dCS Mosaic 1.42 update

I just keep getting repeated ‘installation failed’ messages.

This seems to happen every time with mosaic updates. It shouldn’t be this difficult and really isn’t good enough…

I have used dCS units for just under a quarter of a centuary and Mosaic since its inception. So a few upgrades. Number of failures = 0. There is no oroblem with their upgrades if the correct procedure is observed.

1 Like

I received an installation failed note but it actually had completed the update. Not sure why the happened. I initiated it via Mosaic on my iPad but followed the progress of the update via the web interface.

1 Like

For ‘procedures’ you mean one click in the app on the ‘tap to download and install’ button.

Since I bought my dCS stuff there have been 3 Mosaic updates. Not one has worked first time. You’ve obviously has a better experience than me Pete; I love the dCS stuff but this side of it is very poor.

1 Like

No. See my post two items above this. It refers in turn to the helpful instructions provided by @Ermos at he start of this thread. I am afraid this is a case of RTFM.

1 Like

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for highlighting that you have repeated updating issues … this could be quite useful to us as most users don’t have issues and we would love to try to identify what the causes of the issues that those that do have issues are.

If you are unable to update your dCS unit from the Mosaic app then could you take a screenshot of any errors that the Mosaic app gives you and could you send that screenshot along with a set of logs from your unit to [email protected].

The process to obtain logs is detailed here

Best Regards

Phil Harris

1 Like

Hi Andrew,

The process for updating a dCS device SHOULD be no more complex than hitting the “Update” button in Mosaic … there SHOULD be nothing more required than that.

For MOST other instances where there are issues with updating units then powering off the unit at the rear panel switch or wall outlet for thirty seconds (the actual time isn’t vital, just that flicking the power off briefly and then flicking it on again can mean that the unit doesn’t have time to properly power down), powering it back up again and then once it has powered up, restarting the update from Mosaic usually sorts that.

I totally get that if you have had issues with each update then it would be frustrating but we have a lot of units out in the field and if everyone was having issues then we’d be swamped each time we do a release - so far I think we’ve had to get involved in updating four units since the release on Tuesday and all but one of those a power cycle sorted out so if you are having repeated issues then it would be great to get the information above from you and we’ll happily help resolve the issue with you.

There should be no NEED to use this procedure - it will work as a way to update a dCS unit just like updating from the app, it’s just a different way to do the same thing …

Cheers

Phil

2 Likes

I will follow that, but, frankly, I shouldn’t have to. My point is, Pete, the link on the app does not work.

Why on earth have a link on the app to an upgrade, when a more convoluted approach is,apparently, required. Poor. Either have a link that works, or remove it and advise people of the correct way to install updates.

Hi Andrew,

As I have said above, I understand that it appears that the update process doesn’t work for you and we would like to get to the bottom of why it doesn’t work for you but it does work for several thousands of people elsewhere each time that we do an update without any special process needing to be done other than hitting the “update” button in the app (we can obviously see the traffic to the update server and see how many times the update has been retrieved although of course we don’t know who is downloading it).

If you can provide us with the information that I’ve requested then that might help us to identify why the update process isn’t working for you and - hopefully - fix that.

BR

Phil

1 Like

Except that it does. Except for you :wink:

It is going to be necessary to refresh the system first anyway ( that is what the switch off/reboot from the back panel does). I can see that this stage might be able to be made automatic and triggered from the “Upgrade” selection but then no doubt people would complain that their system suddenly shut down. You also need something to ensure that the function is not triggered accidentally. Perhaps a two factor system with an authorisation code sent to your phone but this would require registration so dCS knows the number ?

Anyway what is so arduous in switching off and on first?

1 Like

Hi Pete,

It shouldn’t even be necessary to power cycle a unit first but if the update fails then that would be the first thing that we would suggest as that USUALLY resolves the issue - basically it refreshes the DHCP allocation tables in the router and it grabs up to date entries for things like DNS servers if the router is giving out an external DNS etc.

So far with this update we have only had one unit where a simple power cycle has not resolved the problem and I had to resort to “Plan D” in the end with that one but that one was resolved and updated too.

BR

Phil

1 Like

Hi Augusto,

If you mean from within the TIDAL and Qobuz apps themselves then that is because we currently support TIDAL Connect but we don’t currently support Qobuz Connect (they are two quite different entities).

…and to pre-empt your next question. I do not (as of the time of posting this) have any information as to whether Qobuz Connect functionality will be added to the streamers.

Best Regards

Phil Harris

1 Like

I’m sure I’ll get it sorted Pete; all I was painstakingly trying to point out was that it should just work for everyone. That’s all.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your answer Phil. Yes I was talking about Tidal and Qobuz Apps, one, Tidal plays directly recognizing my Bartok while the other one Qobuz don’t . Maybe in the next upgrade will be possible , I imagine if Qobuz is also interested in do it.

I came to this fail proof procedure because almost NEVER the simple one through the Mosaic app worked for me. I know what I am doing, but sorry, it failed too may times. Only if I follow this procedure it is a walk in the park. And NO, I do not have network issues, and my dCS gear works like a charm.

Phil, Augusto,
Qobuz does not currently support a direct “connect” capability (unlike Tidal and Spotify).

Here’s Dan Mackta, (MD, Qobuz)

S!: For those who know their way around streaming platforms, could you let us know when we can expect Qobuz Connect? What other new implantations are on the cards?

DM: Qobuz Connect is currently in development and we are expecting to launch it in the first half of 2023. This feature will allow users to play Qobuz right out of our app to whatever audio hardware they choose. Other improvements like a redesigned My Qobuz section are also on the way.

Evidently they’re late with the development.

2 Likes

@Phil

The reason it is not working for me is probably:

Mosaic is running on my iPad Air (gen 1) from 2013 with max IOS/IPADOS 12.

I run 12.4.3 and can update to 12.5.7

Hi Erno,

I completely get that that sequence you have arrived at works for you and that’s great - I’m certainly not going to tell you not to use it if you’re happy with it - but it won’t necessarily work for someone else who might be having an issue (as theirs could be a different issue - it could be a DNS issue or it could be an issue with excessive latency or something else causing the firmware download to fail or whatever).

As such I do need to clarify that the sequence that you use isn’t necessary for the update to work in general - there are thousands of units out in the field that get updated from the app and don’t need any special fettling.

Basically if the update doesn’t complete from the app first time round then a power cycle of the unit (which is what you are doing in your sequence) and then kicking the update off from the app again will usually resolve it and the firmware update will then usually complete.

It isn’t specifically required that a streamer is power cycled before updating it but it also doesn’t have any downsides either so if you want to power cycle your unit before updating (which you are doing) then that’s absolutely fine.

Setting off the update from the update button in the app and setting off the update from the internet update button in the web interface both kick off the same download update routine on the streamer itself so if one of those works then the other should also have done too.

It would however be really handy to be able to get the same information back from your (and anyone elses) setup when a streamer won’t update after a power cycle that I’ve asked for from Andrew, then we can try to identify why it was an issue for your setup and ideally find a fix.

BR

Phil

3 Likes

Thanks Phil!

Can you please comment on if my old iOS version (12.4.3, see above) might be the culprit?

Anyway, next time I can run an update I will try again through the app, and will save the screenshot and logs, and send them to you.

Hi Erno,

That shouldn’t make any difference - my own iPads are on 13.x, 15.x and 16.x respectively and I can update units from all of them. The update button in the app just sends a command to the streamer in the same way that pressing play or pause or track skip does …

Cheers

Phil

2 Likes