MPEG and not MQA

Is crazy…now Lana del Rey is MPEG again…

Actually that Lana Del Rey album is what I tested yesterday and was showing up as MPEG - you say it’s showing as MQA today? That is indeed a difference…

Sometimes is MQA now, but not always , sometimes is MPEG…

The issue started manifesting for me as well. While listening to an album, MQA would switch to MPEG randomly when starting tracks. Repeatedly restarting the same track from the queue would eventually kick it back into MQA mode.

Clearly a defect, whether it’s on Tidal or dCS’ end. Hope it gets fixed quickly, it’s very annoying.

There is now a reason for the sudden appearance of this issue. It is affecting other manufacturer’s MQA streams from Tidal too. See link.

The reason behind this is that Tidal have unilaterally changed how they are identifying Tidal Master files. So the cause does not lie with Mosaic but that the change by Tidal has resulted in this outcome.

So either Tidal should revert to the previous situation or there could be a hiatus for a period while streamer manufacturers revise their software and issue updates. I would guess that for us folks the latter would logically be rolled in with the anticipated Mosaic v. 1.1.2 revision and if so I would not anticipate a particularly swift conclusion, at least from past experience.

2 Likes

And this is exactly why I can’t fathom spending money on a Lumin or Aurender or other such streamers that don’t have digital in, no matter how good their DAC section is. If something transcends the ability of the manufacturer to address in firmware, one is essentially stuck with an expensive brick if proper streaming isn’t attainable. At least dCS is a proper DAC that happens to have a streamer on board and worst case can always be fed Tidal MQA via USB from a computer.

Yes. It is important also not to rely entirely upon applications that run on big tech firmware like Apple iOS and Android. They have previously sunk many applications by unilaterally changing the specifications often with little or no prior notification. Mosaic is unfortunately subject to this as well as the decisions of other partners such as Tidal or airable. Such changes cost a huge amount for small companies to implement sometimes forcing them to abandon whole projects or installations that their customers already rely on. I had a couple of useful apps cease to be supported when Apple would only allow 64 bit architecture for iOS.

So I keep a 13" laptop which is small enough to sit on my equipment rack should I need to revert to pc audio and even if necessary ( pray not) connect to Vivaldi Upsampler with USB.

1 Like

Unfortunately true, but on the bright side there should be no reason that Mosaic’s functionality cannot be replicated in a web interface, should it get to such a point. After all, Mosaic most likely is just a front end for APIs hosted on the dCS unit.

Unrelated to this, but kudos to dCS for making the app run on the local network and not via cloud like many models nowadays. This way, if one’s Internet goes offline, one can still manage the dCS and remain able to listen to their upnp or other local sources.

1 Like

This is generally correct and I must add that this change was made without ANY advance notice.

Some manufacturers will be able to fix this problem quickly as they elected to implement MQA by having the MQA decoder always in place in the processing pipeline. This would allow them to make a couple of minor code changes to return to prior functionality. In our case (and many others) we elected to have the MQA decoder in the pipeline only when MQA content was being played. If TIDAL doesn’t roll back this change then it will take us (and many others) some time to fix this issue.

At this point we are at the mercy of TIDAL and are applying pressure in any way we can to get them to roll back their change. We completely understand if it must happen at some point, but they need to give us some time to implement a different method of MQA identification.

We (dCS) will keep you posted as information becomes available.

Our sincerest apologies for this issue as we are well aware that a large number of our customers have been enjoying our MQA implementation in their daily listening. We are doing everything that we can in order to restore this functionality, but since this is out of our hands there is only so much that we can do.

1 Like

Thanks Andrew. There is a conflict in what you state in your response:

which is an indication that a fix will come, though it may not be immediate.

which would indicate to me that a fix isn’t necessarily guaranteed.

Would you mind clarifying?

I don’t think there is a conflict. Andrew is proposing two alternative paths of action:

1. Fix it in the Mosaic firmware which he says may take time.

2. Apply pressure to Tidal to roll back their change.

So it may take time to fix or the alternative approach ( restoration of the status quo) is out of their hands.

I asked Andrew

The idea of this forum is to exchange ideas and comments. You are a comparative newcomer. Your response adds little and is offensive.

I’m sorry, do you speak for the company? No? Ok then.

You clearly seem to have some kind of difficulty with normal polite dialogue between people.

This forum is often appreciated for its civilised and constructive threads. I think you need to consider whether you wish to fit in with this ideal.

Of course you have not actually dealt with any of the points that I made.

I have no problem with normal polite dialogue, but you injected a straw argument; I was not asking Andrew about the Mosaic fix vs. Tidal rolling back the changes, which you refer to as two alternative paths of action; I was specifically contrasting those to his last paragraph, which you omitted from your answer (emphasis below mine)

In my interpretation—and granted, us Yanks have been accused of not speaking English in years—something that is out of one’s hands and only being able to do so much about it does not guarantee that it will actually be possible. Hence my request, to Andrew, to clarify.

1 Like

Thank you for that considered response.

If you are less specific in regard to the highlighting of Andrew’s text e.g.:

[quote=“Andrew, post:45, topic:2583”]
order to restore this functionality but since this is out of our hands there is only so much that we can do.

This makes my point. The restoration of the functionality i.e. restoring what existed previously ( not a new fix) is out of their hands as that will be a decision for Tidal.

So my conclusion was that there is nothing for Andrew to answer. I appreciate your differing view.

I hope you’re right. Would like to get Andrew’s reassurance still.

I’m trying to figure out what this means. Every single Lumin machine has at least a network connection (digital in) and I believe each has a bidirectional USB port. What is it you think they are missing for purposes of rectifying the Tidal problem? Or that makes their architecture any more susceptible to being bricked by a Tidal/Qobuz/Spotify/etc. technical change? Further, nothing about the architecture would prevent one from streaming all of one’s local files even if somehow the machine couldn’t receive Tidal any more. Lumin continues to support all their equipment. I have an A1 I bought “way back when,” and it still receives firmware updates.