Internal or External Clock

I was wondering what the life span of a dCS clock is before its inaccuracy renders it more harmful than good?

Welcome to the dCS community, Mark.

This will help you a bit further:

and

https://dcs.community/t/faq-master-clock-displays-cal/282/2

1 Like

Talk about the perfect illustration that sanity is a relative concept, especially in this hobby. :wink: My dealer carries cables, equipment racks, and a host of “accessories” that cost more than my GNSS clock.

3 Likes

Exactly.

The beauty of a personal hobby is we each get to decide for ourselves. Some of us geek out on clocking, some on cables, some would prefer a Bartok with full Nordost Odin over a Vivaldi with subpar cabling. Who are “we” to judge? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Of course no offense meant Greg.

Certainly to an outsider it looks nuts, but so is the idea that clock cables can make an audible difference, yet they very much do.

1 Like

Gosh Bill, none taken! That’s why the little winky emoji. More than once, I have found genuine mirth in my and others’ “selection of obsession.”

I am willing to believe that’s possible, But I have yet to read or hear an engineering explanation for why, other than compliance to standard. Shortly before my Vivaldi went in for its upgrade, I spent weeks comparing some very expensive clock cables, which are enthusiastically reviewed here and elsewhere. These weren’t demos. I paid nearly $10k for a full loom. Zero audible difference—“better” or “worse,” whatever those two terms might mean; simply no difference—in my system.

As you have suggested in other threads, sometimes the only way to find out is to try out. I did and, while I will gladly acknowledge that there might well be a cable out there that could make a difference in my system, I’ve given that possibility about as much trial-and-error time out of what remains on my actuarial table as I am willing. :smile: Time to remain in the joy of just listening.

On a separate and unrelated note, while I was waiting to retrieve my Vivaldi Apex, I was fortunate to have as a fallback the Sonore Optical Rendu feeding the Legacy Wavelet directly through USB. The Wavelet is a very good DAC in its own right, but it’s no Vivaldi. Having the Apex back is noticeably so much better, but I acknowledge that my brain and ears are probably making more of a comparison with the Sonore/Wavelet combo than they are capable of accurately comparing the pre-Apex Vivaldi. :person_shrugging:

4 Likes

Hi,

Do you mean that between the pre apex and the apex you couldn’t swear that there is an audible improvement of the sound quality ?

I mean exactly that. Too much time and too many intervening factors. While I have zero doubt that it is better, there is no demonstrably credible way to prove it.

3 Likes