DXD 24 bit or DXD 32 bit?

Hi, I was going to purchase Patricia Barber’s latest album Clique! from nativeDSD. Thay are offering it as DXD 352.8 KHz 32 bit. Does the Rossini DAC get there or should I get the 24 bit version?

Thank you

A.

From the website:

Ethernet network port on RJ45 connector, accepts 24-bit 44.1 – 384kS/s PCM, DSD/64 & DSD128 in DFF/DSF format; USB 2.0 interface on B-type connector, accepts 24-bit 44.1 – 384kS/s PCM, DSD/64 & DSD128 in DoP format; USB On-The-Go interface on A-type connector, accepts 24-bit 44.1 – 384kS/s PCM, DSD/64 & DSD128 in DFF/DSF format; 2 x AES/EBU inputs on 3-pin female XLR connectors, accepts 24-bit 44.1 – 192kS/s PCM, DSD/64 & DSD/128 in DoP format; 1x Dual AES pair, accepts 24-bit 88.2 – 384kS/s PCM, DSD/64 & DSD/128 in DoP format; 1 x SPDIF on RCA Phono connector, accepts 24-bit 44.1 – 192kS/s PCM & DSD/64 in DoP format; 1x SPDIF on BNC connector, accepts 24-bit 44.1 – 192kS/s PCM & DSD/64 in DoP format; 1 x SPDIF optical on TOSLINK connector, accepts 24-bit 44.1 – 96kS/s PCM

2 Likes

Mmmm … DXD is PCM, so I am go with the frequency, but no go with the sample rate and should purchase the 24 bit version …

Thanks

A.

1 Like

Oh yeah, DXD is great here. It’s how the album was recorded (likely 24, but I am not sure), and no real reason to not buy it as recorded. Nice album, too.

Some of the providers give you download access at the lower resolutions if you order the top resolutions. It’s a great feature.

Actually NativeDSD say that it was recorded at 32 bit DXD. I am reminded of all those Japanese pens that had a clock in the barrel. Who needs a pen with a clock ? Nobody but they could do it. 32 bit? They can do it but the advantage is ? You do not need a 1528dB dynamic range to successfully record an organ trio plus vocals or anything else in the audio world for that matter.

I think we are in a numbers game here. The audible difference is likely to be marginal even if Zapp could play 32 bit - which he can’t.

If he buys the 32 bit version then as Rossini cannot process this then it will either truncate the bit depth ( not the best thing to do) or just not accept it. If this is his kind of music then he should get the 24 bit version. If he doesn’t know if he will like the music but is just attracted by the big numbers on offer then from my long experience he should keep the money. Buy the music not the format.

As has been noted here recently using the optimum microphones and implementing them properly trumps format changes.

5 Likes

Thanks for that clarification Pete on the 32-bit provenance. I agree with you in all respects.

1 Like

I would get the 24bit version. Converting 32bit floating to 24bit seems to be a can of worms.
Converting 32 bit floating session to 24 bit - Gearspace.com

1 Like

Oh I listened to the album on Qobuz and I love it.

Great microphones, maybe not perfectly placed.

A.

1 Like

Then enjoy! Just get the 24 bit version :smiley:.