Network Bridge AES output

Lately, I’ve tried to connect my NB to a new DAC by Soulution. The system works fine when I’m using the NB SPDIF output, however when the AES has connected to my DAC the DAC cant switch between the SPDIF and the AES input. Using CD connected to the same DAC AES input works just fine.
Please advise what can be wrong?

Hi Eliezer,

I think this is possibly more a question to ask Soulution?

Best Regards

Phil Harris

I’ve asked, they didn’t face this problem before. the issue is that the DAC is working just fine with other source connected to the DAC AES input, This problem appears only while I’m using the network bridge AES output. The DAC is working fine when I’m using the NB SPDIF output. Any clue?

Hi Eliezer,

It’s not an issue that we’ve faced either … I would have expected that Soulution would be able to suggest a set of circumstances under which their DAC wouldn’t change inputs - whether that might be that the input is “silent” (nothing connected) or in some way “out of spec” or something.

Can you take a screenshot of the Mosaic app device settings pages and pop it up here so I can see what output settings you have?

You haven’t mentioned which Soulution DAC or CD player you have used (it would be handy to know for completeness) but let me get this right …

If you connect the Network Bridge to the Soulution DAC via an S/PDIF connection then the Soulution DAC works correctly and you can switch inputs away from S/PDIF and select an alternate input (that some other device is connected to) but if you connect a (single) AES XLR between the Network Bridge and the Soulution DAC then you cannot switch away from the AES input?

So if you have your Network Bridge powered down but connected to the XLR input on the Soulution, the CD player connected to the S/PDIF input on the Soulution and you select the S/PDIF input then you can play a CD correctly?

If you then power on the Network Bridge and let it boot up (wait for it to appear on the Mosaic app) then does the Soulution continue to play the CD correctly?

If you then use the Mosaic app to start something playing on the Network Bridge (but don’t select the AES input on the DAC) then does the Soulution continue to play the CD correctly?

If you then select the AES input on the Soulution DAC do you hear the Network bridge playing?

If you now select the S/PDIF input does the Soulution simply refuse to change inputs back to the CD (which has been left playing)?

What happens if you now do exactly the same tests but with the CD player connected via AES and the Network Bridge connected via S/PDIF?

Best Regards

Phil Harris

Hi Phil,
Many thanks for your prompt reply.
comments embedded below.
Warm regards
Eliezer

It’s not an issue that we’ve faced either …
Can you take a screenshot of the Mosaic app device settings pages and pop it up here so I can see what output settings you have?
Attached

You haven’t mentioned which Soulution DAC or CD player you have used (it would be handy to know for completeness) but let me get this right …
Integrated DAC connected to Suolution 325 Preamp
If you connect the Network Bridge to the Soulution DAC via an S/PDIF connection then the Soulution DAC works correctly and you can switch inputs away from S/PDIF and select an alternate input (that some other device is connected to) but if you connect a (single) AES XLR between the Network Bridge and the Soulution DAC then you cannot switch away from the AES input?
I can switch between all digital inputs i.e. USB NET AES and SPDIF however switching between AES and SPDIF keep the NB sound although that no source connected to the SPDIF input.
So if you have your Network Bridge powered down but connected to the XLR input on the Soulution, the CD player connected to the S/PDIF input on the Soulution and you select the S/PDIF input then you can play a CD correctly?
Correct however when I’m switching on the NB while its connected through the AES the SPDIF signal is distorted.
Also while connecting the CD to the AES input,
In this case everything is working just fine, and the NB is able to work through the SPDIF input.
If you then power on the Network Bridge and let it boot up (wait for it to appear on the Mosaic app) then does the Soulution continue to play the CD correctly?
When the CD is connected to the SPDIF, and the network bridge AES cable is disconnected everything is working fine, connecting the AES again disable the SPDIF input.
If you then use the Mosaic app to start something playing on the Network Bridge (but don’t select the AES input on the DAC) then does the Soulution continue to play the CD correctly?
Yes. If no AES connection between the NB and The DAC everything is working fine.
If you then select the AES input on the Soulution DAC do you hear the Network bridge playing?
Yes the network bridge is working correctly, but the sound appears also when I switch the DAC to SPDIF input, when no source connected to the SPDIF DAC’s input.
If you now select the S/PDIF input does the Soulution simply refuse to change inputs back to the CD (which has been left playing)?
The Soulution is able to switch between all inputs however the same output appears while switching between the SPDIF and the AES when the NB connected through the AES input, and in this situation the SPDIF source is disabled or distorted.
Actually the source connected to the SPDIF can’t be heard when the NB connected to the DAC AES input, The AES is always appear in the DAC output. (The AES CABLE is Nordost Heimdall), Switching off, the NB Power allow the SPDIF input to work properly again.
What happens if you now do exactly the same tests but with the CD player connected via AES and the Network Bridge connected via S/PDIF?
Everything is working just fine as it supposed to be and the DAC function properly.
**To summarize, **
**1. When the DAC’s AES input is connected to the NB, the SPDIF input is disabled, meaning that switching to the SPDIF keep the AES input while no source in the DAC’s SPDIF input. And disable the SPDIF input or distorted it when source is connected to the SPDIF input. **
2. When the DAC’s AES input is connected to the NB, and the NB power switched off the SPDIF is working properly.
3. Connecting the CD to AES and the NB to SPDIF DAC inputs, all the system is working properly.

