Failed to load Metadata

Pete, the screenshots you attached in this thread shows you having already selected a particular album and showing it’s corresponding metadata. Neither I, nor I believe Steve, have any problems with that, it works just fine with all metadata showing, including album name, track lists etc., showing up properly.

The problem manifests when you’re looking at a list of local albums, like shown in Steve’s [second] screenshot, and then request the “Album Information” of just one of them from that list of albums.

Give it a try and tell us what you get please.

My app source is google store. Each installation done with a few months between… so it’s not like it’s the same file (apk). So we’re saying if the files are on the same computer as the upnp server software?

Not sure if that’s right. I tried this with asset and MM4 running on my laptop pc which were accessing files stored on a remote NAS (my trusty NUC) and mosaic had the issues. So I don’t think it’s whether the files are local or remote to the upnp server.

Test…

Took a copy of the aforementioned Abba/Gold album and stored it on my laptop drive.

Run MM4 (a convenient UPnP server already installed) on the laptop.

Use Mosaic to select metadata from the album stored local… error. Then used mosaic to select the album stored on the remote NAS (so NOT on the laptop drive)… error.

What the heck is going on here?!!

btw also just tried an uninstall of mosaic and reinstall… still gives the error.

New member here and have the exact same problem.

Innuos, running Asset, into NWB using Mosaic. Request album data from list and get Whoops! failed to load metadata.

1 Like

Starting to bug me so I’ve been doing some packet scanning.

It looks like the bartok prefetches the album info.
The mosaic goes to the bartok and says give me the album details.
Then, a few packets afterwards the bartok replies to that GET with something like
Array
String value: Gold - Greatest Hits
Null value
Null value
Null value
Null value
Null value

So, you can see what mosaic has asked for and the reply from the bartok which seems to be ‘Null value’.

However why?

OK Anup, here is a list of albums from my library displayed on Mosaic ( I am listening to BBC Radio 3 at this point):

And here I am playing the third selection down in the list:

No worries.

Ah, got you. “Album Information” as a specific request? No this does not work and I suspect is not a fault but something that has not yet been properly actioned in the app. Maybe it will function in v. 1.1.1. We need Andrew’s advice on this as if I am correct as there is no way that we can solve it here. IMO It just hasn’t been configured in the app so far.

1 Like

Hi Graham and welcome. Your problem is not exactly the same as you are using Innuos and asset. There have been problems reported before with this combination into dCS. Innuos used to provide an alternative to the default UPnP server which was …MinimServer. MinimServer is the only UPnP server that dCS supports ( see FAQs).

Check your Innuos handbook to see if the menu switch from the default to MinimServer is still there. If not you could also Google "Innuos with MinimServer " as MinimServer do provide custom versions for both specific IT servers such as QNAP and for streamers like Melco ( and hopefully Innuos).

This is NOT an Asset issue. The fault it also seen using minim.

Steve I didn’t say that it was an Asset issue. I said it was an issue that we have seen before where Innuos and Asset have combined.

Anyway I am now of the opinion that this isn’t a fault per se but a feature of Mosaic that either hasn’t been configured by dCS yet or is inapplicable to local files. In the latter case the UPnP server would have to know what to select from the full ID3 file ( which is at track not album level anyway) in order to select “Album Information” or you would need to create an " Album Information" object. I doubt that any default configuration of any UPnP server software does this. However streaming services can and do offer album ( and track) information which is probably the facility’s origin. As you have no doubt worked out Mosaic offers effectively the same format for all sources which is why the option is there but there is nothing for it to connect with for local files.

We really need comment from Andrew. So that probably puts it on ice until the working week.

1 Like

Yes… sorry. I went a bit OTT there.

Pete…Not meaning to but in, but can you clarify what you mean by ‘router/switch configuration’, as this may be something some of us, including me, could learn from. For instance, my Sky Q router has very limited configuration, when it comes to streaming, and my switch is a simple unmanaged TP Link.

Apologies to Steve & Pete for butting in.

Do you know how to look at the configuration of your router via your computer? You should find it in your router’s manual ( paper or online) or have been advised by your ISP in the installation instructions if your router has been provided by them

If you open your router’s configuration application you will find it offers many options - several pages/screens worth for mine. Some will affect the relationship between it and the ability to stream via Mosaic. See some of the posts on dCS community concerning e.g. streaming with Bartok.

Is this the answer you were looking for ? NB: if all is working OK then you need not worry.

1 Like

100% agree there… I hear too many tales of people making things worse by deciding to ‘tinker’ with settings they don’t understand. My advice is leave it all alone and on defaults. 99.99% of the time everything will be fine. What I would suggest is connecting everything to a central switch of good quality. don’t be tempted to go for some super complicated managed switch - a basic ‘dumb’ 1gig ciso switch is fine. Then branch everything off from that i.e. streamer, nas, access point, etc… I would also suggest turning the wifi on your router off and connecting to the switch a good, business class, dual band access point. Invariably the wifi in the standard domestic router isn’t the best and having the wifi interface in the router housing/pcb means a higher risk of interference between the various elements.

1 Like

Yes I do Pete (See screenshot) However, I wouldn’t have the slightest idea what to change/configure. :thinking: Especially if I was having Steve’s issues. That is of course, if it’s a network issue.

As I mentioned and as Steve confirms , unless you actually have an issue to solve then there is no need to be concerned with your router settings.

I do not currently think that Steve, Anup or anyone else has a problem with their network on the subject of this thread. They are asking Mosaic to retrieve information that does not exist on the local file server - “Album Information” - whatever that may be; there is no accepted definition. That is why it cannot be loaded.

1 Like

Understood. Thanks Pete. :+1:

Right :+1:t3:. The BubbleUPnP client shows some basic metadata on the same local albums, but I haven’t bothered to tracked down where exactly that data is coming from - I’ve never used this function before, and I’m guessing most others, or we’d have seen reports of it sooner.

Considering an updated version of Mosaic is imminent anyway, this is really a non-issue :slightly_smiling_face:

And Mosaic also shows metadata when you select the album for play but before you select actual play ( as per my screenshots earlier). So in that sense the additional option of “Album Information” is redundant unless it produces metadata that is additional to that displayed by selecting an album. What are those data? Are they held in the local file library? There are additional metadata fields in the file ( if the file vendor or user has populated them) but they are not album level data . They are at track level e.g. composer, publisher etc.

So even if the “Album Information” option is active, there is nothing for Mosaic to load from local files until someone decides what “Album Information” means and defines where it is located and that location is populated.