Leave DCS DAC and Clock on 24/7 vs standby when not listening question

I’m a new DCS Rossini + Rossini clock owner. For those who own DCS DACs and Clocks, do you put your DAC and Clock in standby mode when not listening or leave them powered up all the time? My dealer suggested leaving them powered up 24/7, but I would like to know what other DCS owners do; leave their DACs + Clocks on all the time or put them on standby mode when not listening?

As the new owner of a Bartók, I leave it on standby.
My Naim amplification is left on 24/7, as suggested by Naim Audio.

If away for more than a few days, or there is a storm, then I switch all off.

Basically there is not a great deal of difference between leaving it powered and in standby. As far as I can tell all that is basically happening in standby is the display panel is switched off and it won’t accept input. dCS engineers may know more. HI-Fi News were unable to measure any change in power consumption between the two states in their lab test.

So standby is good if you want to avoid any mishaps whilst you are not present. Otherwise it may assist the ultimate life span of the OLED display.

Switching off is best left for long periods away or electrical storms as David says. Otherwise time is required to reach thermal stability once again.

1 Like

Thank you David and Pete for the replies. When I owned my Ayre DAC, I used to put it it in standby when not listening and turn it on an hour or so before I started a listening session. I basically did this out of habit.

The OLED screen of my Rossini DAC remains off all the time, so there is no worry regarding the life span of my Rossini display. I did read the Hi-Fi News review and did see that info on power consumption when on vs standby is the same.

Therefore I will probably just leave both the DAC and clock on 24/7.

You could always check the internal temp, to see if it cools off in standby mode, if it doesn’t then i guess standby mode is pretty much the same as leaving on 24/7

Sorry Duncan but how do you check the internal temperature while it is in standby mode? You need to awake it to see any readout on the display.

We have already established from the HFN report that there is no change to power consumption whether full on or in standby. That can also be used as a simile for temperature i.e. the mean temperature could only decrease if power consumption decreases too ( NB: there are always minor fluctuations due to variations in ambient temperature) .

If you have a separate dCS clock with that little thermometer icon indicating stable temperature you will see that it is normally immediately displayed when recovering from standby ( sleep). If the internal temperature did drop the recovery time would not be instantaneous.

In any case:

Really lol?

If its been off all day and you turn it back on, you then check, it won’t warm up in a few seconds that it takes to check, and if its considerable lower then i would say its going to take a while to get back up to temp, and so be back to full performance.

lol? Unsure where that came from. Not me.

I effectively cover the point you are trying to make in my final paragraph. The temperature from standby to full operation is immediately the correct operating temperature i.e. it has been maintained. That is the reason why you put it into standby rather than switching it off.

2 Likes

My guess is that the DCS is basically on all the time, even when in “standby mode,” with only the display turned off and perhaps the output muted.

Here is something that Paul McGowen, the head of PS Audio wrote on this topic a little while ago”

“Our products were going to stay on 24/7. There were a couple of reasons for this. First, solid state electronics has a longer life cycle if left on. Constant power cycling stresses components, shortening their life. Second, we knew back then of burn in and warm up time. Left on for weeks and months at a time, our products had a distinct sonic advantage others did not enjoy.

Over time we learned to compromise. A little. Our front panel “power” switch turned off the indicator LED and muted the outputs—effectively rendering the unit off without compromising our values.

Which is why the vast majority of our products still run warm even when “off”.”

My guess is that DCS is probably doing something similar when their products are put in standby.

2 Likes