Clocking cables of different length?

I got four clocking cables, two each 1 and 1,5 meters in length (not sure why, quite possibly due to stock, Chris Sommovigo’s Black Cat being a one-man operation). I’m using one length for the 44kS/s, the other for the 48kS/s group, respectively, even though I’m quite sure the minor difference in length is irrelevant. Even so, I’d be curious to know if indeed it doesn’t matter? Thanks in advance!

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

There is a consideration of the signal reflection caused by the change in impedance due to the termination of the cable. You will find that a cable length of 1.5m is often considered as a minimum length in digital audio in order achieve a reasonable degree of attenuation by the cable of that signal reflection.

2 Likes

All things being equal (and assuming that the cables are otherwise “correct”) there will be no real difference between the 1m and 1.5m cables.

1 Like

Yes, I seem to remember Steve Nugent wrote a white paper about it years ago - that’s why I’m using the 1,5 meter ones for the 44kS/s group.

Still interested if Andrew or someone else is able to answer my question regarding using cables of different lengths (clocking multiple units).

Thanks! I must not have been very clear in my original post: I meant clocking (synchronizing) several units from the same master clock using cables of varying lengths - I’assuming that if one were a few hundred meters long and the other short, this might affect clocking, but with differences as small as half a meter?

Obviously, in a Vivaldi stack without Transport, i.e. Upsampler, DAC and Clock, I need 4 clocking cables. It seemed to me to make most sense to use the 1,5 meter ones for the 44kS/s group and the 1 meter ones for the 48kS/s group, just because my lizard brain tells me not to mix cables of varying lengths. Even so, I’m wondering if it matters?

Yes David , the Steve Nugent white paper is what I was thinking of.

Although I cannot find the original, Positive Feedback do provide a piece along these lines from Nugent:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue14/spdif.htm

2 Likes