Hi-Res URL - Where Are The Instructions?

In one of your user manuals you write: " dCS Mosaic supports digital music streams from the following sources when the dCS device is controlled with the dCS Mosaic Control app:

• UPnP (in conjunction with Minimserver) * USB storage attached to the dCS device
  • Deezer Hi-Fi * Qobuz
  • TIDAL * Internet radio
  • Podcasts"

You list “Internet Radio”… But I do not see instructions on how I may add an internet radio URL. Would you please provide the step by step instructions?!? Thanks!

Greetings Paul! And welcome to the forum!

Internet radio can be accessed via the Mosaic app, by tapping on the globe-looking icon on the bottom left; from the source listing tap Internet Radio and you have an option to list High quality streams. The choices appear to be curated, and I don’t believe one can add individual urls.

1 Like

This is correct. The internet radio facility is provided by airable, a radio integration service based in Germany. It is their “a” logo which is displayed in Mosaic next to the radio selection option. Note that the list of stations provided in Mosaic is customised by them to dCS’ requirements and hence does not include stations whose format is not supported by Mosaic e.g. stations streaming using FLAC or HLS ( much to my frustration :frowning_face: ).

2 Likes

If I want to add a station streaming in FLAC (I have a URL), how do I enter the URL? The HiFi stream comes from JazzGroove.org - it is a premium version of one of their stations.

(Once upon a time dCS supported Internet radio stations via M3U files that one could edit and stream via UPnP, but not anymore).

As indicated by mwilson and Pete above, when using Mosaic, Internet radio stations are curated and so you cannot add your own URL.

Two possible work-arounds that I can think of;

1. Use a Mac/iPhone to tune into your Jazzgroove account and stream via Airplay to your dCS
  2. Use Roon, in which case you can add your own Radio stations, including Jazzgroove (per the instructions on their site).
1 Like

Unfortunately as I said earlier ,there would be no point in Paul trying to add any internet radio station to Mosaic streaming FLAC as, like HLS, this is not a format that it supports. The options you provide are indeed the only alternatives I can think of but, of course, are dependant upon owning an Apple phone or iPad and/or having a Roon account which adds considerable expense to listen to one station if he is not an existing owner/subscriber.

2 Likes

Oh? :thinking: I think I recall HLS being an issue, but FLAC? It’s certainly not a limitation of the hardware; I can stream Radio Paradise FLAC right into my Vivaldi via Roon without any problems.

1 Like

Yup, via Roon. However although the hardware will handle FLAC (after all I use it all the time with both my local files and Qobuz) it is not supported by Mosaic in Radio mode. Given its existence otherwise it does seem strange. airable also has those FLAC internet stations in its catalogue but not in the menu provided to dCS, presumably as per the specification airable were provided with? Maybe there’s some kind of licensing premium payable? So were dCS to enable the support then on paper all would be ready to go immediately.

1 Like

Paul, thanks for posting this question. I did not know about Jazz Groove before now. I have subscribed, and while Roon Radio and Qobuz are an excellent combo, this is an added delight.

Welcome aboard JazzGroove.org Greg & thank you so much for your support. We offer five jazz channels (more planned) & new iOS & Android apps coming this summer.

1 Like

We are currently working on a solution for entering Internet Radio URLs. Apart from Jazz Groove which other Internet Radio stations do you listen to that are not currently supported by Mosaic?

1 Like

Great idea. Just so long as it is in addition to airable and not instead of.

In regard to the second question although this does not concern me directly I remember that there have been some postings over the years regarding stations that stream in FLAC. Paradise Radio is one that comes to mind. Obviously a dCS system will decode FLACs but not the radio side of Mosaic. I am sure that there would be a demand for this if made available even if the URL had to be added by the user.