Leave DCS DAC and Clock on 24/7 vs standby when not listening question

Thank you. I mostly use the network input of my Rossini Player. Is there a way to set it to automatically enter sleep mode when no music is playing?

You mean that you want it to go to sleep mode in between tracks? Or at the end of an album even when you were intending to play another to follow?

Like to your earlier question this unfortunately also has a similar simple answer. No.

I appreciate that the lack of these facilities may cause difficulties if perhaps you have mobility difficulties but if this is the case it may be worthwhile investing in the universal remote as you can at least then put Rossini in and out of sleep mode remotely.

You can do that if you use Roon:

Automatically sleep device

Auto Sleep automatically puts supported devices into “standby” mode if you haven’t played anything recently. And after going into standby, your device can easily be “woken up” just by playing content in Roon.

This setting will work with Roon Ready devices that meet the above criteria, as well as devices from Devialet, Linn, and Meridian. It will also work when an extension-provided source control with the same capabilities is available on the zone.

I really like the auto of feature. Sometimes I forget to turn off the device and it works all the time and it is not needed. I know that not much electricity is used, but you feel better if you know that everything is turned off.
Regards Robert

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the help.

Since I mostly use Roon, I simply enabled this setting. It works like a charm.

1 Like

Oh and a friend sold me this cable cheap.

I used it to hook up my Rossini Player to the Clock. Now they both wake up and go to sleep together.

So now when Roon puts my Rossini Player into standby, the Clock follows. If I play something in Roon, both exit standby mode at the same time. :smiley:

I don’t, I prefer knowing everything is on and ready.

Therefore, it should be an option that can be turned on or off. I do not think about fully switching off the device, but about switching to standby mode when some elements are live and ready to go straight to work.

Well it kind of is, you can make the decision to connect the clock and DAC together and whether to use the sleep option.

Unfortunately, I do not have a clock in my system. As I understand the DCS Rossini clock has an autosleep option?

Unfortunately not , the autosleep facility appears to be via Roon. Leonard is referring in his post to the fact that coupling the Rossini DAC and Clock using an RS232 cable means that they can be put to sleep or woken up by selecting the command on only one of the devices . This is DAC or Player or by the IR remote. The option is called Power Link. In the same fashion when exiting standby mode is selected via Roon both devices will return to play status at the same time.

I see. Anyway, the autosleep function would be useful because sometimes I don’t know if I turned the device on or not. If I forgot, the autosleep function would solve this difficulty.

The life of electronics is mostly related to life of electrolityc capacitors. They are dying mostly of heat and overvoltage and at rated voltage have live between 1000 and 5000 hours. In Bartok you have below 40 celsius typicaly, so they will last around 100k hours. Count how many of them you have yearly. You have over a hundret of them in one device. My advice, switch device off for night. Keep it on when listening breaks are not longer than a few hours.

1 Like

Guys,

Not sure what kind of clocks dCS use, but modern OCXO [Oven Controlled Crystal (Xtal) Oscillator] clocks are physically encased in a very carefully controlled thermally insulated ‘oven’. Their oscillation’s are stable at an ‘ideal’ temperature, and any powering down will rapidly move you away from this optimal temp and clock speed.

Typically they take 30-50 days to reach this optimum. I understand that a small glitch in power (1 second or so) will not meaningfully affect SQ.

Anything from 1 minute up will take a proportional heat up time (I don’t know the exact relationship) to revert to optimum.

So the recommendation is to never switch off. The signal recipient may be switched on or off as per manufacturers suggestions, but ocxo clocks are best left on all the time.

Best wishes

Aubrey

dCS Clock Accuracy : Better than +/-1ppm when shipped, over an ambient temperature range of 10°C to 30°C. Typically +/-0.1ppm when shipped and stabilised.

dCS Clock Start Up Time : Typically 1 minute to rated accuracy.

So, dCS Clocks can be switched off without a problem with accuracy.

1 Like

Thanks Ermos… appreciated. Am going to need time to absorb this! Definitely not a techie.

Just to clarify - I was referring to an OCXO.

Yes, I understood. dCS use microcontroller-enhanced VCXOs in their clocks, not OCXOs.

Yes, that’s right. However, I noticed my Rossini does not cool down. It’s always slightly warm. I suppose that’s a good thing.

It is; electronics love temperature stability.