‘Cry Of Gulchura’

from the album ‘From Baku To New York City’

Protege of Ahmad Jamal, partnered here by his trio’s bassist

The acoustic bass will give your speakers a nice tryout

Tidal PCM 16/44.1

4 Likes

Playing it now. Qobuz FLAC 96/24.

3 Likes

Good piano recording to start the new month (available on Qobuz).

3 Likes

Qobuz FLAC 96/24.

1 Like

Enjoying this

1 Like

Greg this album has focussed my attention on my speakers

ATCs are designed first and foremost with the piano in mind, and really shine in active form

ATC founder Billy Woodman played piano from a young age and has a great passion for piano jazz

The dynamics on an album such as this are not often successfully reproduced at home , ‘Mirror’ here for example

This is sounding terrific in my rig: Bartok > SPL Phonitor 2 > ATC SCM19A actives

1 Like

That’s great to hear Andy. This was one that popped up via Roon Radio, and I had a kind of whiplash effect as my head snapped around, and I said out loud: “Wow, that really sounds great!”

1 Like

If you like that one may I also recommend Jacky Terrason A Paris. A favourite of mine (and AndyL great on my Vivaldi /ATC 50ASL combination).

4 Likes

Great music and excellent recording. Source is MA Recordings.

1 Like

Excellent record. Available on Tidal or Qobuz.

The music is pleasant enough, but the RQ and SQ are off-the-charts terrible. So bad they I checked the drivers in my speakers to see if one of them had gone out. Qobuz FLAC 44/16.

Unfortunately 2L only delivers MQA for streaming, so Qobuz hosts the MQA 24/44.1kHz (“unfolding” to a much diluted 24/352.8kHz) version of this wonderful album. The original recording of “Living” was made in DXD. I can’t seem to find it any more for download and I can’t remember where I originally bought it in DXD.
The other Hoff albums can be found on nativeDSD in DXD, but not “Living”

1 Like

just taking this album out for a fifth spin in two days

I love it when that happens, so rare

thanks for the tip

I believe that the album was originally released in Pure Audio Blu-ray but you can get it via high resolution digital download on Qobuz or HD Tracks.

It’s also available at HigResAudio.com, in FLAC96, FLAC192, MQA and even DSD64. Probably also direct from 2L.no direct but their shop page isn’t working for me at the moment.

1 Like

Morten Lindberg (owner of 2L) is a proponent of MQA, so 2L only sells MQA these days and their shop has been down for a while.
Having said that probably there is no audible difference between the 24/192kHz (or even the 96) and the 24/352.8kHz). For comparison purposes, the title track of Living is available at the 2L test bench in various resolutions, incl. 24/352.8kHz.

Very enjoyable listening and well recorded.
Qobuz 44/16

1 Like

Boxer Rebellion - Ocean by Ocean

1 Like

This is new to me, and I am enjoying it. Thanks.