Bartok stops playing on Network mode

I do not have a WiFi Access Point.
As far as I know, the Technicolor router-modem acts as both. The router feeds my powerline adapters, a Netgear switch in the living room, then onto the Bartok, mac, TV etc…
thanks

Is the problem the same as before, as in your Bartok disappears from Roon zone? Or is the “network disconnection” different now?

Also, you mentioned your Phone is on the WiFi network. Do you mean via VoLTE, or a VoIP App (like Apple’s FaceTime)? What App exactly?

Hi,
Yes Bartok Network disappears from my audio devices when disconnection occurs.
My phone uses the carriers LTE but will use a wifi when available.
When at home, it uses my home network created by my Technicolor router. This is how it connects to Roon.
Thx

Right, your Mobile operator supports WiFi-Calling (VoWiFi) which is usually complementary to VoLTE services. It doesn’t explain the disruption to your Roon though.

When Roon loses it’s Bartok Zone, did you try just Mosaic to stream from Tidal or Qobuz? :thinking:

I ask this because Roon-Bartok losing its Audio Zone and Mosaic-Bartok not being able to stream would normally point to two very different problems [Edit: On 2nd thought, it could point to a problem with your Bartok’s connectivity to your LAN switch. Doesn’t explain why it’s intermittent though]. Basically, it’s important to know for sure whether you’re actually experiencing both issues.

Great questions.

I will try ’ *When Roon loses it’s Bartok Zone, did you try just Mosaic to stream from Tidal or Qobuz?’
So, you want me to see if Mosaic runs Tidal when the Bartok loses it’s Roon connectivity?
I’ll try tonight, after work.
Regards

Hi,
Not conclusive.
Played Roon with Mosaic in background.
Roon played for 2 hours, then stopped. The Bartok is still visible as an audio device now.
Played Tidal thru Mosaic without a hitch.
While Roon was playing, I tried over and over to use different apps on my phone to see what effect it would have on Roon. Nothing.
Sorry, not really helping.

That seems to remove Mosaic from the issue if other applications produce a similar outcome.

Subject to Anup’s excellent advice I wonder if it may be time to cut the Gordian Knot and simply try a different router or switch viz. Andrew’s response about Technicolor routers earlier?

I’m stuck with this router as it is part of the internet provider’s Helix package.
I really thought Andrew’s suggestion about disabling the device detection was going to work.
Maybe he has another rabbit uo his sleeve!
Again, thanks to you all for your support.

I am not familiar with your Helix package but I guess it contains a modem, router and (possibly) a wireless access point (WAP). From my experience with packages available in the UK (Virgin, BT) I suspect that your unit will have multiple ethernet sockets. Are these labelled? Is there one labelled 'WAN" (wide area network)? You may need to consult the unit’s manual - there may be one online if not supplied in paper form. Any other ethernet sockets I would expect to be “LAN” (local area network).

Do you have means of configuring the Helix unit (check the manual) - access to reconfigure is likely to be via a web address?
It is quite likely that you will be able to disable the router function in the Helix unit. If so, and before doing this, you need to connect a separate router to the WAN ethernet port on the unit. From previous posts this may well solve your problem.

[In the UK I use a standard Virgin package (modem+router+wireless access point) with the only the modem enabled and connect the WAN port on this unit to an Apple Airport Extreme which acts as router and WAP. This setup is and has been ultra reliable.]

If Tidal consistently works via Mosaic-Bartok without a hitch, then it would seem to point to some Roon related problem.

In which case the Roon Server Logs would probably provide more clues as to what’s going wrong. In fact, if you track down the log for yesterday, it would probably indicate what happened when as you say “Roon stopped playing after 2 hours”.

It’s still unclear if this is really a network related problem, or something else, but looks like you’re getting the hang of troubleshooting :wink:

We see this a lot with the network hardware provided by the ISPs. The device is trying to be smarter than it should be for residential hardware. It’s occasionally blocking the traffic used by media devices to discover each other. I was hoping that a settings change would fix the problem, but this appears to be a case of “Comcast knows best.” (side note… they really don’t).

Your best course of action here is to purchase a new Wi-Fi router and convert your Technicolor to “Bridge Mode.” In that case it will act as a cable modem only (no routing and no Wi-Fi) and your new router can take over those functions.

I’ve had good luck with the Netgear Nighthawk series and they tend to work out of the box.

Andrew,
Is this model OK for what you suggested?

NETGEAR Nighthawk Smart WiFi Router (R7000P)

I’m wayyy over my head right now; I’ll attempt to bridge the Technicolor when I get the wifi router; anything I should know before I purchase?
How should I connect the Netgear router to the technicolor Modem?

thanks

Yep. That’s the one.

To start you can just plug the Internet / WAN side of the Netgear into one of the Ethernet ports on the Techincolor, then connect your devices to the Ethernet ports on the Netgear. Once it’s all setup and working you can look into bridging the Technicolor. I would get it working first without making any more changes to the existing router.

Great.
Amazon will now do it’s magic.
Keep you posted and Thanks again.

I may not have had the same problem as you Munchoba, but I have had a similar. So I will give you an example that might show that there are several ways to solve the problem.
My network in the house starts by connecting to a service distributor, box on the wall that I also think of as a modem. From outside the house, there is a fiber cable attached to this modem and into the house goes a short ethernet cable (in my case a cat 6a) which connects to the router Technicolor TG799 vac Xtream which was provided by my internet service provider (ISP).

At the start I was using my router as a one-box-for-all solution. It contained a switch and a Wi-Fi-functionality as well. The Wi-Fi was supposed to serve a couple of Chromecasts, a so called smart-TV and a number of handheld devices and computers. The router had a wireless phone connected to it and it was also the starting point for a long ethernet cable going to my music room some 20 meters away on another floor.

About a year ago I started getting into trouble. The Wi-Fi was not quite up to it, it did not reach every corner of the house, and my dedicated music computer in the music room started having difficulties finding the NAS that was connected directly to the router. I tried a number of different solutions but not until the beginning of this year I managed to set up a network system that works without flaws.

I will try to outline how it works with special regards to the music played in the house.

I kept my ISP router (Technicolor TG799 vac Xtream) and did some alterations via its user interface. I kept the wireless phone attached to it but moved everything else at least one step away by adding a short ethernet patch cable running to a simple, unmanaged switch. From this first switch I ran one ethernet cable to a printer, one to the office computer (where I also do maintenance tasks for the system), one to a separate Wi-Fi access point (AP) situated central in the house above the stairs, and then the long ethernet cable to the music room. It ends in a connection to another (fancy but unmanaged) switch which also is connected to my Synology NAS where I keep my music library, and to my dCS Network Bridge (NB) which then is connected to my DAC and preamplifier etc.

The Wi-Fi in the router is totally disconnected (via software/user interface) and the Wi-Fi AP (Ubiquiti UniFi) placed in the roof above the stairs covers all the house and some of the garden. From my music room I can send signals from smartphone or touchscreen via Wi-Fi to the Minimserver on my NAS. The Mosaic app is in my handheld (phone or screen) and communicates with the Mosaic elements in the NB. It works very well and I am pleased with the sound. Furthermore I use my handheld devices to read pdf files stored in respective album folder on my NAS. I can of course reach internet this way if I want more information about a certain artist or piece of music. So far I never felt I needed Roon so I have not tried that.
Best of luck with finding your own best solution!

Thank you for sharing your solution.
my system works fine without Roon!
I use Roon almost exclusively.
I will try Andrew’s suggestion and will see!
Regards
Bernard
Montreal

FWIW,
I’ve been using Roon directy from my Mac to the networked Bartok (not USB) without my phone app (Roon App closed) and no dropoff.
WiFi seems to be the culprit.
More to come.

Hello,
my problems with DCS Mosaic are different than those presented in this thread. They relate to the stability of DCS Mosaic for IOS. Streaming data once I can start it works very stable. Both when I use Roon and Minim Server together with DCS Mosaic. No breaks, and no waiting for the song to be played. The problem I emphasize once again concerns the stability of DCS Mosaic. Usually, before I can choose what I want to listen to, DCS Mosaic closes several times. you have to click the icon on the phone desktop again and start all over again. Source selection, UPNP server selection etc. These are a few steps and each time Mosaic disappears. If this helps, my wife will record what it looks like on the video. I’m just afraid it won’t help.
Best regards Robert

Hi,
I installed the Netgear router, bridged my Technicolor modem/router and once the connected gear was set up, I can say, as Borat would, GREAT SUCCESS!
Been running Roon on my new network thru my phone for a week with no issues.
Thanks to all of you and to Andrew’s solution.
Bernard

High Five! :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:

1 Like