NativeDSD artwork not shown in Mosaic

All my files are stored on a NAS. I have no problems playing any of the files. Artwork associated with WAV or FLAC show without problem. It’s only cover artwork associated with downloaded DSD files.
I have been advised by NativeDSD that “The artwork is tagged inside the files we sell, so it should show up.”
Please advise if there is anything I can do to remove the problem.

What format are those DSD downloads in? Artwork, and ID3 metadata tags really only work reliably in the DSF format, not for example DFF.

Hi Tony and welcome to the community.

It is usually one of two reasons fthat is the cause for or the issue that you have. The first is related to the matter Paul has suggested. However even with .dff files there should be a file in the album folder for the artwork although this is not integrated with each track as it is with dsf. Open the album folder to track level and find the artwork file. It can fail to be recognized by Mosaic if it is not properly titled. Some music vendors label this file as per the album title. All you need to do is change this to Cover.

With PCM FLACs and I believe .dsf files where a form of ID3 metadata is used you occasionally can find that the artwork has been mistakenly selected as “rear cover” and this needs to be changed to front cover" track by track. However I am a customer of Native DSD and have never found them to make this error.

The other reason for missing covers is not to do with the music files at all but with some form of incompatibility between the NAS UPnP server software and Mosaic. If you are unaware of this issue please read:

1 Like

Hi Paul. The files are all in dsf. format.

Hi Pete & Paul,
Thank you both for your prompt response.
Just a few additional notes:
All the files are .dsf
Files are stored on Synology DS716+ and on Synology DS220+.
Netgear Prosafe fast ethernet switch.
I have the Mosaic app on both iPhone and iPad, both with iOS 15.2.1.
I have tried renaming files from “album title”.jpg to cover.jpg to no avail.
I can see all the art work associated with JD River ripped CD’s to WAV files.
I have no problems playing any of the dsf. files downloaded from NativeDSD.

I greatly appreciate your assistance in trying to resolve this problem.
In the meantime I will look into installing MinimServer2 on my NAS drives.

If you are currently relying upon the Synology standard “Audio Station” as your media server, then installing Minimserver is likely to solve your problem. I remember that in the old days I tried the same when I was using an Auralic streamer and its LDS app - and while I could play everything presented by Audio Station in its “Music” volume, album art display was VERY spotty. Minimserver fixed that. Only thing is that whenever you add new music to Minimserver’s root directory you need to initiate a Rescan, either from within Minimserver’s control pane or via Minimwatch on a nearby Mac or PC.

Nowadays I use Roon, which by default retrieves all metadata and album art from the Internet; and Roon is incredibly unfussy with regards to file formats - it usually “just works” :wink:

Tony, as Paul suggests you should also download MinimWatch 2 to a computer. Not only can you then easily rescan your music library or new additions to MinimServer from there but it also allows you to configure MinimServer so that Mosaic will display additional data e.g track numbers and additional search modes e.g all composers whose name begins with " B" or “J” etc.

Need to add to Pete’s remarks about configuring Minimserver that for most attributes, this requires the PAID version. The free version is quite limited in what you can change.

1 Like

Thank you both.
I have installed the free version, and success. I now have all the album artwork.
I did get it bit distracted as I received a notification that on of my drive in one of my NAS drivers was failing, will hot swap asap.
I will go onto getting the full versions of Minimserver2/MinimWatch2 as recommended.
Thank you both again for your assistance.

Thank you both.
I have installed the free version, and success. I now have all the album artwork.
I did get it bit distracted, as I received notification that one of my NAS HDDs was failing, will hot swap asap.
When I have completed repairing the NAS volume, I will get the full versions of Minimserver2/MinimWatch2 as recommended.
Thank you both again for your assistance.
[/quote]

1 Like

Good result :+1: