’t heard of dacs of other brands with that capability.

1 Like

To opt for used MELCO, AURENDER, Lumin would be better choice though.

Chord DACs, like DAVE. And the (soon to be released) PS Audio DirectStream DAC II. Probably a few more out there.

The AES3 standard specifies those bitrate limits on individual AES/EBU & SPDIF interfaces. It’s not a dCS limitation. And dCS’ Dual AES is completely standards based as well by the way.

Still, the Chord Dave spec’s says:
Digital inputs:

4x 75Ω S/PDIF BNC Coax – 44.1kHz to 384kHz

1x AES XLR – 44.1kHz to 96kHz

2x Fibre Optic TOSLINK – 44.1kHz to 96kHz

1x USB Type B – 44.1kHz to 768kHz (16 – 32bit) – PCM and DSD

I see no double AES here!

I’m not sure why they don’t list it on their specs, but if you read the manual, you’ll see that both the BLU MkII CD player, and the M Scaler connect to Dave via Dual AES (BNC - based on AES3-2009 specs).

And Dave definitely works with dCS Network Bridge with Dual AES, I know for a fact because I owned that configuration for a year :grin:. See this post:

Not a very practical solution, it seems to me, IMHO.
That being said, I still think you can get very good results when combining the dCS NWB with dacs that will accept 24/192 via S/PDIF (75 ohm cable with RCA connectors) and in some cases single AES/EBU via 110 ohm cable. The NWB provides a very clear and smooth signal to the dac.

The goal was never about “practicality”. In fact, I suspect no one who owns a dCS (or Chord) is focused on practicality :rofl:

Yes, I need to be very careful! The cost of dCS kit is generally way beyond my budget, that’s why I’m considering secondhand! :smiley:

I might be the only one… :rofl:

1 Like

I do have a NB, connecting to Mutec MC3+USB (single AES) before upscaling by M Scaler to Hugo TT2. I have compared the NB with other brands such as Aurender, Auralic and Lumin, based on my preference on sound quality, I finally chose dCS NB, subjectly I feel it is more musical than the others.

1 Like

Exactly ! My son connected a Network Bridge to his Naim DAC and the result is excellent, he couldn’t be happier of his stereo :slight_smile:

1 Like