Network Bridge - clocks

I am new to dCSand learning with the help of this community. Forgive the very obvious question but what is the benefit to adding separate clock[s] to the Bridge?

It depends on whether you are using the Network Bridge within a legacy dCS multi-box system ( where everything has a wordclock input) or whether a non-dCS DAC has a wordclock input.

An external clock has two basic functions. One is to provide a more accurate timing signal to the DAC which is the point at which the conversion from analogue to digital occurs. The other is to synchronise the processing in other linked digital components so that they align in time with that conversion.

If you are using a Network Bridge outside of a system having a DAC with a wordclock input then there is no benefit.

If your question is about the separate clocks per se, each clock handles a different group of sampling frequencies, one based on 44.1kHz the other on 48kHz. In a dCS system having two clocks allows for automatic switching between incoming data based on either frequency.

1 Like

Yes but this synchronisation can be done by the dCS DAC, being the master clock for both itself and the Network Bridge…In that case the question is: is it worth adding an external dCS clock to synchronise better than the dCS DAC would do ?
Can you hear/appreciate/value the difference ?

Yes. If you read many of the archive threads you will find numerous users extolling the benefits of adding a dCS system clock (given the criteria in my earlier post). dCS does not make anything that does not provide an audible improvement in its own right or over a lower model in the range.

However you will need those dual clock outputs which means that legacy dCS clocks are incompatible as they only have a single clock output. They can be used but with the inconvenience of having to manually change the clock frequency each time the incoming sample rate alters - which can be difficult with e.g. streaming from a service where the incoming rate is not known until it arrives.

The other question is of economic viability given a Network Bridge as the cheapest compatible dCS clock is Rossini . That will largely depend upon the system with which it is used.

I red all threads about the added value of a better clocking, but it is still conceptual until you really have the opportunity to hear it by yourself. It is not easy finding a dealer that can arrange such a listening session. I have a Vivaldi DAC, it means the dealer must have the same DAC + the Vivaldi clock…and upsampler, because there is still the never ending question: the clock or the upsampler ? You add to that the people telling that the Vivaldi replacement should occur soon…2021 or 2022 ?

Not easy actually…but that is part of the fun, in a way…