What’s Spinning April 2023

Exquisite music and superb recoding.

Screenshot 2023-04-23 at 12.07.20

5 Likes

Avi Kaplan - Floating of a Dream

41TCujkE1kL.AC_UY436_QL65

1 Like

Not the most polished recording, but I always come back to it.

2 Likes

I just watched Amadeus again (great movie about W.A.Mozart) - does one know if the soundtrack is available on dsd? I checked Amazon, it seems that there are two versions (one disc and a two disc /directors cut) but its CD quality only and nothing to download from. Thanks folks!

1 Like

Unsurprising as we are dealing with a film and OST from 1984.This was before there were such things as hi - res or DSD. Unlikely that any commercial company would think it a viable proposition to remaster a nearly 40 year old movie soundtrack unless it accompanied a remastering and re-release of the film itself.

If you like the music buy the CDs . If you have no CD spinner and can only play files then you could buy a cheap optical drive and some ripping software ( e.g. dbpoweramp) and do it yourself.

Thanks Par- Indeed that makes no sense time wise. I found out that there was a SACD disc release but guess this was not a re-mastering! So CD quality should be sufficient…

Interesting but I can find no trace of an SACD of the OST. There nay be such a release but my searches fail to orovide any information. However what the searches have revealed is that various small labels cashed in on its popularity by putting out “Amadeus” albums consisting of the same Mozart works culled from old versions now in the public domain ( often pre-stereo). You need a bit of knowledge to weed these out ( whichever format). The OST is played by the wonderful Academy of St. Martins in the Field with highly regarded soloists or choral groups where appropriate. I think it was on the Fantasy label in the USA, A&M in Canada and London Records in the UK.

So caveat emptor.

sad week for music lovers

3 Likes

Pete, apparently there is; https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001ZMXHM/?tag=sacdinfocom-20

1 Like

Thanks Pete- so as Anup mentioned the SACD on Amazon- is this a re-mastering or just pimped up CD quality pressed on SACD…I guess I’ll end up buying the CD (directors cut has 2 discs).

Thanks Anup but I checked your link and although the title says it is a hybrid SACD if you read the format offer part below t only a a CD is offered albeit at a very high price. Is this an error or poor web design causing confusion? That is Amazon USA and I also checked the UK one and only CD is offered including Directors Cut.

In regard to @T38.45 's query as there is no provenance given with SACDs ( like the SPARS code on CDs) so we don’t know. Given the date of the film the soundtrack will virtually certainly have been an analogue recording . So it cannot have been a digital original and any SACD would be either an upsample of the CD production master issued earlier or a DSD dub from an analogue master (preferable).

Thanks Pete for diving in here! I’ll get the CD version

Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 13.56.00
Followed by
Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 13.55.32

1 Like

Nice recording and a “chilled” set…

5 Likes

Great choice! Same playing here now…

1 Like

3 Likes

That’s quite a coincidence!

Pete, at one point in time, Amazon was relabelling many hybrid SACDs simply as “Audio CD”, apparently because buyers were avoiding them on the assumption they don’t work in normal CD players. This continues to be the case in many instances on Amazon even now.

I don’t know for sure, I don’t own the disc, but the Amadeus SACD appears to date from 2005 as a genuine hybrid SACD, and a very good one at that, at least according to the (now defunct) sa-cd.net site;

1 Like

Ordered the SACD on Discogs yesterday (now I’m looking for a SACD transporter :wink: )

1 Like

2 Likes