Apple Music lossless & high-res streaming - how will it be handled?

Did you change your preferences to hi-res downloads?

Thanks- I canā€˜t change that in itunes if buying contentā€¦Could it be that apples doesnā€˜t sell albums in HQ audio and that HQ is only available for their streaming service?

Hmm. I have to go back and look. I donā€™t buy from Apple much anymore. I just have the Music service as part of the family Apple subscription. And Iā€™ve been busy testing iOS/iPadOS 15 and Monterey. It looks a bit different in these versions.

Would seem so. Or at least possible. Iā€™ve just done a comparison of downloading an album into my library using my subscription, and receiving hi-res [24/96] lossless in a .movpkg file identified as HLS Media; so, itā€™s not just streaming. But when purchasing the same album, Iā€™ve received .m4a files at 16/44.

Many thanks Greg- that helps! I was confused about their offering, now it make sense!

You may be interested in this:

1 Like

Thanks Pete!!

Here is one more article:

And I find this one also very interesting:

1 Like

Thanks for posting that. Intriguing

This bit from Darkoā€™s piece is interesting for Roon and dCS, or any other playback, play-through software:

One final thought: MusicKit could maybe ā€“ just maybe ā€“ allow the likes of Roon, Audirvana and Plex to integrate Apple Music.

2 Likes

ā€¦or Mosaic, for that matter. Which would be doubleplusgood as far as Iā€™m concerned.

Thatā€™s what I meant by ā€œdCS.ā€ MusicKit looks like a good potential tool for any streaming aggregator. And given Spotifyā€™s approach to the ā€œsmaller fryā€ like Roon, it could amount to a lifesaver for some of those companies. Iā€™d love to have the Roon interface on top of my Apple Music subscription.

I did not see the word dCS in your post until now. Wow, must be getting old or something :thinking:

1 Like

All of us. I donā€™t hear half of what my wife says; sheā€™s certain itā€™s intentional. :wink:

1 Like

My wife doesnā€™t hear half of what I say; I am certain it is intentional. :joy:

3 Likes

Do yā€™all subscribe to Apple Music? Iā€™m down to just Qobuz these days. Quit Apple Music a while ago, quit Spotify and recently quit Tidal.

Iā€™ve had a Music subscription for quite a while, and now itā€™s rolled into the Apple One plan. Economically, itā€™s reasonable, especially across a family. Still have Qobuz (Studio Sublime). Ditched Tidal. Hoping to see either or both of Roon and Mosaic roll in Apple Music.

1 Like

Subscriptions:

ROON,Qobuz and Tidal for me
Spotify for my kids
Apple Music for my HomePods
Audible for my wife.

The guys who invented subscription-based services are pretty cleveršŸ˜‰

Best
Gregg

2 Likes

Qobuz for me nowā€¦read enough about appleā€˜s ā€žmusic revolutionā€œ ā€¦ twitteringmachines.com feels same about it if one may check the latest entry there.