Adding stillpoints

I did the Lacrosse ball test this morning and determined the center of mass of the Rossini DAC:

The green dot indicates the center of mass, it is centered right-left and about 18.4cm from the front edge of the DAC. The ideal position of three isolating feet would be where the black tape is.

4 Likes

You can actually separate the back ones apart closer to the edge without changing the weight distribution per foot. In fact I think that’s better: putting the back feet closer to the bolts above and below the tape.

I am seriously tempted to add these Stillpoints.

It is a second hand Stillpoints ESS rack in mint condition, from € 20,000 now offered for € 7950.

2 Likes

I use a SolidTech Rack Of Silence, not dissimilar in construction to the above. The one thing I would warn you about is that the positions of those Stillpoint supports is not super flexible.

1 Like

Thanks Miguel. The shop informed me that only the middle V-shaped bars are adjustable, as well as the height of the floating middle ‘shelf’.

This is one PACKED rack:

3 Likes

Very interesting. Any thoughts about using Nordost Sort Kones? I’ve used them and liked them with amps.

Jeff

1 Like

No thoughts sorry

1 Like

I have sortkones under my upsampler, dac, transport and clock as well as amps. As a part of reconfiguring i have switched preamp to stillpoints. I cant say that i notice a significant change in sq but plan to switch out all sortkones on dcs to stillpoints just to give me confidence that that someone wont accidentally slide one off of its pedestal or damage the undersurface due to abrasion. Although no grand children or children, curious visitors just get too close. Amps are on sortkones and i plan to keep them there at this point. Their proximity to the ground, radiating heat and blade like heat sinks seem to provide a natural barrior to bystanders. Primary power conditioner does not currently have isolation because of lack of rack space. Due to its position in a remote area in the rack and rack reconfiguration coming up i will likely end up with sortkones under it. I will report once completed

1 Like

Makes sense to me. I’m generally a fan of the Kones. Thx.

Buy it! I’ve had mine for years and won’t be without it. Easy to adjust as your system changes plus easy to upgrade with various Ultra’s.

1 Like

Thanks Paul. I nearly did it, but it appeared to be not so mint as advertised.

Never mind. It’s rare they come up.