What’s Spinning February 2023

6 Likes

4 Likes

Ah, fond memories of the 1970’s when I first heard (and was enamoured by) this album.
Life was very different at that time (in my case, the innocence/ignorance of youth)…

1 Like

Likewise Jonathan. Good, sometimes unfamiliar, memories. Now this disc does not sound anything like that old LP of mine. MoFi did a superb job.

1 Like

Hitherto, I’ve not bought any SACD’s (as I don’t have the requisite disk spinner), although I have invested quite heavily in various DSD downloads (principally jazz/classical).

Do you you know whether or not this MoFi SACD version is also available as a download?

It’s not available as a download. But it’s playable on a CD player, and rippable in Redbook on any computer. And as we’ve discussed elsewhere, for about $50 and a little time, you can be ripping the SACD layer as well.

2 Likes

Thanks. I may well decide to go for it, and rip it (the red book, and possibly the SACD layer too)…

1 Like

I would strongly recommend people to try SACD ripping. The DVD players required can be easily found these days and the process is relatively simple.

3 Likes

Found this one today on Qobuz, Unthank | smith, nowhere and everywhere.
Played it already 3 times and liking it more and more.

Sounds like an honest recording, not too much polishing done imo.

1 Like

Just received mine today based on your and @PaleRider’s recommendation. I hope it’s okay if I DM if I have set-up questions…

1 Like

Of course!

1 Like

Thank you Greg.

Unfortunately I ran into an unexpected snafu not covered in the documentation: Amazon reseller sent the wrong BluRay player… (!) :roll_eyes:

Ouch. I understand that complete disappointment. Did you check the one you received against the working models list in that post at PS Audio?

THIS…

192/24 on Qobuz.

3 Likes

Yes. No dice… ; )

It’s fine. Hopefully resolved next week. In anticipation I went to Chelsea this afternoon and bought 10 SACDs to test my first rips but this will have to wait.

Among them found a used Art Tatum Piano Starts Here, Bartok Works for Piano Solo, Debussy La Mer, etc.

New York City is still good for a few things…

: )

3 Likes

Looking forward to you “letting her rip”!

1 Like

2 Likes

Loving these!

2 Likes

2 Likes

Where did you go? I live in Chelsea.