BUG: Mosaic indicates incorrect clock synch

When selecting the incorrect word clock input for a stream, the dac reverts to master mode but the app continues to indicate the selected sync mode.

Expected behavior is to have the app indicate current sync mode used by dac. The app should indicate master mode.

Mosaic → Device shows the unit’s current configuration (which changes dynamically when the configuration on the hardware unit is changed). I don’t believe it’s meant to reflect the running status/clock source of the unit.

So, Mosaic Control is behaving exactly as it was designed to do, it’s not a bug.

That said, I don’t follow why would anyone not configure “Auto Wordclock” when a dCS DACs is paired with a dCS Clock?? :thinking:

The manual indicates that if I select W1 sync mode then the dac locks to the signal on the W1 input. That is not what appears to actually happen. The dac only locks to the signal if it’s the same as the stream. If it isn’t compatible then the dac changes to master mode. Nothing in the manual indicates this behavior exists.

Normally settings are treated as commands. This setting is processed more like a suggestion. If the dac overrides a setting the control app should be notified and the user made aware. Ideally the hardware would simply refuse to function if user settings are incompatible with proper operation.

Obviously not a huge issue and I only discovered this unexpected behavior by playing around with things that shouldn’t work. It was confusing to lock to 41k while listening to 48k and have it sound perfectly fine. Now I know it wasn’t using the 41k signal. Can’t imagine it would be difficult to include an icon in the app for the clock source currently used.

Even easier to set your dCS DAC to Auto Wordclock and not even have to worry about it at all :laughing:

1 Like

Except if one of the clock inputs fail then you won’t immediately know because it defaults to master mode. Easiest approach would be to rewrite the manual to describes the actual behavior of the dac. It’s annoying to read a manual, experience something other than expected, and find out the manual isn’t precise.

If Mosaic is a hardware controller then any setting that can be changed by it needs to also indicate the current state of the hardware. If it doesn’t have that then it’s just a remote control.

1 Like

Well, after nearly 15 years owning dCS flagship stacks, I’ve never ever had a clock input fail. I don’t think I’ve ever seen any such reports on dcs.community either. Lots of people misconfiguring it like you have though.

As for the manual and Mosaic’s functionality, sorry I don’t share your opinion about requiring any changes, especially with respect to clocking status.

That’s fine and I’m confident most won’t care either way. That won’t change my view that consistency and precision are important aspects of software design. As a person who takes seriously the art of software creation, minor issues make a difference.

If I understand this correctly, you’re saying;

…because the dCS DAC reverts to using its internal clock when you’ve misconfigured it’s external master clock setting, it’s dCS’ fault for letting you hear music while not making it clear in the manual or on Mosaic control that you’ve misconfigured the clock setting.

Is that about right?

I believe thats called User Error :rofl:

2 Likes

If I’ve selected W1 that means use W1. If the dac decides to use master mode then let me know in the app. It’s not a huge ask to see the current clock source used by the dac. Maybe it’s stupid to you but I’m also a dCS customer. From an economic perspective, my opinion is more important since, unlike many, I’ve yet to purchase a “flagship stack” from dCS. If this simple feature sells one more Vivaldi next year then the half day spent adding it is likely a reasonable allocation of resources.

Not sure why you believe I’m a person whom you feel publicly mocking is in anybody’s best interest.

Katzky, this is what should be happening:

1. When Rossini DAC receives an incorrect wordclock signal it DOES display an error warning. You should see a version of the wordclock icon in RED on the DAC front panel display.

2. When Rossini displays that red icon the synch reverts to Audio not Master.

All of this is explained in the User Manual p.37.

1. When any of the wordclock settings are changed this will automatically be reflected in Mosaic. Change W1 to W2 using the Rossini DAC front panel then the display in Mosaic will change in accordance. If the wrong wordclock is selected i.e.W1 instead of W2 for a 48kHz base data stream then synch will become “Audio”. However this does not change in the synch display from W1 to Audio. Why not? Firstly because W1 is what has been selected. However if this is no longer displayed it would not be visually clear what is wrong in order to correct it. Yes I can think of a better way to display the error ( e.g. just have the W1 icon turn red) but as I am not part of the dCS team sometimes you just have to accept things as they are.

If this is not happening for you I fear that you may be doing something wrong somewhere in your setup. These things are unfortunately difficult to sort out remotely using text only though.

1 Like

Oh wait… I’m using Ethernet source which can’t sync with audio. In this case I guess it just goes to master mode.

Good point.

Admittedly my sense of humour veers a little too far to the right (perhaps I should stick to Ali-bubble jokes? :laughing: )

Any sufficiently complex platform is inevitably going to lead to user errors, especially by brand new users like yourself, not all of which can be prevented or flagged if the system is to remain user-friendly.

IMHO, dCS’ clocking system is a perfect example of striking the right balance between incredible flexibility and simplicity; to be configured once correctly, and forgotten.

ps: Your point about who’s opinion is of greater economic value is quite laughable as well by the way, but I shall refrain from a pissing contests :rofl: