Bartok Apex Upgrade

@Manxman I hadn’t come across Peter Belt, but if anyone wants to trust my audacious claims about pieces of paper improving sound quality, it might be worth trying out different types of wrapping paper. Or not :rofl:

1 Like

Just for the record Peter Belt never made a single claim that his " treatments" improved sound quality. What he asserted was that the product or activity improved the listener’s perception of the sound.

If I wrote that I think my system sounds more enjoyable after I have had a couple of glasses of wine probably few would find that controversial :smiley:. Of course the actual system and the sound it produces remains exactly as it was .

2 Likes

Point taken :slight_smile:

My last comment was more aimed at my pretend ‘upgrade’ using a Post-It note and I’ve rephrased it.

I agree that wine, dark glasses and many, many other things can make a perceived difference to the sound, even when the sound hasn’t changed. It’s a pity the same can’t be said of a Post-It note!

Ad in TAS (March issue):

3 Likes

Any views, perspectives, expectations, guesses whether this upgrade would benefit Bartok HP headphone listening as well?

As the upgrade is not officially available nobody outside of the dCS factory has yet seen or heard one. So no users can provide any impression of any level of advantage over a pre-Apex unit. Further as there has not been any announcement on the dCS “Only he Music” website and or here we do not have any idea of the technology that may be used and therefore be able to even speculate on what it promises compared to existing Vivaldi and Rossini Apex upgrades.

This question may be a little premature. I hope that within the next week or two some of the answers may appear.

1 Like

I see no reason why it wouldn’t. A better dac is a better dac. The rest of the chain also has to be transparent enough though. I listen exclusively to headphones and after auditioning the Lina stack, I bought the Rossini + clock blind, as I had nowhere to audition it. The upgrade is very noticeable. If you’re using the HP out of the Bartok though, it might be less so. Even Lina’s amp was a bottleneck when comparing the stack to my old Dave IMO. It makes MUCH more sense to put the money toward a better HP amp.

2 Likes

My dealer just contacted me. In the United States the upgrade is $9000 unless you purchased in the last 2 years then it’s $4500. I bought mine February 10, 2021. My name is going onto the upgrade list. :money_with_wings:

For those of you who upgraded your Rossini or Vivaldi how long was it until dCS requested your unit for upgrade?

1 Like

That’s disappointing. I bought mine more than two years ago. I don’t know why I should be punished for being an earlier adopter unless it’s simply to impose the price increases after the fact. That does not sit well. I would do the upgrade, but I don’t see value in investing an additional $9000 into a Bartok.

Even if one bought it at the current price that’s almost a 50% reinvestment in the same device. At the earlier prices it’s even more. The economics don’t add up, even in this crazy hobby.

The tiered pricing should have some qualification to it. For example, around two years ago other changes were made to the Bartok that now have to be made to older units in order to enable the APEX upgrade. That could make sense.

Otherwise, the upgrade should be the upgrade, simple as that. What does the extra $4500 buy you other than you’re paying twice what you’re neighbor is paying for the exact same thing?

OK, I’ll let it go. Let the announcement happen and see what is actually true.

3 Likes

For me 3 months. Got it Apex-ed back today.

My dealer requested it back 3 days ago, picked it up yesterday, and returned it today with the upgrade. The local distributor did the actual upgrade.

That depends in part in where you are situated. Further there are probably more Bartok owners ( I hear it has been their biggest selling product) which may lead to longer delays before it is your turn. Further whoever does the upgrade and their capacities may also have a bearing on timing so it may help if you would let us know where you are.

I don’t know if this is relevant to you but in the UK where the upgrade takes place at the dCS factory I had to wait around 5 months from my order until I got the request to send it plus I think about three weeks from when it was picked up by my dealer until its return. Incidentally that was in line with the estimate I was given.

I’m in the Midwest. My dealer says that once dCS requests my DAC turnaround time is 4-6 days. I was pretty surprised.

I’m excited. The 2.0 upgrade was really good. Hoping the Apex is on the same level.

Bought my Bartok HP barely over two years ago at just under HKD100k. Being quoted HKD60k for APEX upgrade with a 5 - 6 months lead time. Hhmm …

Do you know the price if the unit is less than 2 years? would it be HKD 30k then?

Hi Andre, didn’t know you are an dcs audiophile too LOL.

I am a HK runner myself and bump into you frequently.

Anyway, 60K is crazy, did you get your quote from Radar?

1 Like

Looking at the dCS website, the Bartók APEX has now been officially launched!

Considering the upgrade price expected, wouldn’t a better option be adding a Rossini clock?

I vaguely remember hardware upgrade for my Debussy was under 200 GBP?

Was hoping to find a link to the upgrade program for existing Bartok owners but couldn’t locate it. Wanted confirmation of the double-tiered cost for the upgrade…doubled for owners of two years or longer.

1 Like

Hello

Did you notice any difference with Rossini?

Kind regards

Thierry