What’s Spinning February 2023

Yes. No dice… ; )

It’s fine. Hopefully resolved next week. In anticipation I went to Chelsea this afternoon and bought 10 SACDs to test my first rips but this will have to wait.

Among them found a used Art Tatum Piano Starts Here, Bartok Works for Piano Solo, Debussy La Mer, etc.

New York City is still good for a few things…

: )

3 Likes

Looking forward to you “letting her rip”!

1 Like

2 Likes

Loving these!

2 Likes

2 Likes

Where did you go? I live in Chelsea.

1 Like

as I understood you can rip the SACDs to DSD with the hack :slight_smile: , so do they sound better vs. 96/24? I ask this question because some SACD titles are available for downloads but not in DSD (only PCM).
Thanks!

Academy Records on West 18 is a NYC institution and buys and sells thousands of CDs. SACD selection for Jazz is thin (thinner now after my visit) ; ) SACD selection for classical is deep.

Enter at your own risk! ; )

3 Likes

2 Likes

Actually, some SACDs are still available for download as DSD. But the answer is “it depends.” It depends on the quality of the recording, the source used, etc., like everything else in this hobby.

1 Like

Can you point me to them please?

Yeah, I know Academy, great store. I’m on 23rd St & 10th Ave.

1 Like

Well, no doubt the selection ain’t what it used to be just a few years ago, but I’d start with Blue Coast and your favorite, Octave. :wink: Both sell SACDs and DSD downloads of their recordings.

Ok, understood. I thought you had found MoFi DSD downloads! :smiley:

I only wish that were so, my friend! However, a passing comment (on SA-CD.net, IIRC), suggested that there are pirated files “out there.” A quick search with BitTorrent appeared to confirm this. I say this only informationally; I wholeheartedly oppose piracy in any form.

They are likely SACD rips just like we do them.

1 Like

I liked the write-up for this on Qobuz. I will have to check it out; added to my queue.

1 Like