Hi Eliezer,

So, with the Network Bridge connected up to the Soulution 325 via AES and powered up then when you select a different input does the Soulution show that a different input has been selected on its display (and stay playing whatever audio is playing via AES) or does it completely ignore your input change request and simply remain on the AES input?

Cheers

Phil

The solution is able to switch between all input with no problem, however switching between SPDIF and AES keep the AES signal in the pre output, when actually no source is connected to the SPDIF input.

When source is connected to the SPDIF input and the AES input connected to the NB the AES input is override or distort the SPDIF input.

Hi Eliezer,

I understand from what you have described that if you have the Network Bridge connected your Soulution by S/PDIF and the (unnamed) CD transport connected to it by AES then you can switch correctly between the two but if you connect the Network Bridge by AES and the CD transport by S/PDIF then the AES input continues to play over the top of the S/PDIF input …

HOWEVER there’s nothing that the Network Bridge can do via an AES digital audio link to whatever it is connected to to tell the device it’s connected to to do anything - so, although it might sound like I’m trying to pass the buck, as I said at the outset this really has to be a Soulution issue - maybe it’s getting messed up by some sort of noise pickup or something but the Soulution simply shouldn’t be doing what it is doing.

Best Regards

Phil

Thanks for your support
It’s seems that I have no other choice but to use th NB using the spiff output.

My curiosity is why there is a different behavior on the AES input between the NB and my musical fidelity CD transport. By the end the digital output should be the same!
Best regards
Eliezer

Sorry for interfering.
But your Mosaic screenshot shows, that you did not enable AES DOWNSAMPLING to 192K, as you did (actually had to) for SPDIF. DSD DOWNSAMPLING is OFF.
If you stream sample rates > 192K, the NB outputs a DUAL AES signal (of 352.8K), which is not supported by the Soulution and may cause the problem.

(I’m not part of dCS, just a user.)

Many Thanks for your reply,
setting the AES downstream to 192 k didn’t change the behavior, connecting the NB AES disable the Soulution Spdif input.
Other source on the AES input working as it supposed to work.

This is an abnormal behavior, and appears only with the NB AES output, unfortunately I’m unable electrically explained it.

Thanks again for your reply

This may not be sufficient. You also need to set DSD DOWNSAMPLING to ON.

Depending on whether the Soulution DAC supports DoP, the dCS Network Bridge should be configured in either one of two settings as indicated in the Manual (red boxed below);

In any case, whether they acknowledge or not, it seems clear the Soulution DAC has a bug associated with it’s AES interface :thinking:

Many thanks for your reply,
The NB configuration is correct please note to the attached,

You might be right with the assumption that something is wrong with the AES input in the Soulotion if the same behavior will be repeated with other AES source ( like CD transport) which actually work perfect.
Thanks again
Eliezer

Thanks, the same behavior with your suggestion set up

Eliezer

It might very well be due to AES frame header flags that are in the dCS Network Bridge AES interface, but do not appear in other commercial platforms which use merchant chips for their AES interface and don’t fully implement the AES3-2009 standard.

So, the issue is still one for Soulution to solve, albeit, they may not know how to unless they get a hold of the NwB and test :laughing:

(That is assuming it’s not some other issue like grounding problem or some such. :thinking:)