dCS Mosaic 1.42 update

Chris, a system firmware or network board/app revision are not the same things. Please see the v 1.4.2 Release Notes to see what is new. None of these things affect the sound.

Plus, I donā€™t imagine dCS likes to keep actual sound quality improvement updates a secret. If there are improvements, it would have been made clear.

But hey, whenā€™s that ever stopped some from ā€œhearingā€ a difference? :rofl:

1 Like

I hear a difference immediately after the update. Oh wait ā€“ my amps are on, but; dCS gear is in sleep mode & that was the neighbors kids yelling at the dog. Great soundstage though & my iPad is faster too. Damn.:rofl::rofl::rofl::+1:

Best to all,

Bob

2 Likes

Yup 2x 2.01 for Bartok, correct.

I tried to add this url http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_three. And got this:

Url does not point to a playable radio station. Any thoughts

Thx. B

Hi Barry, I hit this same thing myself. What I think youā€™ve got there is the URL for the player, and what you need is the URL for the radio stream itselfā€¦ which I just so happen to have right at hand.
This should work: http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/ak/bbc_radio_three.m3u8

EDIT: sorry, yes it looks like the above URL is geolocked to the UK.
Doing some digging on the internet, I think this should give the same station for those of you outside of the UK, albeit at a lower bitrateā€¦ unfortunately Iā€™m (literally) not in a position to check it myself
http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/nonuk/sbr_low/ak/bbc_radio_three.m3u8

3 Likes

Sorry but donā€™t workā€¦

Hi Augusto,

Where are you geographically?

BR

Phil

Hi Phil, Iā€™m in Madrid, Spain , maybe is because of that?

Not sure but the BBC hires streams are - I understand - geo restricted anyway.

I havenā€™t tried that specific URL.

(EDITED TO ADD : I have tried that URL now and it does work for me as a station but if you get that error message then you may also have a spelling error in the URL that you have enteredā€¦)

P

Yes as Phil says.

A small explanation. Although BBC is a national service it is not ā€œfreeā€ and funded by government. Each dwelling in the UK has to buy an annual licence. This is nominally a TV licence but radio services are funded from it too. These are available to UK addresses. Hence the BBC restricts things like high resolution radio geographically by various methods. Digital broadcasting may well lead to restriction by a subscription service similar to Netflix etc. instead of the licence.

2 Likes

Thanks John. Thank you. This works great in the US!
Barry

1 Like

Hi Barry. The front panel display wonā€™t tell you what stream of Radio 3 you have . All the data streams are reduced ( lossy) 16/48 but the thing to know is what the data reduction is. So what you want ( and theoretically should not be able to get in the USA) is an AAC 320kb/sec stream. To find out you need to use Mosaic and expand the view to full screen. You should then see the incoming rate displayed.

Let us know .

1 Like

It was a network board update. But on the Upsampler screen, it was written: firmware update.
I knew it wasnā€™t a new mapper or filter or whatever stuff dealing with the Ring Dac.

But as some people can hear the difference between two network switches, I thought that may be a firmware update dealing with the network board can impact the sound, possibly ?

The network board update in Mosaic 1.42 contains (for all non-Lina components):

• Custom Radio
    Find your favorite Internet Radio stations using the stationā€™s URL address. To access this feature, select
    Radio as the source and select the Custom Radio option within the dCS Mosaic Control app.
  • Find high quality Internet Radio stations at a glance
    High quality Internet Radio stations are now labelled as such in the Mosaic app, allowing you to easily
    identify high quality broadcasts when browsing.
  • UPnP improvements (MinimServer v2.2 support)
    Browse by recently added, recently played or file format when using MinimServer v2.2.

So, these new features will not impact the SQ for BartĆ³k, Rossini and Vivaldi in any way. For the Lina DAC however there are new features that do impact the SQ in a great way.

5 Likes

At long last !!!

After this update, now it plays gapless on 192, DXD ā€¦ (using Mosaic and minimserver).

1 Like

What version of Minimserver are you using?

Thank you , it works also in Spain, but at 107 Kbps only

This is indeed true. The main BBC stream in Canada at least is 24kHz 96kb/s. Not bad and better than some local radio stations but far from the AAC 320kb/s you get in the UK.

One can of course use a VPN service - I have tried this and it does work. However it is more hassle than it is worth as a VPN services will mess up all of your other location services.

I really wish BBC would offer a subscription service to users outside the UK

I used to use a service that could change your apparent location on a device by device basis. Iā€™ll see if I can find out which service this wasā€¦

1 Like