Bartok suddenly turns itself On

It is personal choice whether or not to leave a system switched on 24/7, unless of course there is a storm, or you’re away for a long period of time.
I leave my Naim amplification on all the time, as this is the advice given from Naim. My dCS Bridge which I have on load until my Bartók arrives, is left on 24/7. So is my Matrix Audio DAC. Should I not be doing this?

I have searched the dCS Community and can’t find any advice on this matter. I’m assuming that people who are experiencing this ‘Wake Up’ issue, put their dCS product in ‘Standby’ mode.

@Merlot52 Hi David, when switching to sleep mode (standby), the main display will turn off, the LED beside the Power Button will illuminate and the outputs will be muted, but the unit will remain close to running temperature.

The wake up issue is happening when in sleep mode.

Hi there Erno…Is it detrimental for the unit to be left switched on 24/7? Perhaps shorten the life of the screen?

Do you leave you amps on 24/7?

From the manual: advice from dCS: All LCD displays suffer from staining if they are left for long periods displaying the same image. To avoid unnecessary display wear, we recommend switching off or setting the unit to Sleep mode at the end of the listening session.

So, the wake up issue causes unnecessary display wear.

My amps are also in sleep mode when not in use, as they also remain close to running temperature.

2 Likes

Thanks, that’s good to know. The issue definitely requires sorting.

2 Likes

I’ve reverted to one of those remote control mains socket things. So one button and the whole lot switches on. tbh the other good part of this setup is we have overhead power to the village and often get power cuts and, worse, brown outs. Last week we had a really nasty power cut for three hours and there were several sharp on/offs with the power. Thankfully the hifi switched off and the remote power socket meant it stayed off!

Unfortunately my Bartók switched itself on again during last night. This bug had been fixed in Mosaic 1.1.1, but after 1.1.3 it seems to be back :roll_eyes:

Anyone else with the same experience?

If dCS staff wants, I downloaded the System logs.

Did you experience any mains power blackouts or brownouts around the same time? If the Bartók loses power, when it regains power it will fully switch back on instead of going to standby.

I don’t suppose you happened to see what the display of the Bartók showed once it had been powered on? Mainly, what the source showed as?

Haven’t had any other reports of units still turning themselves on with 1.1.1 or 1.1.3, so it sounds as though something local caused it to power back up.

1 Like

Thanks James. There have been no power issues here last night.

This morning I found my Bartók set as it was when I last used it, source is Network.

I did notice something else strange. The Rossini clock is connected to my Bartók with RS232, so when Bartók switches on, also the clock does. This morning however, when Bartók had switched itself on, the clock was still off. With the previous bug they both were turned on.

@James you were right. There has been a brief power blackout this morning, apparently just before I came in. I just checked my power monitoring system, and there it showed up:

No bug!

2 Likes

Wow, Erno. So sophisticated! I just use my Sony bedside radio/alarm ( now in its 38th year of flawless performance) which loses its time setting if power is switched off. So if I see its display flashing ( i.e. requesting a reset) I know that there has been a power outage :grinning:.

1 Like

Our power monitoring system is there to monitor the solar power station on our roofs, and now also my dCS setup :wink:

My Philips bedside alarm has a backup battery, so is not helpful in this case.

Just leave everything on.
After 48 hour the SQ is better.
You have very cheap power……so.

I can attest to this. I left mine on for several days burning in a couple of headphones. It got better over time. Yes, the headphones sounded better after burn in, but the Bartok also sounded better. Made me think.

Evidently your Bartók is now monitoring your power monitoring system instead, yes? :rofl:

2 Likes

We have 24 solar panels, and the power monitoring system actually is meant to calculate their produce, minus our power consumption. It is working flawlessly, but I am never actively monitoring the power monitoring system. The Bartók again is of great help :smiley:

1 Like

Erno, As I am much in favour of green solutions to power generation I congratulate you. However I am curious on one point.

I recall a few years ago some of the inmates at Audio Asylum went off grid I think by by using solar panels or wind turbines . The expectation was that this would provide a clean 110v/60Hz supply. However some reported less than satisfactory subjective results which, if I remember correctly, were traced to significant amounts of distortion being produced by the power inverter.

I am just wondering if you have any opinion on this?

I am no expert, but as far as I know the solar power is ‘collected’ in a huge battery, that feeds the net. The electricity we use is just coming from the net, so is not directly coming from our own solar panels.

1 Like

My Bartok w/Apex upgrade has recently taken to turning itself on at random times.

I am assuming that when you say turning itself on that is not from full switch off ( i.e. from the rear rocker switch) but from sleep or off from the front panel.

It may help if we knew more complete details of the issue. One thing that does occur to me is if we are talking about the unit being reawakened from sleep mode. Although Bartok does not come with a remote it has an IR receptor so that it can be operated with the dCS universal IR remote. The receptor may react to external stimuli such as some forms of sunlight or other odd sources of IR.

You could experiment to see if this is the cause by temporarily obscuring the receptor eye by using a piece of card placed over the display panel. If this stops the random issue then you will then need detective work to find the IR source. I had a problem with this years ago when a CRT TV opposite my (at the time) Paganini occasionally made the DAC change settings.

1 Like