Folk & Acoustic Music

Can recommend this album, Eliza Edens, Time Away From Time

Mac

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll have a listen.

‘Bella’ is my favourite track from (Brother & Sister act) Angus and Julia Stone’s album, A Book Like This;

Great duo, not keen on their last couple of albums though, think my favourite is Down the Way
Julia Stone’s solo albums are pretty good too.
Mac

Probably mine too…

I’m currently listening to David Grisman’s 'Dawg ‘90’ album. I’m a big fan of the mandolin, and he really makes it ‘sing’.

Here’s one of my favourite tracks on the album;

It’s a wonderful instrument… rather unfashionably, I’m a fan of the banjo too
Mac

1 Like

As am I…

Track from an early Damien Jurado album Rehersals For Departures

Mac

1 Like

Australian singer songwriter Emily Barker, track from her album A Dark Murmeration of Words

Mac

Good stuff, thanks.

British Folk singer songwriter Josienne clarke, used to be pretty traditional, but getting more experimental on last album A Small Unknowable Thing… bit of a 50 50 one for me, but this is a lovely track

Mac

1 Like

Nice, thanks.
I think that she’s got a lovely voice.
I only have one of her albums in my library, being ‘In All Weather’.

I’ll check out the rest of her discography.

New release today from The Weather Station, ‘How is it that I should look at the stars’

1 Like

I was intending to write about folk musician Dick Gaughan (I remember him as being rightly being referred to as “the excellent Dick Gaughan” by UK DJ John Peel in the late 70s), and the Boys of the Lough from the same period. It is only in the last year or so that I managed to find the Gaughan cd with the track I still remember: “Farewell to whisky”. But the post about Rhiannon Giddens caught my notice. A friend gave me a copy of her album Tomorrow is My Turn, which includes a cover of the obscure-but-very-great song “Last kind words”. This song is, I think, one of just three recorded songs by Geeshie Wiley and Elvie Thomas.

And then, by chance, I came across a fascinating New York Times article that describes the search to find out who these women were. Maybe it’s just me, but I found it completely gripping. The original versions of the songs are included in the article. The sub heading of the article says it all:

“On the trail of the phantom women who changed American music and then vanished without a trace.”

The article is here: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/04/13/magazine/blues.html

2 Likes

Fantastic, thanks for sharing, will be sure to read artical over the weekend.
Mac

An artist I’ve only just discovered, London born, New York based singer songwriter Rupert Wates… well worth checking out his albums on Spotify etc

Mac

1 Like

Been having quite a diverse day of listening… started off with The Colorist Orchestra and Howe Gelb followed by Elbow Flying Dream No;1 and finishing with Scottish Folk artist Jim Malcolm, here’s a track from his album Acquaintance

Mac

1 Like

For those not already familiar with ‘Larkin Poe’, you may wish to have a listen to their album ‘Peach’.

This is the opening track.

Edit: this album really is stretching the folk genre boundaries…

1 Like

Maybe a bit, but I think they’re pretty Folk/Blues/Rock… love the version of Black Betty and like their covers album Kindred Spirits
Mac

1 Like

Here’s my Spotify suggestion of the day; Eleri Ward, track from her album A Perfect Little Death

Mac

1 Like