Ethernet switch

I knew there was a reply coming.

Enough said.

(Please accept my apologies, and my error in sharing my prior positive experiences and comments with others in the community.
I now realize, there is no need to bother, I guess it is true…that there is no need for any audio upgrades and we should be happy with the basic cables and off the shelf ethernet accessories.

2 Likes

I unpacked my new toys today. The Trendnet Converter plus two generic SwissGBIC SFP Modules plus a 2m multimode OM3 cable. Installation was a breeze.
Whether it really sounds better is difficult to say. The sound quality was very good before already. But at least I don’t have to wonder anymore whether I am missing something.
:grinning:

3 Likes

:+1:t2: :smiley:

Now, sit back, relax, and enjoy :grin:

@jacobacci

Welcome to the club.
Here is mine courtesy of some helpful feedback from @Anupc

The bottom Cisco has all of the household devices while the top Cisco is dedicated exclusively to the Rossini. Blue Jeans CAT6 un shielded as well.

3 Likes

Hey Gregg…the top one is crooked.

1 Like

:laughing:
next time you are on the “right” coast you can come over and straighten it

1 Like

Melco S100 improved streaming a lot in my system (Rossini player), a plixir BDC power supply with an Ansuz C1 powercord to feed the S100 are the “icing on the cake”, playing CD’s through the Rossini was always the best performance in my system, but streaming (qobuz) is now very close (if not better with well recorded high res recordings)

3 Likes

I just upgraded my switch to Ansuz D2 Power Switch, from a Taiwan switch product (with LPS)… no regret, huge upgrade, and the sound is so “analogue” now…

Paul,
how do you run the Ansuz?
I just gave back my Ansuz since it’s blocking upnp (couldn’t see any upnp attached NAS serever with Rossini) and it works only with roon (roon uses different protocol that the switch isn’t blocking)!
After some calls with Ansuz, they confirmed that this is a hw problem that can’t be fixed since all of their switches are using same hw engine.

Hi… That’s strange. My Ansuz setup works well with my NAS (on QNAP) and Roon… I like the sound of Ansuz so much…

May I know which NAS server are you using?

It worked with roon but not native (Mosaic app) with upnp services. I tried melco, qnap, synology, innuos - even a mac with twonky wasn’t detected. Do you get upnp native access via Mosaic app?

1 Like

that must be very frustrating, sorry for that. you even tried on melco & innuos - those “made for hifi”…

for my setup, it works well for NAS detection with both Roon and Mosaic. I prefer running on Roon, due to the user friendliness.

Thanks Paul,
this is really strange- I tried two different Ansuz switches and both didn’t work.
I had everything (dCS Rossini, Melco, roon server and wlan access) connected to Ansuz. I changed cables, ports etc. without a result. Bought finally Innuos PhoenixNet …

This confirms an experience I had. Plugging the Rossini into a switch in the same room resulted in very very harsh sound. Plugging the Rossini into a port that led to a switch on the other side of the house solved the problem. It’s possible the problem could simply have been with the local switch itself. All I can say is the difference was not at all subtle.

1 Like

Paul,
please could you describe you cabeling (what is connected to what…) please?
Thanks!

Hi… I am using Netgear Orbi for wifi and computer connections.

for audio/ home theatre, all devices are connected to Ansuz D2 powerswitch.
Netgear Orbi > Ansuz D2 = AIM NA7
Ansuz > dCS = Ansuz D2
QNAP NAS > Ansus = Siltech Royal Signature Crown
Apple TV, Panasonic BD Player, and LG TV = tailored Viablue EP-7S with Telegartner head

With the Ansuz, not only the audio quality is enhanced, the Netflix, Disney+ and Youtube also being enhanced (mainly the audio, not video).

Many thanks Paul!
Basically, I run same setup without the Qnap (using Melco) and cables.

1 Like

Melco is great! enjoy listening…

1 Like

Apologies, but even as a relative newbie I need to take issue here. Nicely and supportively, of course!

You say “Logically, ethernet switches, ethernet cables, power cords, even clock cables shouldn’t make an audible difference but I’ve personally heard that they all do.”

This not actually logical at all. It comes down to noise (RFI/EMI) and shielding from same and if you/the manufacturer address this correctly then there is a good chance you will hear a difference:

Ethernet switch: any switch will break the noise “chain” and stop noise picked up on your ethernet cable from reaching your equipment. It’s true, the boards used inside most “audiophile” switches are stock boards you can find in many a budget switch. They often have a super-accurate clock added but if you know how ethernet works, this will have zero effect on sound quality unless, theoeretically, it replaces a noisy stock clock. The key to superior performance is shielding: instead of using a plastic case or an aluminium case with vent holes in it, wrap it in milled metal and it will reject noise far more effectively.

Ethernet cables: I think others may have pointed out that you should use CAT cables not proprietary “ethernet” cables sold by boutique manufacturers as these often have metal rather than plastic plugs and they stop the galvanic isolation in a typical switch board from doing its job. The noise they let through can initially be perceived as more detail but it isn’t.

Power cables: screen them to keep the noise inside them and thereby away from sensitive signal cables.

Clock cables: no idea or experience but I’d suggest if any difference is heard then it’s noise-related.

I don’t personally buy any of the guff which suggests there is anything magical going on in the digital sphere, at any level of the ethernet protocol, and neither should anyone else. It’s analogue noise, pure and simple; the clever bit is how you reduce this noise to its lowest possible level.

1 Like