Mosaic updates NEVER go smoothly

It’s not so much that it’s telling you to reboot at the wrong time, it’s just that it tells you to reboot but the front display on the RP is stuck saying that it’s updating the network board, so do you believe the app or the display on the device itself?

Thanks to Anup we now know that Mosaic reflects the status of the device and the fact the display still reads “Updating” is either a bug or something is stuck in the RP, but that disconnect between what the Mosaic app is telling you and what the device front panel is telling you is the major thing that makes the process not as smooth as it should be.

Only if you use Mosaic. :slight_smile: (I don’t, I control my Bartok via Roon.)

(Also, Mosaic is a mobile app and updates via the app stores, which generally doesn’t have issues. My update process was for the dCS hardware itself, which is where people tend to have issues. I have found it is most reliable to do the update from the hardware itself.)

I also never use Mosaic to play music, but Roon. I only use the Mosaic Control app to manage the settings of my unit.

3 Likes

If you update from the hardware you don’t even get the little bit of progress information the app gives you.

Yes you do. As as I said, via Javascript on the browser. (I’m guessing you’ve never tried it :grin:)

1 Like

I just ran the update via my Web Browser without issue. (Vivaldi). It is nice to be able to follow it along as was noted above.

Yes, that’s much like what the Mosaic app shows.

Again, though, even through the web browser, when it says one thing and the display says another, which do you believe?

That’s the problem.

I never looked at the display, so not an issue.

That’s not what I consider “updating from hardware.”

I consider “updating from hardware” Menu → Information → Update on the front panel. :man_shrugging:

You might be confused. That Update from the front-panel buttons is meant to put the unit into update mode for firmware delivered via a CD transport. Not the same as Internet connected updates we usually get. dCS does not issue CDs with firmware updates much anymore.

I have a Rossini Player, but you are correct about the CD update.

Still, that’s what I would consider updating the firmware “from the hardware.”

Updating “from the hardware” implies (yes, I know it doesn’t work this way) all you need is the device, not an app, computer or web browser.

Regardless, we’re needlessly arguing semantics here, the point is no matter what the method, if the software says to reboot the device but the display is stuck on a message stating it is updating the network board, I’m going to presume the hardware (the device) has become stuck and power cycling it has a good chance of bricking the device.

When you’re talking a US $30K+ device when you’re talking an APEX Rossini or APEX RP, or a US $46.5K device for an APEX Vivaldi, that doesn’t exactly make one feel comfortable.

I agree there’s room for improvement on the upgrade process, but not as a priority.

(By the way, insisting “hardware upgrade” mean a front-panel button press for upgrades is positively archaic :laughing:… no one does that these days, not on consumer devices or Enterprise/Telecom hardware costing $millions, it’s all software-driven front-ends).

@Phil Can we please just get a situation where Mosaic can sort offline Qobuz libraries alphabetically?! Please!! It’s not too much to ask, is it??

It’s archaic, but I don’t want to have to upgrade a hardware device via a web site.

For example, all modern high end professional cameras, still and video, have ways of updating their firmware.

But even for the models that can transfer photos to you over the Internet or have web interfaces, you update the firmware by downloading the update, putting it on a memory card and navigating the camera’s menu system.

I did my upgrade to Bartok 2.0 no issue

However I also did the Mosaic update . It went through without issue, however it does not list the latest update however it still shows the 1.3.0 for both that the the board update?

When i hit the update check button it says no update available?

phil look for the new app 1.3.0 (132) and network board 1.3.0 (509)

@BillK
Did I get lucky? I didn’t know there was a pending update until reading this post. I used Mosaic → Support → Versions and the update downloaded, verified and installed without any manual intervention (no reboots). The entire download / install process took less than 10 minutes. New versions are: App = 1.3.0 (132), Front Panel = 2.04, Control Board = 2.04, Network Board + 1.3.0 (509).
I was playing music from my queue when I started the update and once the update completed I went back to the queue and continued listening. I call that a successful update experience or perhaps I just got lucky.

Hi Brian,

No - you didn’t get lucky … you just had happen what pretty much everyone had happen and it worked the way that it should. :slight_smile:

Of course we (as with any other manufacturer) do try to make the update process as robust as possible but when you have thousands (or tens of thousands) of units worldwide on all sorts of networks and in all sorts of environments then - unfortunately - there will be some units (and it is a very small number globally) that hit issues and for those people it is a big thing, and rightly so, so we obviously try to resolve those as quickly as we can.

We do however always look at the issues that people report that they’ve had when updating units and do look into whether we can realistically do anything to take that into account when looking at what’s needed from the software, firmware and hardware sides going forward.

Best Regards

Phil Harris

3 Likes

@BillK With all due respect downloading updates and placing them on a thumb drive (memory card) for later human-based updates is not the optimum way to handle software/firmware. dCS’ update methodology is legit from a software/firmware update perspective as it doesn’t require anyone to download to an external memory device (eg. USB thumb drive) and subsequently ingest the update data to some type of update loader process. The less human intervention the better when it comes to software/firmware updates. You may want to check the quality of your Internet connection and configuration to your Rossini. A couple years ago I had similar issues with my Rossini software/firmware updates. Turned my home Ethernet configuration was double NATing, explained here, https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/6277579?hl=en . It didn’t impact listening to music via Mosaic but it did impact fast forwarding/reversing and dCS software/firmware updates via Mosaic.

In my case I was using a second Linksys router to feed Ethernet cables for my Rossini and TV and for ample WiFi coverage throughout my downstairs. I sought the advice of a certified Ethernet network engineer and within minutes he identified the double NATing issue and resolved it by disabling the router functionality of the downstairs Linksys device. The fast forward/reverse issue cleared up immediately and all subsequent Rossini updates have worked flawlessly.

I’m not saying that double NATing is or may be the issue you’re experiencing. My point is that just because your Rossini plays music, you could still have a network config issue that only impacts certain functions including dCS updates.

1 Like

To put things back into context, I was saying you shouldn’t have to update by connecting to the player via its internal web server.

My whole point was choosing the Software Update option from the unit’s menus should do the right thing.

Then the point was brought up that most everything directly updates via the Internet now, and I mentioned most cameras still require you to download a file to a memory card and for you to update from the card.