Mosaic updates NEVER go smoothly

Hi Bill,

You don’t HAVE to use the devices internal web server to perform an update, normally the app updates the device without any other intervention whatsoever (not even a power cycle) being required.

The web server on the device is a fall-back so that there is a “Plan B” (and “Plan C”, there is even a “Plan D” which we’ll come back to) should “Plan A” (update directly from the app) not be able to work.

If, for whatever reason (within an individual setup) the app is unable to update a unit then having that web interface as a fallback allows other backup options for the unit to be updated.

The “Update” option is specified in the manual as “This feature is provided for emergency use only. We do not promise to make CD update files available for all versions.”

I’m not aware of this menu option having been logged as causing confusion previously but obviously as you’ve raised it then I’ll log that it has been reported as doing so and if we update the manuals at a future date then we can look at re-enforcing that that option is for use with a CD based update and is not an internet based update.

The reason that this is listed as for “emergency” use is that updating a device by CD can be performed if for some reason the devices web interface cannot be accessed from the network - maybe there is a network issue or the network module has a problem or maybe the customer is using the device in an installation without a network - but it is VERY involved, it requires the creation of either a custom update CD (or a custom update WAV file to be played from an audio player or PC) by the R&D guys here and the device being put into an update mode (so therefore has to have the ability to be triggered from the front panel directly - hence the menu option) and as such this is most definitely “Plan D” (see above).

Hopefully this explanation will clarify the purpose of that option - that it is a “CD” update option, not an “internet” update option.

Best Regards

Phil

2 Likes

To be clear again, yes, I know that’s how it is supposed to work.

In reality, every time I’ve tried to update from Mosaic without first rebooting the Rossini Player, the update has hung the Rossini Player before completing, forcing a power cycle and a second update attempt.

Once it has been power cycled the update completes from Mosaic normally.

It’s never “just worked.”

You and I agree - you shouldn’t have to use the web server to do the update, but others have given that advice.

I realize the menu update option is for CD - it says as much in the owner’s manual.

But to someone just scrolling through the menus, they’d believe that option works the same as on most internet-connected Blu-ray players - to check the Internet for an update and to download and install it if available.

I always use the mosaic app To update the firmware and works like a breeze

I have tried YET AGAIN to do the latest update for my Rossini Apex DAC, via the Mosaic App. It took a lot longer this time, which gave me some optimism that it might actually work.

Then, after about 30 minutes, the ‘word’ CHECKSUM! came in the display. The app. wouldn’t work and the unit was frozen, having to be switched off at the wall to reactivate it.

This is poor, dCS. These updates should just work. Can someone at @support hekp here - it is just not enough. Are these updates not rigorously tested prior to release? It would appear not…

Hi Andrew,

Yes, we do test updates extensively but there are always some issues and we do use the feedback from those issues that are reported to inform the software team to try to plug any possible issues moving forwards however that doesn’t help you right now …

What exactly is being displayed on the front panel display on your Rossini at the moment?

This is after I set it going again. It then went through a process ‘downloading packets’ (or something like that. It ticked up to about 2,200/4,096, the froze and the word CHECKSUM! came in the display.

I hope this means something to you Phil! :grinning:

Hi Andrew,

OK … so if your Rossini is showing ‘Updating Network Software’ then it now has the update downloaded.

The update itself should take up to about an hour.

If your Rossini is still showing the same message after that then power it down for 30 seconds and when you power it back up again it should kick the update off.

If the Rossini is showing any other messages then do not turn it off without checking with me first - especially if it’s showing a progress bar - in that case just leave it to do its thing.

I’ll try to keep an eye on here to see how you get on or you can also get me on [email protected] … I try to keep a weather eye on there too overnight and at weekends for anything that needs attention.

BR

Phil

2 Likes

I left the unit on and the update has installed overnight. Many thanks for your help with this @Phil