Expanse for Rossini and Vivaldi

Well, you can’t disconnect the Rossini from Ethernet, as that is the upgrade path. But having to shut down your Roon Core (safest), or take it out of Roon’s Audio Zones by un-Enabling it (may still not be enough, Roon still scans the network for Roon Ready devices) is really an unproductive endeavour.

Mosaic-only customers won’t have this problem though, if this is indeed the issue. If it is, then dCS have NOT tested this - which is BAD. I’d state that Very Many customers will be using their dCS setup with Roon.

You may need further patience … “Expanse has become such an essential feature for the headphone-listener experience that many customers have been reluctant to upgrade from Bartók to Rossini APEX. dCS saw the need to provide Rossini listeners who value headphone listening with the benefits of Expanse.”

1 Like

My Roon Core runs on a PC connected to the same network as my Rossini. If I don’t let it run, so keep the Roon Remote closed, it is not having an active connection to my Rossini.

Well, that’s what I did. Only opened the Roon Remote to see if the Rossini was still visible when waiting forever to get out of the “Updating network firmware” situation.

And again, NEVER had to do this on the previous occasions!

I am sorry for the hassle you had to go through. We have to wait for @James to shine a light on this matter, so that we will know what to do in the future.

Emos very helpfully replied to the thread I created to let me know about this one.

Basically my experience was almost the same as Paul’s, except I didn’t reset anything from the web page, I just had to power cycle the Rossini Player about four times. :grimacing:

Update to Rossini Player 2.10 was a pain

I forgot to reset first. After 20 minutes I power cycled and the update began. It took the first time. I saw the description of how to access via menu. Why oh why would dCS release this without the Mosaic controller update? My system is strictly headphone so I am intrigued to try this out.

Very happy about the Rossini Expanse implementation - although I should say I have not updated my Rossini yet, will do when I get home.

Having read the previous posts and my experience with the last update ( one of the small percentage who had post update restrictions) I treated this update with trepidation. Sure enough with my negative attitude I got checksum errors, and three reboots and long waits. But the dCS app read checking update where the Rossini display indicated network checking. I rearranged the the network slightly and SUCCESS. Sorry dCS totally my fault

I’ve never had an update issue when I’ve turned off the unit first. But today was interesting.

I did turn the Rossini off and initiated the update via Mosaic. It went through fine and I got to the message on Mosaic saying

“FPGA update started… Image verified. Performing update. Verifying update”

The Rossini screen itself read “Updating Network Software”.

Unfortunately, the twin messages stayed exactly the same for the next 30 minutes. At which point I turned the unit back off and made one more change.

I turned off the Rossini clock and restarted the Rossini (but not the clock). Then the update automatically started going through, downloading the 4096 packets, switching to “UPDATING” and then completed the process with no further intervention from me.

Perhaps my issues was because I had the clock on? Anyway I hope this helps.

I doubt the Clock mattered. At least it did not for me. I waited about 30 minutes for something to happen, then power cycled the Rossini and the packet download began. Then came a request to power cycle again and the download was complete. The Clock remained on throughout this process.

Hope the Mosaic update comes soon. Trying to test Expanse is very awkward using the unit display.

1 Like

I’m extremely happy for this update - thanks dCS for listening! I’m looking forward to the corresponding Mosaic update.

I agree that the update process could be better. It took 3 reboots for me. And I cycled the unit before the update and powered off my Roon core.

3 Likes

Thanks dCS!

1 Like

stupid question…does one benefit from Expanse without headphone?

Yes, sure :joy:

speakers-head

7 Likes

As a direct answer ( taking account of Erno’s amusing one) Expanse uses DSP to improve the experience of listening via headphones. If that DSP is applied to a signal to be replayed from loudspeakers it will be incorrect. It is possible that some listeners might prefer this but then again some people may enjoy anything. So in brief:

Q.

A.
No.

2 Likes

Is that a prototype Abyss headphone?

6 Likes

All I see in the picture is entirely unnecessary and unwelcome stereotypification. I get, truly get, that it was intended as a joke with nothing negative intended but I for one wish it hadn’t been posted.

(This even though your Abyss headphone comment did make me chuckle!)

1 Like

Yeah, I agree.

Me too. We are a rather refined and straitlaced bunch on this forum (at least in public, when we try to be on our best behaviour).