What's Spinning September 2022

This is a ‘new’ album. I bought (and ripped) the CD which was released on 1st July '22.
Qobuz released a 24/192 version on 12th August '22.

I’ve been travelling since the album was released, but I think that the SQ is excellent when played through my Matrix Mini-i Pro 3 headphone amp (which I always take on my travels).
I am looking forward to hearing it on my main system!

For anyone interested, here is a review.

3 Likes

These are getting a lot of play this week.

Screenshot 2022-09-01 at 15.59.24

Screenshot 2022-09-01 at 15.59.45

4 Likes

Just found a magnificent recording of Dvorak’s cello concerto op 104. Perfect orchestral balance and séparation, Dynamism, definition, lyrism, altogether with a rare sense of unity. Addictive !

Strange thing : my Bartok indicates a rate of 14/44.1 … Nonetheless the quality of the recording is outstanding !

4 Likes

I’m listening to this classic album.

It’s extraordinary that, next year, it will be 50 years since it was released!

It still sounds incredible to my ears…

2 Likes

We are getting old :grinning:

3 Likes

Indeed. Luckily, my hearing hasn’t deteriorated too much (yet!)

1 Like

Thanks for this. I love Friday, so this is a welcome new chapter.

I just found out that this release (Royal Philharmonic Orchestra) is coming, end of October 2022:

3 Likes

Interesting, thanks.

Here is yesterday’s article in Hi-Fi News on The Manor Studio, where Tubular Bells was recorded, picturing how that was done:

2 Likes

An interesting read, thanks.

1 Like

Qobuz FLAC 44.1/ 16 and 24

1 Like

DSD 128 NativeDSD download available here

1 Like

Long time fave.

1 Like

Still trying to decide how I feel about this production in comparison to my fave, the 1994 Guthrie/Sax production. . Some aspects I love. It seems that detail is better resolved, as is the bass (the Valors are rumbling the living room on Dogs maybe even a bit too much), and perhaps the vocals as well. But I’m not so sure about guitars and keyboards. The 2018 sounds more digital to my ears, and I want to stress that’s not necessarily a bad thing. The “smoothness” of some analog can also sound more rolled off and less dynamic. It’s also possible that 1994 soundstage is a bit wider. Like photography, where one can enjoy both the crispness of modern lenses and digital sensors on the one hand, and the look and feel of vintage lenses and various film stock on the other. Problems, problems. :confused:

4 Likes

Coincidence! I am right now listening to this Qobuz 2018 Remix! (FLAC 192kHz 24bit)

My library has several versions, too early to call what is best.

But definitely the best is the version I attented live at Earls Court, London, end of the 1970’s, during a school trip to London.

4 Likes

Wonderful. I’ve not seen them perform any Animals cuts live. Would have loved that. And likewise, I have multiple versions. Until now, the ‘94 was the definite fave. But more listening is warranted.

2 Likes

Pink Floyd at Earls Court, London - that brings back memories…
Didn’t see Animals there, but The Wall. Unforgettable.

2 Likes

Marcus Mumford - self titled

Tidal FLAC 48kHz 24bit, MQA 48kHz

Lanois turns back the clock with a deliberately vintage tone that harks back to the 1940s and '50s. Utilizing ribbon mics, dampened strings, and felt-muted hammers, Lanois creates a nostalgic sound to compliment his sparse, ethereal compositions.

2 Likes