What’s Spinning April 2021

I know I’m supposed to be listening to Cocteau Twins all April (sorry, Erno…five runs through was good in one sitting though!), but I wanted to do my bit for a couple of really talented musicians back home in New Zealand.

This album is 32 years old this year, and it feels as fresh and creative as it did when it came out.

I don’t think I’ve heard many albums that cover the kinds of stories that these two people do.

• the quality of the acting in Casablanca (!) (7)
  • the dilemma about whether to tell your mate that there’s some infidelity afoot (9)
  • a slightly awkward (and very, very Kiwi) meeting between two mates (3)
  • a sad/happy tune to a mate who’s not around (5)

Great album. It’s even nicely recorded. Nice way to go into the weekend.

2 Likes

Tidal 16/44,1

Paul Cardall - A New Creation

The opening tack on this should be used in a soundtrack.

Available in 96/24

Lovely recording image

4 Likes

I agree! What's Spinning January 2021

1 Like

For something a bit different and left field try Nik Bärtsch’s new solo album ‘Entendre’. usually he plays with his band Ronin but here he strips some of his ‘Modul’ pieces bare and reinterprets them for solo piano. On Qobuz at 24/96 - I’ve just preordered the LP as I just love his music.

5 Likes

Ian Dury in MQA, can you believe it? Reason to be cheerful!

Tidal FLAC 44.1kHz 24bit, MQA 44.1kHz

2 Likes

With its immaculate but not oppressive sound quality, this collection gives listeners the best seat in the house [London’s Hammersmith Apollo theater].

Tidal FLAC 44.1kHz 16bit, MQA 44.1kHz

Love Ian Dury. Really enjoyed his son Baxter’s album “Floor Show”, too.

1 Like

Thanks Ben, I was not aware of his son. Lined it up for a listen.

Very Best of Fleetwood Mac

This MQA release is good. Best version of Gypsy I have heard.

1 Like

Jim, try the version of Gypsy on the 2016 Remaster of “Mirage”, it’s even better (also on Tidal in MQA). The full 24/96 PCM version of that remaster on Qobuz is the best though :laughing:

I have a 24/96 HD tracks version but this MQA version is better. I will try the Mirage version later.

I have manyl MQA recordings and this is really one of the best.

Too many dodgy upsampled albums masquerading as high-res on HD Track’s early days put me off them completely. It may not be as bad these days, but I still rarely buy stuff from there.

Thanks. Will check that out.

The album I first played on my brand new dCS equipment a year ago. Dang, I’m in love.

2 Likes

No words. DSD64.

“Miss Sarajevo” on this album = U2 + Pavarotti
I am a sucker for genre bending albums

1 Like

I enjoyed that flick. And I don’t remember really noticing the soundtrack. Will check it out.

1 Like