What’s Spinning June 2021

Qobuz 16/44.1

Tidal FLAC 44.1kHz 24bit, MQA 44.1kHz

Tidal FLAC 44.1kHz 16bit

1 Like

Splinter_SFABM_Cover

Hello everyone, I’m excited to be new here. What a great community this is.

I’m introducing myself via a mini album review:

Gary Numan is a pioneer of electronic music. Kraftwerk were already there before him. But he was the one who pushed open the door to the world of pop for electronic music. Numerous acts refer to him as an inspiration. Among them are the well-known Nine Inch Nails. Numan’s first records topped the UK charts in 1979 and 1980. Now, after a period of meagre widespread appeal, he’s back at number two in the UK charts with ‘Intruder’. ‘Intruder’ didn’t really grab me. Maybe I gave up too quickly. The songwriting takes a bit of a back seat and the technical textures take centre stage. Get me right, the textures are superbly executed. I just prefer to spend my time on music where the songwriting also comes across as excellent.

Long story short, this made me go back into his catalogue and pull out “Splinter - Songs from a Broken Mind”. It was released in 2013 and follows a seven-year hiatus in creativity. The album conveys true and utter darkness. Darkness like we find in pitch black places in our minds and dark times in our lives. And then there is captivating beauty to be found at the same time. The musical craft has more than enough depth and makes the listening session an artful experience. Music is, after all, a highly individual affair. Our reactions will vary greatly. For me, the album triggered quiet joy. Perhaps out of feeling understood…

For all those who enjoy live recordings, I also recommend putting on the record ‘Savage (Live from Brixton Academy)’.

3 Likes

I shall have to listen. I have been a Kraftwerk fan since . . . well, since there was Kraftwerk.

Just out from PS Audio Octave Records. Off the chart RQ.

1 Like

Nice.

Also good (and easy to work to — for me at least):

2 Likes

afbeelding

1 Like

DSD 128 (NativeDSD)

1 Like

afbeelding

afbeelding

DSD 128 (NativeDSD)

1 Like