Issues with brand new Bartok

David, almost universally, problems associated with UPnP Server/Client visibility has do with the home network not properly passing Multicast traffic. Even when the Bartok is working properly, if your network occasionally gobbles-up multicast packets, things won’t work properly, so, you might want to double check your Ethernet Switch configuration to be sure it’s not filtering out multicast packets (usually based on IGMP Snooping or Proxying).

Agreed. Your double-speed playback problem is highly unlikely to be (home) network associated. A quick Google search seems to show others with non-dCS DACs having the exact same problem. Tidal seems to be a common factor in most cases, even via Roon, here’s an example;

A Bartok reboot “solving” the problem doesn’t automatically point to a problem with Bartok (especially considering some of us have had the Bartok for over 2 years without ever encountering this problem :slight_smile:).

2 Likes

Hmm, I’m using TrendNet 24-Port Gigabit switches but IGMP is disabled. I have quite a few zero-conf devices on my LAN. I’ll keep an eye on this though. On the other hand, it would be nice if the Bartok would let me manually define the IP address for a media server so that it doesn’t have to rely on uPnP to find it.

It doesn’t definitely prove it — but presumably the Bartok (and other streamers) have to know how to decode incoming data from Tidal. If the problem was due to a faulty Tidal stream, then I would not expect rebooting the Bartok to fix the problem as the incoming data stream would presumably still be faulty.

Obviously I don’t know why it happened - nor is it my responsibility to debug the problem - I simply don’t want to experience it!

Which model if I may ask? (By the way, TRENDNet is not Trend Micro - two very separate companies :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:).

Generally I would say you’re right. That said, there’s a significant amount of “chatter” that goes on between the Streaming services and the DAC, it’s very easy for things to go haywire occasionally.

ps: I just noticed you used the plural;

Are your Bartok and UPnP Server on different LAN segments?

TRENDnet TPE-1620WSF

Indeed.

Yes, I use these in general in multiple locations — but just one here

No, they’re all on the same class-C subnet

Only if the code is buggy!

Well, no doubt you’ll agree, totally bug free code doesn’t exist :wink:

Also, the “quality” of your internet connection plays a significant part in this as well. Albeit, the chatter between the Streaming services and Bartok are completely stateless, so, problems occurring should be rare.

And by the way, it’s not without precedent for Tidal to do stuff that adversely affects the DAC playback. For example; MPEG and not MQA - #41 by PAR

The reason behind this is that Tidal have unilaterally changed how they are identifying Tidal Master files. So the cause does not lie with Mosaic but that the change by Tidal has resulted in this outcome.

Ultimately, there could be a whole host of reasons for your double-speed playback incident, maybe best to just report it separately if you encounter it again. :crossed_fingers:t2:

I have about 700Mbs with reasonably low latency.

As for Tidal, I’m not going to keep it — I have been trialing Tidal vs Qubuz and I’ve decided to keep Qubuz. So hopefully I won’t have this problem again.