dCS Apex series is here

Great forum, but kind of difficult for a new-bee to follow this topic across multiple threads and posts. If I understand things correct, these are among the most relevant posts:

Product announcement coming later in Feb

Price list published by a dealer shows 25% rise. Since this list was published and removed twice, it isn’t unreasonable to speculate that the reference to Apex is under embargo.

and last but not least, speculation around the Apex upgrade. if this is true, I personally think it is a great way of upgrading the Vivaldi and Rossini platforms as loyal customers have a significant upgrade path that doesn’t require abandoning their existing investment

2 Likes

The world of high end audio isn’t that big; you’d think dCS and Gryphon could have avoided using the same name. :grin:

The Gryphon Apex and Commander

So now you can have Gryphon Apex amplifiers to go with your dCS Apex Rossini DAC. :rofl:

1 Like

That explains it! The Apex Rossini is a Rossini in a Gryphon case! Brillante!

3 Likes

Looks like it’s for tomorrow

Looks like it;

3 Likes
1 Like

Nothing for Bartok, nada, not any word Obviously Bartok is the poor brother of the dCS products line, although it is probably the best seller with big difference.

2 Likes

It is a pity that Apex is not available for Bartok, there is no way to upgrade it to the head-amp version and there is no information about at least a new firmware version 2.0. However, Bartok also becomes more expensive.

1 Like

exactly … I’m looking for the word “Bartok” in the text :slight_smile: but nothing…

1 Like

I have a friend interested in upgrading his Rossini Player to a Vivaldi One. No mention of that word either.

Response from DCS to a query on Facebook page says that Vivaldi One will also get the APEX upgrade.

1 Like

I think the Apex announcement is fabulous news for Bartok owners. The ‘retrofit approach’ means the market won’t be flooded with second hand Rossini’s that would otherwise compete with the entry level Bartok. Bartok remains a secure investment that will hold its value.

As for whats’ next for Bartok, I wouldn’t want to speculate, but I personally hope to see a 2.0 mapper at some point in the future.

4 Likes

I have to admit that I am very pleased with this news. While I expect the upgrade price to be, ahem, not inconsequential, it’s a wonderful option to have. Upgradeability is a plus. I’ve been enjoying my Vivaldi for almost two years, and now it appears for many more years to come. I realize upgradeability is not a requisite to enjoyment, but it’s a component of peace of mind thet a company like dCS doesn’t “orphan” its customers. This is a very decisive response to all those questions about product life cycle.

9 Likes

I will be curious to learn, as a Rossini owner, whether future software upgrades for the Apex model will also be compatible with the current model.

From the information released earlier today we know dCS have made “some major changes to the Ring DAC hardware. Reconfigured the Ring DAC circuit board and developed an all-new analogue output stage”.

As this information is being drip fed I’m hoping whatever is made available to the Apex going forward works for the older model. It will certainly affect customer decisions if it does not.

3 Likes

I’m very excited about the news and look forward to getting the Apex upgrade to my Rossini. This
shows how much the company cares about its customers and continuing improvement of its product line.

Do you think Apex is a stopgap?

I’m wondering what its lifespan will be?

It will be interesting to see where the pricing comes out, especially with all the price increases we have seen in recent times.

I would be interested in an APEX version of the Bartok, but will be waiting to see where things land with the Rossini first :slight_smile:

Certainly wish dCS would be more forthright and clear on this whole issue. I suspect the upgrade details have been decided upon so this piecemeal release is frustrating.
IMO

I was told (by a highly reputable source) that here in the States the APEX upgrade cost will be the exact same as the price increase coming to the Rossini. If true this seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Best
Gregg

2 Likes

A price is reasonable if there is demand at that price.
Since we are talking about a substantial price increase, there will be demand at that price if the SQ increase is also substantial.
Personally, I hope it will be less than that difference, at least for recent customers.
We will see. And of course, listen.

A.

1 Like