What’s Spinning March 2021

Found it on Qobuz (44.1/16). I’ll have a listen…

afbeelding

1 Like

Thanks Ruud @ruudvde , I missed this one last Friday.

Lanois said of the album: “We want to lift people’s spirits with this music. It’s so easy to feel isolated right now, but we want everyone to feel included in what we’re doing. Our goal was to be a force for good with these songs. We wanted to remind people not to let the world steal their joy, to remind them that even during a global pandemic, it’s our responsibility to protect our spirits and find ways to keep on dancing, keep on singing, keep on teaching, keep on loving.” The album features guitarist Rocco DeLuca, organist Johnny Shepherd and bassist Jim Wilson.

Writing for Exclaim!, Larry Mullin wrote: “Beautiful as these less lo-fi tracks are, they’re better suited for a different, effects-driven project. What instead makes Heavy Sun memorable are Lanois’ exercises in restraint, like the pretty harmonies with his bandmates and the space ceded to Shepherd’s vocal-organ one-two-punch. Regardless, this album reveals that Lanois is as gifted a collaborator and curator of talent as he is a creator of atmospheric productions for megastars.”

At Mojo, James McNair said: “Heavy Sun is a salve against pandemic blues; a joyous gospel record largely built on the Hammond of Johnny Shepherd, sometime organist at Zion Baptist in Shreveport, Louisiana. Lanois’ nuanced production brings gospel to other, sometimes dubbier realms.”

Superb sounding. Nice test for HF extension and overal sound balance. I have been listening for it for many years without being bored. hammered dulcimer leading on some tracks so beautiful

3 Likes

afbeelding

Qobuz FLAC 44.1/16

In the immortal words of Monty Python, “and now for something completely different”…

Qobuz FLAC 96/24

1 Like

Redbook rip.

2 Likes

Allman Brown - Gold In The Water (EP)

Great album! I have the 192/24 version in my library.

Qobuz 96/24

1 Like

Quite pleasurable.

FLAC 44.1kHz 16bit

3 Likes

Another Daniel Lanois masterpiece. Qobuz FLAC 44/24.

3 Likes

That voice.

1 Like

That track with Melody Gardot is fabulous!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

March has been full so far! I’ve got some catching up to do. Thanks for sharing, everyone :smiley:

Here’s one that’s new to me, and has been a lovely relaxing Friday listen:

Always enjoy his voice :+1:

A minute in and this has me. Nice.