What's spinning March 2022

‘Pin Drop’ features double bassist, Adam Ben Ezra, performing live in front of a (relatively) small audience.

I found his playing particularly impressive on the track ‘Can’t Stop Running’.

The album is available to stream on Tidal and Qobuz (but not the download, which I got from Bandcamp).

2 Likes

Can’t wait to try Pin Drop. Listening now to one of the latest from Octave Records. Another superb SQ/RQ recording with some amazing energy. Very talented trio.

1 Like

I watched Scabaret’s promo video on Octave/PSA. I was intrigued, but haven’t taken it any further, yet…

Seemingly I should.

1 Like

3 Likes

I have downloaded it, and concur with your assessment.

What a fun listen!

It’s gone straight into my favourites folder.

1 Like

Another from Sound Liaison. Olivier is clearly talented though his voice is not as appealing to me as I had hoped. I find the music here a bit uneven, but exceptionally well-recorded. Some of his interpretations of other artists don’t do much for me, but some do. I really like Crazy Love here, but am not (yet) sold, for example, on Message in a Bottle or Over the Rainbow. His originals are I think more interesting. RQ/SQ are excellent. Much is made at Sound Liaison about the use of Schnerzinger devices and, while I remain a heavy skeptic of that company’s claims, there is no denying the audiophile quality of this recording.

RoonShareImage-637831873968416730

2 Likes

Thanks Greg, I’ll check out that album.

Schnerzinger devices appear to be getting more online ‘exposure’ recently.
Coincidentally, I was looking at their website the other day…

Like you, I am a skeptic of the claimed attributes of their various product offerings.

Apparently they offer home demos, but I’m not sure if that’s only been an option recently…
perhaps as a result of garnering more attention, or a consequence of not enough sales?

I’ve just looked at the Sound Liaison website entry for this album.

In the Schnerzinger paragraph of the write up, it says;

I even mastered a few of our DXD recordings (Embrace Me and Ray!) to tape as I found that it gave those recordings just that little extra mojo needed."

- Frans de Rond

I have both of those albums (downloads) in my favourites folder.

Hmmm…

1 Like

Yeah, I am open to learning how and maybe even trying.

1 Like

I’m thinking likewise…

I have just listened to the album, and agree with your assessment.

I will post this album in the Folk/Acoustic thread for those that are only focused on those genres (and don’t look at this thread).
Perhaps @Macspur may find it of interest.

FWIW, Melody Gardot’s version of ‘Over the Rainbow’ is my current favourite.

1 Like

Haevn - Eyes Closed

61Xvd5mPWXL.AC_UY436_QL65

A man and his bassoon. Paul Hanson is something else. Not sure I would go so far as to describe this as the jazz personification of Jimi Hendrix (though check Rite of Scorpio, wow), but this is some very engaging music. I don’t think the SQ is as good as some other Blue Coast releases, but the RQ is quite good, and it sure suits a dreary Saturday afternoon.

RoonShareImage-637833055651959450

1 Like

Sounds intriguing!

Hello, not able to find it on Qobuz. You bought it or you can enjoy it through Tidal ?

Late-night, nightclub dark, atmospheric. Great recording. A gem of an album.
Screenshot 2022-03-20 at 09.50.26

2 Likes

2 Likes

Yeah, I didn’t see it on Qobuz either. Bought it from Blue Coast.

1 Like

I am a blues groveling addict. How did I not know about her? Apparently I need to shoot up, er, imbibe, er, listen more often. Thanks for posting. She deserves better RQ/SQ, but it’s not terrible on either album, just not as good as it ought to be for that voice, and what a voice.

3 Likes

Thanks Greg.