Would I benefit by adding a master clock to my Bartok

For clarification I have not been using three clocks for twenty odd years. Each clock has been succeeded by another. So an average to date of 7 years each ( though in reality only 4 years for the latest).

The Vivaldi transport only requires a single clock at 44.1KHz base as this serves both CD and SACD. So no practical problem involving dual clocks with using a Paganini wordclock. However the version of Paganini wordclock does make a difference in regard to streaming.

There are two versions of Paganini wordclock, one without a USB input and one with. The original Paganini stack has its wordclock input on the upsampler box but this has limited ability to process hi-res formats. The later version with the USB input on the wordclock box ( known as Wordclock 2 ) has the ability to handle a wider range of streamed digital resolutions.

Further to the above each generation of wordclock improves upon its predecessor. Vivaldi wordclock is significantly better than Paganini ( I have owned both). Your question is whether the Paganini clock is optimal with a Vivaldi transport. Sadly it is not.

Thank you. I have the second version. The only streaming that I do is from my own home media server with pag clock, upsampler and dac. It does allow the usb input. I understand that each generation of technology improvement would yield a better end product. I was asking only if I was using my existing equipment to it’s fullest capability in that I could allow the transport to clock itself (I believe) rather than have the paganini clock it. I understand that upgrading each component would yield a better result.

That is actually a slightly different question.

The Wordclock performs two tasks. One is providing a more accurate clock, The second is to synchronise processes when using more then a single digital component. In regard to the latter consideration using the Paganini wordclock to provide a single clock pulse to Vivaldi transport and Paganini DAC and Upsampler rather than letting the Vivaldi transport rely on its own clock may be preferable.

1 Like

I too have been wondering how much I would benefit from adding a clock to my system. Honestly, I’m a little afraid of the answer. I just got a Bartok last month, after putting the dealer demo in my system there was no way I could not buy it. My system has never sounded better. I use roon via ethernet connection as a single source. I’ve been reading through these forums and have seen multiple people say Rossini is better than Bartok + Rossini clock. Since the price of Rossini is similar to Bartok + Rossini clock I started to wonder, what is the point of placing a clock with the Bartok. Why bother? Why not just upgrade to Rossini. Why does the Bartok have inputs at all? Can anyone with more experience with dCS comment? I guess I should also add, I did not add the headphone amp to the Bartok. I don’t listen to headphones and never will. So maybe for people who use headphones a clock would make sense? But what about people who just prefer the plain old loudspeaker?

Two years ago I bought Bartók with HP, and half a year later added the Rossini clock, with great SQ improvement as a result. In those days, before the price hike, this combination was significantly more affordable than the Rossini.

Once I have sought out my next headphone setup, I will move to Rossini, trading in my Bartók, and of course keep the Rossini clock. In the meantime I enjoy the improvement to my Bartók setup.

I think you are right in saying that a non-HP Bartók with Rossini clock is less useful pricewise, if you can get a Rossini right away for about the same investment.

But be aware: once you have a Rossini, you will want the clock anyway, later.

2 Likes

I am currently in the same boat as Erno and can echo his comments. The Rossini Clock made a significant improvement to the Bartok in terms of SQ.

2 Likes

Have been lurking here for a while, thank you all for sharing great information. I just ordered a Rossini clock to pair with my Bartok at my local dealer. Headphone listening is an important use case for me, so sadly the upgrade to the Rossini was out of the question. If dCS provided Rossini+Headhone amp product I probably would have gone that route.

In the meantime, for folks who do use the Rossini clock, what are your clock I/O cable recommendations for the Rossini Clock <–> Bartok? How critical is the quality of the clock signal cable between the Bartok and Rossini clock?

1 Like

Does the clock come with stock cables or do you have to purchase cables in addition to the clock?

I’m close to adding the clock to my Bartok too (also a headphone listener).

1 Like

Yes the Rossini clock comes with cables suitable for the wordclock interface.

As with all cables supplied with dCS products these are basic commercial grade cables. They perform the function but individuals may prefer other cable brands of similar specification.

1 Like

There have been numerous posts here about wordclock cables, their specification, importance and personal preferences. In fact so many posts that rather than linking one I suggest that you simply put a search term like "What clock cable " in the search box at the top of this page and read the results at your leisure.

3 Likes

A summary loosely based on all clock cable threads here: please start investigating these:

1. Geistnote Wyde Eye
  2. Van Damme
  3. Blue Jeans

I use 1. and am very happy with them.

6 Likes

Just to point out that although you refer to the clock cable as a singular item you will need to buy two of them.

1 Like

Strongly endorse Erno’s post. I have all three of the ones he recommends, and all perform excellently. There are folks here who love some more expensive brands, and you might also. But start with a reasonable baseline, get an ear for the (hopefully) improved SQ, and then start demoing more expensive cables if you so desire.

1 Like

@Ermos @PaleRider @PAR Thank you for your guidance, really appreciate it (…and note to self: use search before posting :slight_smile: )

I will start with these cable recommendations and go from there. I also have a Transparent reference power cable and power conditioner and will do some testing on how each affects the clock when I get it.

1 Like

Oh no. “Thanks” to this thread I am now seeing a Rossini clock addition in my future!

The Bartok sounds amazing through my speakers but I too use the headphone amp in it with my Verite headphones and love the sound. And wouldn’t want to give that up for a Rossini DAC. I am truly astonished to hear from so many of you that the SQ can get even better with the Bartok/clock combo.

Out of curiosity, what do you all hear that’s so much better? I know this is an almost impossible question to answer, but can any of you take a shot at it? I wonder if there will be consensus in your responses?

Thanks

4 Likes

We can be lengthy about adding the clock. We can be very short.

Demo it with the clock. Listen for some minutes. Like? Then push the Power button on front of the clock (switch it off now).

Sold.

1 Like

Luckly my dealer does not have a Rossini clock to demo. Otherwise, after reading this thread, I believe I would be sold.

1 Like

1 Like

Thanks Pete. Insightful points to my considerations about adding a clock to my Bartók HP (and using only network sources). I should have stopped reading the thread after your post though. :sweat_smile: