Folk & Acoustic Music

Good day all,
Not sure if this topic has been raised before, but I am a self confessed Folk/Acoustic fanatic, so much so I write a blog www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com and regularly upload shows and mixes to www.mixcloud.com/maccar.
I’m always on the look out for new music, so if you like to share your favourite, or recommend little known artists that fit this genre, please respond.
Here’s a few of my favourites to get us started:
Karine Polwart, Laura Veirs, You Are Wolf, Agnes Obel, Scott Matthews, Cara Dillon
Over to you
Mac

1 Like

Hey Eamonn,

if you don’t know them yet, you might want to check out these albums. I interpret the genre boundaries loosely…

The Path Of The Clouds . Marissa Nadler
Geek The Girl . Lisa Germano
I’ve Felt All These Things . Anna Leone
The Covers Record . Cat Power
At Swim . Lisa Hannigan
Waves . Victoria Bigelow
Forever Blue . A.A. Williams
Oregon In A Day . Gracie Gray
Birdcage . Sophia Pfister
Wildflowers . Judy Collins (OK, you certainly know that one! :smiley:)
All Mirrors . Angel Olsen
Not Even Happiness . Julie Byrne
Vulture Prince . Arooj Aftab
The Great Plains . Thomas Dybdahl (saw him live with maybe seventy other people in the audience :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:)

Agnes Obel and Scott Mathews I knew, will check out the others!

And thank you very much for opening this topic. It’s excellent to see more life in the music section of the forum.

1 Like

Hi Marco,
I’ve done a similar post on PFM and it’s gone down really well, so hoped it would work on here.
I know a few of the artists you mention… particularly love the Julie Byrne album and I look forward to checking the others out, thanks.
A few more for you:
Kitty Macfarlane, Inni K, Alexa Rose, Sam AmidonJake Xerxes Fussell, Sarah Jarosz, Caitlin Canty, Raine Hamilton
I’m all for stretching the boundaries of genres and if people would like to add a youtube clip to their recommendations, that would be good.

Thank you for the other recommendations @Macspur, will listen. Looked at the thread on PFM, it is massive…

A band that came to mind was Red House Painters. You might want to spin either ‘Down Colorful Hill’ or ‘Red House Painters I’.

1 Like

Brilliant Irish singer songwriter Dani Larkin, track from her album Notes for A Maiden Warrior

Come on guys, must be more like minded Folk & Acoustic fans listening to great music through their quality dCS kit?!

I have just done a search in my Roon library for Folk as a genre.

Much to my surprise, there are 298 albums, most of which I haven’t listened to in years, apart from Nick Drake and Sandy Denny (‘No more sad refrains’ compilation).

Clearly, it’s time for me to reacquaint myself with the genre, especially those albums that I deemed enjoyable enough to put in my library.

If you’re interested, I could send you screenshots (there are 13, which encompass all 298 albums), but there probably won’t be too many new discoveries for you…

I decided to apply search filter for ‘top 250 played’ in the Folk genre, which inevitably narrowed down the result considerably…

Looking through my library again, I will revisit several artists…

especially this Pentangle album;

1 Like

Jonathan, Well done for the screenshots, but sadly I’m blind and can’t see them, no matter though, hopefully others will appreciate them.
Which Pentangle album did you mean?
If you like Pentangle, perhaps try looking up a band called Spoil the Dance, they’re a relatively new outfit and to my ears quite reminiscent of bands of that era
Mac

1 Like

Eamonn, he meant Pentangle’s Basket of Light. 's a good one…

2 Likes

Ah, thanks, good album I also like A Maid That’s Deep in Love
Mac

Eamonn, sorry about that!
I’ll have a listen to Spoil the Dance. Thanks for the tip.

1 Like

Hey, no worries, you weren’t to know
Mac

1 Like

Looking through my library again, you may be interested in;

David Elias Acoustic Trio - DSD Sessions.

I have the NativeDSD download, but the FLAC version is available on both Qobuz and Tidal.

Edit
Here’s a YouTube link;

1 Like

Quality! listening to it on Spotify as I type, many thanks.
Another one of my current faves is this:

Mac

2 Likes

I’m glad that you’re enjoying it.

I’ll have a listen to Fern Maddie.

I’m grateful to you for starting this thread.
It has prompted me to revisit a genre that I used to play regularly but, as time elapsed, I began to delve deeper into other genres, hence my ‘dormant’ folk/acoustic collection.

I anticipate that I’ll be posting more suggestions in the coming days but, in the meantime, here is some of the music that I replayed today;

Stefan Grossman/John Renbourn: Under the Volcano

Myrkur: Folkesange

Calum Graham: Phoenix Rising

Gillian Welch: Hell Among the Yearlings

Ane Brun: Singles 2003-2013

Greg Cardinal: In your eyes (single from 2016 on Tidal)

Phoebe Snow: Phoebe Snow Live (Woodstock 2008)

Thus prompted;

Townes Van Zandt: The Late Great Townes Van Zandt

Keren Ann: La Biographie de Luka Philipsen

1 Like

Great stuff! I just love the genre so much, but I do still like other types of music too a bit of Jazz and Indie Rock, particularly like the band The National.
Great version of The House Carpenter on that Myrkur: album.
My favourite Gillian Welch album is The Harrow and the Harvest.
Really liking Keren Ann
Here’s a band that pushes British Folk boundaries… This is the Kit

Mac

1 Like

I’ll give This is the Kit a whirl, thanks.

In the meantime, here is today’s playlist;

Gordon Lightfoot: If you could read my mind

The Wailin’ Jennys: 40 Days

Chris Thile & Brad Mehldau: Chris Thile & Brad Mehldau

June Tabor: Airs and Graces

Al Petway: Caledon Wood

Mark Hollis: Mark Hollis

Martha Wainwright: Martha Wainwright

Great Lake Swimmers: Lost Channels

The Milk Carton Kids: Monterey

Shawn Colvin: Steady On (30th anniversary Acoustic Edition)

Gillian Welch, David Rawlings: All the Good Times

Laura Veirs: Saltbreakers

Finally, stretching the genre boundaries, again;

Sad Lovers & Giants: Feeding the Flame

Muddy Waters: Folk Singer (sorry, I couldn’t resist it!)

I’ve just realised that I seem to have unwittingly created a list with somewhat of a Canadian theme!

1 Like

Yup, I like this album too, especially the ‘Scarlet Town’ and ‘Tennessee’.

Incredible artwork on the album cover!

1 Like

Some crackers there! Love the Wailin Jennys and as for Laura Veirs… fantastic!, got all her albums
A couple of Canadian Folk bands for you to check out; Rum Ragged and The Once, their first two albums in particular.
Have you come across Anais Mitchell? I’m sure you must have.
Here’s a track from Vienna Teng off her album Waking Hour

1 Like